Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Problem with the Meeting Leader

I've been going to a WW for a while now, I like the people that attend, the ladies that weigh us in and its the only time that fits in to my schedule but....the leader is the worst. I love coming on here because it seems like people can find value in what ever is working for each person. No set of rules will work for each person.
The leader of my meeting does not feel that way. It seems like its her way or the high way. leader of the meeting will pose a question and if she doesn't hear what she wants, you can see her disapoint ment and she will try and convince people they need to do it exactly the way she wants. Once she asked how we planned to not eat a lot a party. I said that I work out that day before the party because it motivates me to not binge. Healthy enough, I don't even count excersise point or anything. She must have been hearing something else because she told me that was not a good idea to do that, I should just try and eat small meals. I wasn't saying anything about eating, I was saying when I work out, I dont' want to mess up so I tend to not eat a lot. Its like she always assumes the worst from us. One woman in the meeting who works nights said she has to take all three meals with her and the leaders was just proding her to find something she was doing wrong and in the end there was nothing she was still with in her points and she was losing.
Do you think there is any way I could approach her and try and suggest a change? I kind of feel there isn't but I just leave most meeting feeling like she is a nut. I like the meetings when the people attending kind of take over and we all just help each other. Do we really need a leader?
ahhhh.....
Old 04-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #2  

Have you talked to other people in the meeting to see what they think? If the majority feels the way you do, then something should be done. Meetings are to important to have to put up with that, and the leaders play such a big role. I don't know what further steps you could take, as far as calling someone....or going on to the WW website. But you may want to check the website and see if they have a email address where you could let them know your concerns. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Yes, there is power in numbers. You will probably get more results if several people in the meeting complain all at once. Maybe you could talk to the members before or after the meeting (outside of course) and just open the conversation with..."Is it just me or is something not quite right here? .....

A leader can make or break a meeting. WW would not want to lose members over a situation like this.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #4  

I had a similar problem with a leader. She spent the whole time talking about her husband, and what she had been tempted to eat, and how good it sounded, blah, blah. It was like she was having her own therapy session in front of 50 other people. She had been there for so many years that she kind of had a icon status. I finally just made arrangements to go to a different meeting with a different leader. I don't know if that is possible for you, but it worked for me. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #5  

I'm hoping I can explain this right. Ok, leaders for the most part, have a certain "protocol" to follow in their meetings. And when they ask questions, there are usually certain answers that they are looking to hear. A "right" way, if you will. Certain ways of doing things that will give you a much greater chance for long term success. No, they don't all work for everyone. But many of the tips and "lessons" they try to teach are in general, a good way of doing things.

Like with the party example you gave. For you, exercising that day is a big help. But for most, it probably isn't a deterrent to over eating at a party. The "by the book" answer that she needed to get across to other members was probably to plan ahead, eat small meals, find out what they're serving, etc. Not that your answer was "wrong", but it's up to the leader to get out the solution that will work best for most, though not all. It sounds as though she may not be doing it as smoothly as she could be.

The same for the other member who takes all of her meals with her to work on the night shift. While, yes staying within points and losing is a good thing, the leader may have had a concern that it may not be a long term solution or what have you and may not want to give "approval" of it because she knows it's not something that would work for a large majority.

To give an example, my son is struggling right now with algebra. Not because he doesn't know the answers, he does. Too well. He can do it all in his head. But the assingments call for showing all of your work. My son can't understand why if he knows the answers, how he can be getting it wrong. What we've tried to explain is that while this works for him now, later on when he gets into high school, the more advanced math won't be so easy for him to do in his head and he HAS to learn the proper way to do it.

I think it's much the same with WW. While losing is the ultimate goal, learning the "proper" way of doing things will only help down the road.

I can understand your frustration. If it's something that really affects you negatively, you can find another leader or maybe if it's brought to her attention, she will find better ways of presenting it.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #6  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Red face

Yes....I think the previous post explains it well. The leaders (as I understand) are given a type of a script or written format to follow. With the "correct" answers they appeal to more of the audience and they look for that answer to build on for the discussion. She should have been positive as to how you handle that situation (way to go!! btw) but came across more negatively than needed. Most people have a hard time to fit excersise in, so the more popular answer would be to eat before you go, small portions on a small plate, stand on other side of the room and make a point to be more social with friends and less focus on eating. Short of changing to another location, looks like you are stuck with that leader.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #7  

thanks, I see what you guys mean about she has to follow the ww script. I just think she is really bad at it. Some people don't have the personality to be good at these things. She knows the rules but is missing the people skills. I just don't get why she was chosen to be a leader the ladies that weigh us in once in a while come in to be inspirational and they are waaaaayyy better at it than she is. I might start trying out other meetings once my schefule opens up a bit.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #8  

I'm so sorry to hear you're stuck with a leader that is so inflexible. I like the idea of chatting with other members, advising them to call the (800) number, or write in (you should have all the contact information for them to make it easier), to encourage WW to monitor that leader's meetings. The leader is terribly important to the meeting. But I know what you mean about your schedule. I wish I could go to meetings with my favorite leader, but her meeting times just don't work for me...

Do something about this, even if it's just you, do something.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #9  

It is not fair to the leader to call WW without going to her first. If you haven't talked to other people at the meeting, how do you know if it is bothering anyone else. As for the weighers being better, they obviously didn't want to be leaders and she did. That's how you get the job you apply for. How long has she been doing this? Maybe she is new and still learning.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

First what I would do is talk one-on-one with your leader before you call W/W. Maybe it was a misunderstanding or miscommunication on both parts.

From what you said I could see where she thought differently than you said.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #11  

Some of you folks are just plain nicer than I.

I go to meetings because I NEED to go. I have to get some morsel of encouragement/inspiration from the leader (and the other members), a shot in the arm. Jennie's just getting a bruised arm. What good is that?

If the explanation is that the leader is new, and making mistakes in her approach, well then that's not Jennie's problem, that's WW's problem. Jennie needs to make sure WW knows they have a problem. Any leader who thinks there are limited "right" answers is worse than unhelpful, she's counterproductive. And that's bad for everyone in the meeting, even the ones who aren't concerned enough to complain.

Call Weight Watchers. I had an administrative problem once, and they were very good to talk to on the phone.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #12  

Newsmom, I llike your bruised arms analogy.
Its true a leader can make or break this loooong weightloss journey. I've tried just weighing in and its not the same.
Anyway, today at the meeting, the leader started to tear up and told us that she was moving and wouldn't be working with us any more. She said she has had a rough couple of months but made the decision to move and has already done it. Maybe that is why she was so snippy lately. Who knows. I hope we get a good leader now.
Closed Thread