Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #1  

Height: 6'0"

Default Thin4Life-Week of May 1/05

Good morning lifers!!

I was in Phoenix all last week. The conference was really great, but Phoenix was so-so. The weather was pretty (almost the same as Florida, but it's a dry heat) Phoenix rolls up the streets at night; there really wasn't much to do after the conference let out each day. Needless to say, I made a pig of myself! I'm so disgusted. Then I came home and had some parties to attend (ate more). I am buckling down especially since WI is next week.

lala, so how did you develop tendonitis? I hear you on the black shoes; that is the predominant color in my shoe wardrobe. I need some different ones.

Melissa, if the students will be gone, why is that your busiest time of year? I'm glad you didn't get that snow they had in Michigan. That looked awful. I like Smokey Bones, too.

Susan, lala gave some good advice. I'm like you; I don't want to buy new clothes. In fact, I went through my closet again and got rid of some clothes that were really too big for me that I managed to hang onto (why??)

Pam, I like Smokey Bones, too. How was Boston?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! It's chilly here this morning--even saw a little snow on the drive to work! Thank goodness it doesn't stick!

My weekend was productive for the most part--eating was so-so and I did get some exercise although not as much as I should have.

Lisa: My office deals with the incoming freshmen so we'll be busy with summer orientation programs where we'll have 4 weeks where the students will actually be on campus. We're in the midst of prep work now and each week it will get busier. Our first wave of students come in on June 19th. I tend to eat way too much when there's nothing to do or I'm bored which is not a good thing for me at all! You can get back on track

Susan: Hope things are going well with you!!

Pam: Hope your weather is warming up--the upside to our weather today is that the rest of the week is supposed to be better with temps more in our normal range for this time of year.

Lala: My lilac bushes are loaded with buds this year--I can't wait till they start blooming. My tulips are blooming and the daffodils are hanging in there. I love this time of year! I was going through my shoes over the weekend and have more black shoes than any other.

5 1/2 work days left until my trip...started pulling out the warm weather wear to get things organized. I'll try and pull most of it together over the weekend since I know I won't be wearing it here.

Happy May!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #3  
si, si signora

Hi all,

Welcome back Lisa, we missed you. I have to agree about PHX it looked boring. Tuscon was sort of the same but that was because we were in a big group in a boring hotel. My guess is both those places and Tempe are pretty great if you find the right place to hang.

I'm sorry you ate poorly, my hope is that you at least had a few good Mexican/Arizonan meals. I didn't find their food to be as good as New Mexico, but pretty tasty nonetheless.

Melissa--Everything smells so good. The irises are starting up too. I love this time of year with everything blooming and its still easy slugging. DP finished planting the annuals around the trees in our parking strip. I now have to remember to water. I am excited for your trip. I love hanging with friends.

Susan -- I hope you found something to wear.

Hi Pam.

Nothing exciting here this weekend. Tried to reign in the eating and did okay, this week I'm going to work on writing down what I eat. Novel concept. I am working out and that is good.

I'm also happy to report that Mr. Jacques went to the ppatch yesterday and walked the furthest he's walked in nearly a month. He walked to our year round ppatch, around a bit, ate some grass, supervised raspberry thinning and sat and watched us weed. He's not even sore this am.

I am so happy.

Okay, to work, really.

lala
Old 05-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #4  

Good morning. I wrote a great post and then the site went down! Argh!

lala, I'm glad to hear that Jacques is feeling and moving better. I thought the food in PHX was good; I tried sopapillas for the first time; very tasty.

Melissa, soon you'll be in sunny Florida. Our weather has been very nice recently. You should have a great time.

Sunday night I went to a cast party for the play that just closed. It was fun. We watched a DVD of the show which was strange; it's always weird to see yourself on stage. Last night I went to a rehearsal for a show this weekend. I'm in a group, the Bel Canto Ensemble. We are doing a show called "Romance" and it includes music from the classical genre, as well as Broadway. Unfortunately, the publicity just hasn't been done well, so I don't know if anyone will be there.

On Saturday, DH and I are going to a Kentucky Derby party fundraiser. It's for a Childrens Advocacy group. We're all supposed to dress up as if we were going to the Derby and then there will be betting windows. You bet on a horse and then they show the race and you win prizes. They also have a silent auction. We went last year and it was a lot of fun. That was the first time I had a mint julep (you can keep it).

