Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Default Quiting smoking and weight loss or lack of!

Ok so I am on my third week of not smoking and basically I gained 2.4 lbs the first week and lost .4 lbs the second week but if I go by my scale at home I have gained more... I have been keeping to my points, drinking a ton of water, walking over 8 miles a week but for some reason I just can not get my metabolism to kick back in and start dropping weight again.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do? and how long did it last?

Also, any suggestions for anyone out there?

Thanks!
Princess
Old 05-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Wondering how you are all doing. I hope all is well.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

Princess, I don't know what to tell you about the weight gain, except that you just have to do what you know is healthy and right for you. But when you sort it out I sure could use the information as I need to be able to support my sister if this becomes an issue with her.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #4  

Well I went to W/I on Saturday morning and am down 2.8 lbs... I did not get any replies to this post so I started asking around and was told to look into some energy drinks such as sugar free red bull and some other options that are out there, one that is called FRS Plus is really good and healthy also! Basically the suggestion was to try one or two a day and see if that would kick start my metabolism and I guess it worked or maybe it was a combination of everything, I also walked more and tried the "Wendie Plan" but did not stick to that faithfully but I did stick to my WW faithfully and the water and the walking and everything else that we are supposed to do and something clicked because 2.8 lbs just about put me on cloud nine!

It is week four of not smoking and week 11 for WW with a total loss of 16.2 so I will take it and be grateful for my blessings.

I feel great and the energy drinks seems to help me thru my evening walks so I would say to give it a try to anyone that is having the same or similiar problems as I have experienced.

Princess
Old 05-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #5  
Amy

S/C/G: 233/188/155

Height: 5'6"

I have no advice for you. Sorry about that. However, I want to say that I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! Losing weight is such a hard thing and a great accomplishment when we succeed. And now you've quit smoking!!! Kudos to you. Congratulations to you and your loved ones!!! --Amy
Old 05-23-2006, 02:29 AM   #6  
The Beauty of Balance

Week 4! Here's to another 4, Princess! Are you sure the red bull is a good idea. I am just concerned about trading one addiction for another. Although I have to say it will be easier for you to step down from caffeine than the nicotine. The walking is a wonderful idea. Not only gives you exercise but time to clear your head. I am pulling for you.. please keep posting.

Jayde
Old 05-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #7  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

I quit smoking and losing weight is harder. I gained weight, but that was because my eating picked up as my smoking decreased. After doing some research I discovered that a 7 pound weight gain is normal after quitting smoking, so I really didn't sweat it...hey..you can lose wieght much easier than lung cancer....worry about one thing at a time. I mean do watch the points, but your metabolism is trying to kick start itself after artifically going on nicotine so your wieght will flucuate "sp?" Reward yourself often with non-food awards for milestones in not smoking, keep excersing, it helps with the cravings.

Good luck..Warm hugs..sorry I didn't catch this earlier for ya, I know how frustrating that can be..
Old 05-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #8  

Thanks for the suggestions and words of wisdom, they are greatly appreciated!

I understand the concerns about the energy drinks, the one that I mentioned FRS plus has the amount of caffine of a half of cup of tea, red bull on the other hand has much more so that is something to watch out for. For now it is all working together to get my body back up and going...

I did not want to experience the larger amount of weight gain, not that anyone does, but I really wanted to be as successful as possible and nothing brings down your spirits like jumping on the sale come W/I day and them saying "well your up two pounds again" that just makes it all worse so after some research I tried a few things and got lucky so far but the walking, watching my points, drinking the water, and positive thinking have all been a huge benefit.

Thanks again everyone and I will keep you posted. If anyone else is going thru the weight loss and not smoking thing and needs help just give me a shout because I would be glad to assist or share my research with anyone that needs it.

Have a happy day all!
Princess

Last edited by Princess1122; 05-23-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Closed Thread