Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #1  
Cowboy Up Chick

Default 'Super-Size Me' counterpoint

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

After 90 days of McD's, she shed 37 pounds

RALEIGH, N.C. - Inspired by "Super Size Me," Merab Morgan decided to give a fast-food-only diet a try. The construction worker and mother of two ate only at McDonald's for 90 days - and dropped 37 pounds in the process.

It was a vastly different outcome than what happened in the documentary to filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, who put on 30 pounds and saw his health deteriorate after 5,000 calories a day of McDonald's food.

Morgan, from Raleigh, thought the documentary had unfairly targeted McDonald's, implying that the obese were victims of a careless corporate giant. People are responsible for what they eat, she said, not restaurants. The problem with a McDonald's-only diet isn't what's on the menu, but the choices made from it, she said.

"I thought it's two birds with one stone - to lose weight and to prove a point for the little fat people," Morgan said. "Just because they accidentally put an apple pie in my bag instead of my apple dippers doesn't mean I'm going to say, 'Oh, I can eat the apple pie.' "

Spurlock, who turned his surprise-hit movie into a TV show on the FX network, isn't talking about Morgan or the many other McDieters who have criticized his film and found success losing weight by eating healthy foods off the McDonald's menu, said his publicist, David Magdael.

One person went so far as to make her own independent film about dieting at McDonald's. "Me and Mickey D" follows Soso Whaley, of Kensington, N.H., as she spends three 30-day periods on the diet. She dropped from 175 to 139 pounds, eating 2,000 calories-a-day at McDonald's.

Morgan used nutritional information downloaded from McDonald's Web site to create meal plans of no more than 1,400 calories a day. She ate french fries only twice, usually choosing burgers and salads. Those choices are a stark contrast with Spurlock's: He ate every menu item at least once.

After 90 days, she dropped from 227 to 190 pounds.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #2  

Hey Kelly! I remember you from the WW boards! I had to go into the WW boards and see. And sure enough it is!! How is WW going?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Going good after about 1 1/2 years of medical problems with related weight gain....
Old 08-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #4  
Workin' hard!

S/C/G: 228/228/165

I'm glad she found healthy choices, and was able to lose weight. It goes to show you, ANY diet can work, as long as you limit your calories (heck, If I eat 1200 calories of icecream a day, I'm sure I'll lose weight if I normally eat 2500 calories a day)

I still can't see how a total McDonalds (or any diet lacking whole foods) can be healthy longterm...
just my opinion!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:49 AM   #5  

Losing weight is important but as I have gone through this forum I keep hearing how supplements are terrible. How in the world is eating MickeyD food any better than popping a pill. In reality, in the real world, popping the pill might just be safer...i know it won't be safe and that's my point, neither would eating of the MD menu be. Come on. This is for the people who even think of saying anything positive about this. The only reality here is that calories count. WE already KNOW THAT! This stuff is not health long term. It's fast food for a freaking reason. It ain't water people, it's just more adveristing by some big chain. I am not gonna say thaT that guy from super size me didn't over eat or make some supporting claim. It was entertaining though. But let's not pretend that this other side is any more legit either. If u want to say it is based on weight loss than take the pill and u'll lose weight too. If u pretend it works or if it actually does is not the end of the road is it. Cause if it is then no more anti-supplement talk (specifically at weight loss pill). Sorry, this isn't an attack, but I hope it is a wake up call. Just in case u'r one of the ones that fell asleep in the dream instead of seeing things through our reality.

By the way I don't care if she ate apples from that place. Those places are about long storage items and quick cooking choices. Sugar anyone. How about some bad fat. Might as well go to subway at least they got some real food. If not then I get to go to pizza hut and eat some crazy high fat gonna kill me if i eat it every day food. YEAh baby yeah!

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 08-16-2005 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Some rude and unecessary comments
Old 08-14-2005, 10:21 AM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

1) Subway is one of the highest in SODIUM most of the subs because of the lunch meat have more sodium than a frozen W/W meal.

I am not saying her test was any more healthy than his was however it shows it can be done ... especially for vacations and such.

The KEY IS MODERATION. And an occasional meal or two from there will not kill your diet nor your healt.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:02 PM   #7  
kellyjoiii

S/C/G: 225/225/165

Height: 5'7"

I agree completely and I am totally disgusted when people talk about fast food and that "super size me" guy. OF COURSE YOU will gain 30 lbs eating food like that 3 times a day! Common sense, and choices choices choices. I try to eat healthy when I go..... but then again, I slip up sometimes too. I am glad to see someone finally made the point that it is possible to eat better when you go there......Good going Kel! Thanks for the article....helps me to make better choices when I take my sons there!!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #8  
Workin' hard!

I'm not sure who tobetheman was replying to, and I have a hard time reading in 'code'.

I did want to point out that I wasn't saying McDonalds will kill anyone's diet. I was just saying limiting calories faithfully, no matter WHAT diet, will cause you to lose weight. That doesn't make it healthy. There ARE healthy choices at most fast food places. I don't think *I* personally would have to struggle with my weight if I had more BALANCE in my choices. So, anyway...just wanted to clarify.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #9  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I think the point of Kelly's post was to show another side of the story other than Morgan Spurlock's. Anybody could gain weight if they ate 5000 cals per day no matter what restaurant the food was from.

It is really about making choices that are better for you and being responsible for your own actions.

There is a mall 1/2 block from where I work with a food court full of choices but I bring my healthy lunch to work everyday instead.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:32 AM   #10  
Workin' hard!

Which is an excellent choice, mauvaisroux!!!! If I had made more of those choices, I wouldn't have such a weight problem!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #11  
Cowboy Up Chick

mauvaisroux, Yes me and the person/people who did the opposite of what Spurlock did are trying to make that point exactly. And you know what just losing weight even eating fast food can make a personal HEALTHIER (not saying healthy).
Old 08-16-2005, 11:19 PM   #12  

Hmmm, eat under 2000 calories a day, and less than half of what Spurlock did? It seems to be a no brainer in terms of being able to eat and lose weight, even McD's. Personally, I'd probably do well there, since I can't stand the food so I'd probably lose weight just walking into the place and out again.
Closed Thread