Hi, Pam and Susan.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Lisa --

Ack on the mint juleps. Yech, is what I thought too. Give me a gin and t anyday. What a horrible thing to do to mint. Can you tell I'm not a bourbon fan? I would wear a big hat and a suit and some major jewellry,sort of like Ascot, but different.

Sorry about the publicity, don't fret, people will be there.

Its grey here. Should get sunny and 65, so I'm happy. I am hoping this guy I hired to mow our lawn will show up today, it looks awful and our lawnmower is not feeling well. If not, I'll have to borrow the neighbors and hope for the best.

Doing okay on the eating front, cutting back portions and finding things to do instead of eating, which is the best thing in the world. Last night I vacuumed my car of 2 basset puppies, cleaned the interior and did some garden stuff. I also got in a tiff with american airlines over their so called low price guarantee. I could get the same fare on travelocity for 250 that they were charging 500 for, considering I fly 100,000 miles with them a year, you would think they would price match? No dice. I gave up and went to bed without looking for a snack.

Tomorrow I weigh in, wish me luck.

Hi to everyone else! I hope everything is better than okay in your necks of the woods.

lala
Old 05-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #6  

Hi Ladies,

Things are so-so here. I think the weather is getting me down. It's been raining off and on for the past week. A short work day for me..I'm leaving at 3:00 for a doctor's appt with Lauren. After we are done, she want's to hit the mall in search of more capris and sandals. Ah...spring is in the air.

I'm thinking about trading in my car but don't know what I want. I've had VW's for the past 9 years. The one I have now is a 2000 Passat that is really in good shape and runs well but.....I want something different. I think this all started when a friend of mine recently purchased the 50th anniversary model convertible Thunderbird in a lovely shade of candy apple red! I went for a drive with her in the new car and have been thinking of upgrading ever since. DH is not in agreement so this could be interesting!

Melissa have a great time in Florida. I can't believe you had snow flurries the other day. Yuck!!! The weather here hasn't been terrific but at least none of that...hope I don't see any flakes until at least December!

Lisa I've never been to Arizona althought it's one of those places I thought I would like to visit...now you've got me rethinking! The Kentucky Derby fundraiser sounds like a lot of fun. I don't care for mint juleps either!

Lala good luck with your weigh in tomorrow. Glad Mr Jacques is doing better.

Hi to Susan hope all is well.

Well time to finish up a proposal I've been playing around with for the past few days. Hope you all are having a good day and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #7  

lala, glad to hear that I'm not alone in the mint julep boat! So much for the low price guarantee--then what does that guarantee mean?? Good luck on WI. You have the right idea by keeping busy. I know that when I have a lot to do, I don't eat nearly as much.

I've been eating better. I had a good day yesterday. I even went to a friend's house and turned down marble pound cake. Today we had a staff meeting where they served ziti, chicken parmesan, salad and garlic bread. I had salad and garlic bread. They also had a huge black forest cake. I didn't even have a small piece. As I've said before, I wish we would lose weight by the points of things we turn down.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:28 AM   #8  

Hello. I had another good day yesterday. I ate the right things, drank all my water and exercised. It's another day (one day at a time). Over the weekend I bought some running shoes (DH is so excited). I'm just running a little. I walk a block and run a block (very slowly). DH is already thinking marathons! What a nut.

My group's photo was in the paper today, so that should help some with publicity for our upcoming show.

What's happening with everyone else?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #9  

Good morning!

Things have been busy around here--the semester is wrapping up and I've been busy administering final exams for the students who need extra time. Our office also works with students with disabilities so it's been busy. I think most of the students are done with their finals today so the campus will slowly empty out. I've finally gotten through the monster folder on my desk that I kept ignoring and it feels good to have that "monkey off my back". Now to get the minutes done from my last meeting and I'll be doing really well!

The weather here continues to be depressing--yesterday we had rain and some areas even got an accumulation of snow, yes, snow. Thank goodness we didn't see any here at the lakefront. It's supposed to get sunny later on today and the rest of the week/weekend are supposed to be nice and the temps are supposed to start climbing. I sure hope so! The gray weather does nothing for my disposition/energy level.

On a good note, I did go and exercise on Monday and I'm hoping to go again tonight for my toning exercises. I upped the weight by 2 1/2 pounds so we'll see how that works. I can tell my arms are slowly getting toned so that's a good thing.

