Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #1  

Default 6 "Glasses" of Water

How many ounces are in a glass?

I called the WW 800 number to ask and the woman said to have, "8 8-ounce glasses of water". I then asked why it says to have six. She then said, "Well, have at least 6 8-ounce glasses of water, but try to get 8". I then wanted to know why they don't just say 6 "cups" of water instead of glasses. She was no help.

I am thinking that you are supposed to have 6 16-ounce glasses of water (12 cups). Is this corect? TIA.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Nope it is 6 8-ounce glasses and 3 of those can come from non water sources, ie., 48 ounces.

Yes you are right that it is a cup but you don't normally drink water from a cup you drink it from a glass hence the use of the term glass.

RDs and nutritionists recommend 6-8 8-ounce glasses a day.

Water! Why drink at least two quarts a day?

Because that’s roughly how much water we lose normally through perspiration, waste removal and other functions. Add sultry weather or enough exercise to break a sweat and the amount of water needed to stay healthily hydrated – not to mention avoid fatigue, light-headedness, nausea, and even heat stroke – quickly climbs.

WATER

Water is often called the forgotten nutrient since many people take it for granted, but water is essential to life. We can live with less than enough food for weeks, months, even years, but take away our water and we last just a few days.

Water makes up about 60 percent of the average adult’s weight. It is the medium the human body uses for nearly every activity it performs and has many functions, including:

· Carrying nutrients in the body
· Cleansing the body’s waste products
· Acting as a solvent, dissolving minerals, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and other substances
· Being involved in the chemical reactions in the body
· Lubricating joints
· Acting as a shock absorber for many organs
· Helping to regulate body temperature

Since water is so important, its balance is delicately monitored by a number of mechanisms. Our brain signals us to drink when the sodium concentrations in the blood become too high or when blood volume drops too low. Unfortunately, by the time this thirst mechanism kicks in, we are already in the beginning stages of water deficit. That’s why nutritionists recommend drinking before you are thirsty.

This is particularly important for the elderly population because as we age we become less sensitive to our thirst mechanism. At the same time, our percentage of body fluid drops, so it’s easier to become dehydrated faster.

Young children are also at a higher risk for dehydration, but for another reason: Their thirst mechanism is not yet fully developed, nor are they always able to recognize when they are thirsty.

Water needs vary with each individual, but in general, nutritionists still abide by the old rule of eight glasses - - 64 ounces - - or more of fluid a day. Water is your best bet, but it is certainly not the only way to get fluids. Fruit juice, seltzer, milk, lemonade, and soft drinks can also quench thirst. Alcohol and caffeinated beverages like tea and coffee do not count because they are actually diuretics, meaning they cause you to lose fluid rather than retain it. Food like soup, cucumbers, watermelon, lettuce, tomatoes, and oranges are high in water and good way to supplement your liquid intake.

]How much water do you need?

The old standard suggestion of 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of water a day is still good. But people who exercise may need more like 2 or 3 quarts, especially when it’s hot and humid outside (and during illness).

Get in the habit of carrying a water bottle. It’s easy to measure, handy to cart around especially during workouts, and saves waiting in line at the water fountain - - where it never seems polite to guzzle what you really need when others are waiting.

Drink cool water when you’re hot. Cool water empties out of the stomach and enters the system faster. Drink warmer water (room temperature or warm uncaffeinated tea or broth) when exercising outside in the cold.

