Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 08:40 AM   #1  
Domestic Goddess

Thumbs down

Hi. I'm Kerrie (obviously). I'm a SAHM to 4 kids, a 9-yr. old boy, and three girls ages 6, 4, and 6 1/2 months. I've been a member of 3FC for a couple of years now, off and on. I lost 56 pounds on WW from March '98 to October '99, then gained 25 back, then got pregnant and gained 60!! I now find myself 6 months post-partum with 90-110 lbs. to lose (I won't decide where to end up until I'm there!). I'm discouraged and having trouble getting started but thought maybe I could "hang" with some women who are either facing the same hurdles or have started to conquer them!!

Now the question--we're heading to Orlando on vacation in another week and a half and part of our vacation will be a day at Disney World. Has anybody been there at a large size? I'm scared to death that I'll try to get on a ride and find I'm too large and be humiliated! I'm hoping someone can either set my mind at ease, or at least give me a heads up on where I might find problems. I will probably not be going on a great many rides simply because I'll be the one holding the baby, but there are some that I'd really like to go on and don't want to try unless I know I'll fit, KWIM? Anyone? Thanks!

My plan is to get down and dirty with the weight loss efforts as soon as we get back. Part of me feels guilty, as though I should really start immediately and stick with things on vacation, but you know what? I've been procrastinating for 5 months already and another 2 1/2 weeks won't kill me. Not to mention which I know I won't enjoy my vacation if I'm stressing over the whole eating thing!
Old 05-23-2001, 02:30 PM   #2  

Kerrie: I went several years ago (when I was thin). I can't help you with specific rides and how the seats are constructed as far as size goes, but they DO have many rides that are accommodating. Do take comfortable shoes and big bucks, because they don't let you bring in food or drinks. (They don't want you to save money, just spend it there.) If I remember correctly, at that time, pop was $2 or $3. They do have some restaurants that serve fresh fruit salads. I ordered one when I was there (I was watching my weight even back then). When the waitress brought it, everyone from other tables was looking at as if I ordered something really special and exotic. That alone made ME feel special and that I did something good for myself and like I wasn't on a "diet".

Just have a good time with the family.

I can relate to having not lost "baby fat". Once before when I was overweight (I keep losing and gaining), I was with some ladies that were discussing "baby fat". I said that I had the same problem - trying to lose it. One lady said, "Oh, and how old is your baby?" I answered, "Nine years". For some reason they changed the subject quickly.

2oM (Annie)
Old 05-23-2001, 03:03 PM   #3  
Makin_it

Kerrie

I'm jealous, I wish I were going with you. My hubby and I took the kids about 4 years ago and I'm not sure but I would guess I was over 300 lbs at the time.

I was able to go on many rides, in fact I don't think there were any that I was very uncomfortable in. Watch the people's sizes that are boarding while you wait in line and I bet you will be surprised. Disney seems to really think about all sizes of people.

I'm not a carnival ride person, but I don't think I stopped smiling all week. Today if I went I would carry one of those foldable chairs that fit in a duffle bag, waiting for the parades were a killer on the feet and back and there just are not enough chairs at the edge of the road. Don't forget to were good walking shoes too.

Have fun and welcome to the room. You can get ride of the extra weight when you are ready. I know you can do it..... anyone can if I have been able to. I just reached my 100 lb more. I have alot more to go but I will be there eventually.

Have a great day and a good time at Disney.

Brenda
430/330/170 in 2002
Old 05-23-2001, 06:31 PM   #4  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi Kerri.... What a fun vacation you are in for!
I just went XMAS 1999 at 258 lbs. And I too had the same concerns as you - I almost cancelled. Thank goodness I didn't. My 3 year old had a ball!!!

I went on the Tea Cups (a little cramped but not bad - and 90% of my weight is in my tummy and behind area), It's a small world ride was fine too, & I sat on the park bench of the Merry Go Round ride which was great fun. Like Brenda said - watch others in line. That's what I did and it worked well. The only ride I knew I wouldn't ride (forget what park though) was that Test Track car ride because of the seat belt. And I never go on those Bucaneer type ship rides where one bar pulls down over everyone -and the ship swings back and forth in the air.... I was kicked off that at a carnival a few years back and I was mortified!!!!

Have a great time....
Kim
239/227/140
Closed Thread