Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 07:52 PM   #1  

Default Bmi

I know that the BMI number is not relavent if you are athletic or a body builder but, I've never been explained to why this is true.

Example: I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 142 lb. but have low body fat because I'm quite athletic. My BMI is 22 but, I guess that is useless information.

Can anyone help me under stand this a little better.

Thanks guys!

nancy
Old 08-10-2001, 11:46 PM   #2  

BMI relates your height to your weight. If you are an athlete or a body builder, you tend to have a higher weight for your height because you are so muscular (and have a low body fat percentage). The higher weight isn't a problem at all, muscle is so much more dense than fat that you're significantly smaller (and healthier!). BUT since BMI registers ONLY height and weight, and not what that weight actually IS, it's irrelevant for those with low body fat (in the single digits or extremely low teens). Generally for people who are working out in clubs or at gyms and not training for events or are not serious professional athletes, BMI is a good measure. Just take it with a grain of salt, and be realistic about how much of an athlete you are, and how realistic that number really is for you. If you decide that it's not that applicable, then go with monitoring your body fat percentage as your measure of health.
Closed Thread