Drink before you’re thirsty. People who drink to satisfy thirst replace only about half of what they need. An intelligent, buy the book, “hydration schedule” for a workout looks something like this:

· 17 ounces of water 2 hours before your workout
· 8ounces or more 15 minutes before your workout
· 4 to 8 ounces every 10 to 20 minutes during your workout
· another 8 ounces after your workout
Old 01-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #3  

The reason why I thought you should have 6-16 ounce glasses of water is because I have read that to lose weight you should have half your body weight in ounces of water a day (200lb. person should drink 100oz. of water). I thought the 8 8-ounce glasses of water that you always hear about is for the people who do not need to lose weight. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

That is a myth. While it is not bad to have that much there is no scientific proof for it.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #5  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

One of the reasons I like WW so much is because of the 6 glasses of water thing. I can't fathom the thought of drink 100oz of water a day, but I can handle 6-8 with no problem. I always take a bottle of water with me when I go out, so that's roughly 20 oz (or 2.5 glasses) right there.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I started at 394 lbs, can you imagine trying to drink 7 quarts of water every day? Yikes.

I do try to get in 3 qts, but usually get 2.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #7  
banned

1/2 gallon to a gallon is good for dieting
Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #8  
I just wanna be me :-)

S/C/G: 265/224.6/141

Question Water Worries

Okay good, i am glad someone is talking about this water thing, i am even asking my doctor about it today...........2 reasons........i just started back to ww and am trying to be OP everything!!! Well i am drinking lots of water, to the point where i am not sure it was good for me, so didnt drink as much yesterday......i am on prednisone for my asthma right now, and so am retaining alot of water..........this is how much water i had each day:
Wed.....11 cups
Thur....9 cups
Fri......13 cups
Sat....10 cups
Sun....14 cups
Mon...10 cups
Tues...7 cups
I also have usually about 2 and a half cups of coffee in the morning (great one DD) and occasionally another in the afternoon.

Any thoughts????
Old 02-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 343/333/170

Height: 5'5"

Ok.. i'm reading this and i see 6 8-oz glasses of water a day... which equates to 1.4L of water. Approx 2 and a half 600ml bottles of water (Aquafina / Dasani)

-- that does not seem like a lot of water. :|
Old 02-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

You are right is is not 'a lot' of water. It is just enough...based on research.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #11  

for me it is so hard to do the water thing I just don't like it , I am lucky if I can get 5 down, I did a few years ago but for some reason I have really hard time now ,
Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie o
for me it is so hard to do the water thing I just don't like it , I am lucky if I can get 5 down, I did a few years ago but for some reason I have really hard time now
Remember that 1/2 of your water requirement can come from non-water, decaff, non-alcohol sources such as milk, juice, Crystal Light, etc.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 239/222/?

I understand not likeing water!! I used to drink nothing but coke!! As of Jan 2 I started drinking nothing but water. I get water bottles put them in the freezer till they are just icy and drink them fast. I can't stand it if its the slightest warm!! It works with your weight loss. I can tell when I don't drink my water everything is off and feel horrible. I use the 20 ounces and I usually drink around 120oz. I start off as soon as I get out of bed and keep it going. I use two bottles for after 7pm thats when i cut the kitchen off limits.. It will get easier!!
Fay
Old 02-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by exercisebimbo
Okay good, i am glad someone is talking about this water thing, i am even asking my doctor about it today...........2 reasons........i just started back to ww and am trying to be OP everything!!! Well i am drinking lots of water, to the point where i am not sure it was good for me, so didnt drink as much yesterday......i am on prednisone for my asthma right now, and so am retaining alot of water..........this is how much water i had each day:
Wed.....11 cups
Thur....9 cups
Fri......13 cups
Sat....10 cups
Sun....14 cups
Mon...10 cups
Tues...7 cups
I also have usually about 2 and a half cups of coffee in the morning (great one DD) and occasionally another in the afternoon.

Any thoughts????

To tell you the truth I think that's why you were able to lose so much weight last week (I saw your other post, congrats on -5.2!!!)

At one point in my quest to lose weight, I had blown the whole program during the weekdays but the weekend I made a point to drink tons of water and both days I had about 96+ ounces. I saw a big loss the next day at weigh in. I think the water helped me lose even though I had eaten badly during the week.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #15  

I have read that drinking ICE water is better than tap water. Your body tries to heat up the ice water to your normal body temperature therefore burning more calories. HTH!
Closed Thread