Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'8

Default Anybody obsessed with the scale?

I have a serious problem that I need to overcome, I am obsessed with the scale and I am afraid it is going to ruin my motivation. I try so hard not to weigh myself until the meetings but the thought that I may have gained freaks me out and I can't not weigh myself everyday. This could potentially make me not go to a meeting because I gained...I want to nix it before it happens but need some suggestions from other obsessed chicks...or am I the only one?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #2  

Default it makes me behave

I might just be weird but weighing often makes me not want to cheat even if I see an upswing I know the weight will go up and down during the week. It's where I'm at at the end of the week that matters. No loss and I'm more inclined to stick with the treadmill and watch the pts. Everyone works this out differently. To me it's a motivator. If it brings you down then resist but if it keeps you on track then it's OK.

By the way, when I quite weighing all the time I gained back 10 lbs, but I'm back on it and staying strong.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #3  

Old 01-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #4  

HELLO I AM NEW HERE AND 2 YEARS AGO I WEIGHED 210LBS LOST 60 ON WEIGHT WATCHER AND THOUGHT I COULD DO IT BY MYSELF SO I QUIT GOING TO THE MEETING BUT RECENTLY I HAVE REJOINED TO HOPEFULLY MEET MY GOAL OF 140 I AM NOW 164.8 I WEIGH IN ON MONDAY EVENING AND WOUL LIKE OTHERS TO SUPPORT AND BE BE SUPPORTED BY OTHERS ANY HELPFUL ADVIVE WOULD BE GREAT

Old 01-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/214/140

Give the scale to a friend or family member to keep for you. Sometimes we focus too much on the wrong thing. Try to remember you are learning a new lifestyle of eating and exercising. The scale is only one measure. Your our attitude, the way our clothes fit and our control over what we eat is our biggest measure. Our thinking has to be changed and just like we avoided the scale before because we didn't want to see what we already knew, we can make it our main focus of how we are doing. The body is complex and the weekly weigh in will be a better measure. You can do this. You climb mountains one step at a time. Same with weight but remember you lose inches even when you haven't lost a pound. Fat is fluffier then muscle.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I weighed in 5x a day sometimes. I was totally obsessed. But now, now I weigh 1 or 2 x a day, if that. I can actually go some days without it.

My secret: put the scale in a cabinet or drawer with lots of stuff on it. I am too lazy to take it out now. So I will weigh in the AM only if I am not running late to work because I don't have the time to take it all out and put it back again!

Weighing 5x a day or so ruined me mentally. If I went up, I wouldn't eat and that's just no good.

Remember, health isn't just one number, ok? It's the size of clothes that fit you, it's how many stairs you can now climb...it's a lot of other things too!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #7  

I really appreciate everyones advice, maybe what I do isn't so bad. I only weigh myself one time in the AM and that is it. I find that if I am up or I stay the same I do work a little harder that day than before, maybe a longer workout or more water or 5 more crunches...Is that so bad. Everyone at the meetings and a work say it is so terrible to weigh in outside of the meetings, whats wrong with the early feedback? I understand that the way I feel and the way things fit is most important but I too am one that when i don't weigh myself I find that the scale creeps up faster that I realize, it keeps me focused? Should I still stop?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #8  

I know what most say, and I know what WW says but I think it is a very personal thing and everyone handles it a different way. I would say that for most people it's better to weigh in once a week but then there's me.....
Whatever works !
Old 01-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #9  

Actually, they have found that those who are maintaining that weight once a day are better able to keep the weight off. I weigh once a day, but I know my weight will fluctuate so I'm not concerned if it is up for a day or two. If you wouldn't go to a meeting because you have gained, you need to rethink things. That is when you need the support the most. Make a list of NSVs that you want to accomplish as well as looking at those numbers.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #10  

i also have a obsession with getting on the scales everyday~ I should know by now from being on WW since 01 that its not good thing to do~ I just still have the urge to get on it~ If I dont I feel I have gained. But I know our leader told us that its a bad habit. I am trying to get back to once a day and than wean myself off from the scale~ It only will dissapoint you and make ya do things you dont want to. If you stick to your drinking water, writing down and exercising you should do fine, dont cut yourself short of points either . Eat your amt that your given.

My other problem I have is I have lost 19.5 pounds, I work out faithfully every morning on the treadmill. I can tell I have lost in my shirt size and people notice in the face, I can fit into one size lower pants there little snug, but if I go to old size there too big~ You would think I would see a difference there too. It gets me down at times
Old 01-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #11  

Here's an article about research on weight loss, one topic involves weighing urself once a day and the effects of it. It is from a men's health mag but involves all genders and weight loss related to such people.
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...00cfe793cd____

Old 01-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #12  

wow really interesting article...and by the way I am really impressed by Quilter in VA Holy smokes have you done terrific! Kudos to you my friend! I am going to continue weighing daily and understand that when I do gain for more then a few days I need to adjust something and that is what you guys and meetings are for!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #13  

i am obsessed with the scale as well. i could weigh myself 4-5 times a day if i let myself.

right now i have the scale under the coffee table with a garbage can on top of it. it's worked so far, i haven't weighed myself since monday.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #14  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

It's hard but I try not to get on the scale every day and have limited myself to 2x a week. Monday and Friday are my days so I can see how I have done during the week and prepare myself for the weekend - it motivates me to eat well on the weekend which is one of my biggest challenges. Then on Monday I can see how well I did at maintaining or losing - I'm happy as long as I haven't gained
Old 01-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #15  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I promised myself only 2 times this week --I was dragging out the scale last week without putting anything away but now that we cleaned the apartment and soon-to-be MIL is coming this weekend, I figured I'd better try something else or the place will be gross by Sat!

I weighed on Sat for my official weigh in and now I won't weigh-in until Wed or Thursday (after 3 days at the gym I hope). Then Sat. again.

Talk about a challenge!
Closed Thread