Lisa: My last pair of sneakers were running shoes--they feel really comfortable and I've actually entertained the notion to try running a few laps instead of walking at the wellness center. We'll see.

Lala: Good luck with your WI...I have mine at noon and I'm hoping for a bit of a loss before I go on my trip. Good for you in cutting back on the portions and finding something else to do instead of snack. I had a little relapse last evening and ate a pop tart. Sad part is it didn't even taste that great! Were you able to get your lawn cut? DS #2 has been working on ours--the grass had gotten a little tall so he has to rake and he's been doing a little each day.

Pam: I totally understand about the weather--it's been the same here and it's been cool. Today it's only 41. I'm ready for some Spring-like temps!!! How's the car upgrade coming? I'm really looking forward to my trip.

Susan: Hi! Hope things are going well with you.

I'll catch up more later. Happy Hump Day!!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Drizzly here today and to think I thought I could hang laundry today. Well, there is always tomorrow.

Our lawn looks lovely, he edged the driveway and weed whacked and everything looks so crisp. I think I may end up using him on a bimonthly basis, its like 15 bucks a week and that is way less than my time is worth a hour, so it would free up more time for snail killing and cutworm crushing.

Melissa-- My clothes feel great and I'm hoping for a loss, but you know how you typically gain three or four lbs as you walk up to the WW center? I'll take anything, but I'm just pleased that there is some sort of self monitoring going on.

Lisa -- the running is great, I think starting out with a 5K would be a good beginning.

Pam -- I would stick with something that is both safe and fuel efficient. I have yet to find that, but maybe the T-bird is it? Have you looked at the audis? They are nice, some are AWD, small, but sleek. Unfortunately, a bit spendy.

We were lusting over the mini this weekend. DP is a drive your car into the ground kind of person, but it was nice to fantasize. Our cars are both old, but well maintained.

I hope the weather improves for you all.

Okay, back to boss emailing.

lala
Old 05-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #11  

Melissa, so sorry about the snow. Come on, it's May!!! I'm glad the students are leaving and then you can really enjoy your vacation. Isn't that how it is, you eat something and then it doesn't even taste good (we still eat it though, hmmm).

lala, $15/week for lawn care--that's so cheap. Of course, not as cheap as DH doing it. ; ) I had to laugh about your comment that we gain as we walk up to the WW center. I really think it's true. I'm glad to hear that your clothes are fitting better. We're the same as you; our cars are a little dated, but we take care of them.

Pam, for some reason, I didn't see your post yesterday. There have been weird happenings on 3FC (at least for me, lately). A new car, huh? I am so anti-car payments that I just don't even want to think about it. As soon as the car is driven off the lot, it drops in value. I even told DH the next vehicle will be used.

Hi, Susan. How are you doing?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #12  
si, si signora

I'm with Lisa, look for a pre-owned by dealer certified car. I know volvo does this and the c70 coupes are pretty cute.

lala
Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #13  
si, si signora

lost 2 lbs this week. I'm totally stoked.

now, if I could only get some work done, I would be ecstatic.

lala
Old 05-05-2005, 07:47 AM   #14  

Hooray for lala!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #15  

Woohoo Lala!! Way to go!!

I wish I could say the same for my WI--I was up 1.6 this week and was not all that thrilled about it. I'm going back to Flex because I really think I need the structure. It's too easy to not record non-Core foods for me so I figure I'd better get back to Flex and the structure of my journal.

I will share with you that I had a NSV last night--I didn't have dinner planned (bad thing) and so I picked up Little Ceasar's pizza for the family and I didn't even eat one piece!!! I had some leftover whole wheat pasta with sauce instead and then later on I went to the Wellness Center did my toning exercises, walked and used the elliptical for 10 minutes I am happy to report that I stayed within my points and feel really good about myself this morning. I'm going to focus on one day at a time.

Does anyone here use an elliptical? I figure if I start out with 10 minutes and work my way up I'll be good. I did work up a sweat using it last evening.

Lala: My Corolla is a certified used vehicle--I love the gas mileage I've been getting with it.

Lisa: The sun is shining this morning and we're supposed to get up to the high 50's; tomorrow is supposed to be even better.

Pam: Hope your weather is better. I find that when it's gloomy outside I have the urge/tendency to want to eat comfort foods and not do anything and it's hard to get motivated to exercise, etc.

Susan: Hi!
Closed Thread