3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Breakfast cookie recipe to share~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/445-breakfast-cookie-recipe-share%7E.html)

christineu 11-14-2000 07:28 AM

New format....not a new recipe~~~~

Okay- it is Spring Break time for me again and I re-did the recipe some to make it easier to read- there are no changes in ingredients or amounts from before, just a new and improved format format.

I have also calculated the nutritional info and points (both WP and 123) I figure with all the changes with the real BBC’s we may have more people looking for the recipe now. I included both the protein and carbohydrate stats, which are in line with the revamped BBC ones. I did not do any of the other vitamins as that would take to much time for me to do but I can say that they all have at least 2.5% of calcium (based on 2000 calories per day)- it comes from the yogurt. With the new fiber cap of 4 grams, they still come out to 3-4 points per cookie which is great for breakfast or a snack.

I have also included some new variations that I have tried myself. Each recipe makes four 3-4 ounce cookies- it can be doubled or even tripled- I like to start with batches of 4 so that I don’t make too many before I decide I like them and so I can have variety every week by making several variations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Enjoy~ Christine

Here is the basic recipe (pick a variation from below- you cannot make just the basic recipe, unless you want a very plain breakfast cookie):

~1 1/2 cups wheat BRAN (NOT wheat germ, wheat bran has 32 calories and 7 grams of fiber per 1/4 cup)- Reserve 1 teaspoon for topping

~1/2 cup whole wheat flour

~1/4 cup packed brown sugar-Reserve 1 teaspoon for topping (FYI- some people have used Splenda with success, others have had problems using it. I find that when using Splenda in baking I need to have some fat added or more moisture. I feel these cookies are low enough in points that I have not tried using Splenda in this recipe)

~1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

~1/2 cup unsweetened, fat free yogurt (non-nutrisweet or other artificial sweetener as they do not bake well)

~1 teaspoon baking powder

~pinch of salt

~1 teaspoon vanilla

~1/2 teaspoon imitation butter flavor (this is optional- can be found in some grocery stores near vanilla or sometimes in combination with vanilla- this helps give some of the "plainer" cookies with more depth- great for use in fat free/low fat baking)

********Pick one of the following variations listed below (you cannot make the basic recipe unless you want a very plain cookie). Follow the instructions, as some variations require that you omit ingredients from the basic recipe though the majority do not. ********

Mix together dry ingredients, then add in moist ingredients to make dough, stirring in fruit or chips, ect at end. Divide into 4 balls, flatten to 1/2- 3/4 inch thick on a lightly greased baking sheet or place into mini-tart pans sprayed with no-stick spray (I place the mini tart pans on a cookie sheet to make putting them in/out oven easy). Top with reserved brown sugar and bran (and nuts, if using a variation that uses walnuts). Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake as the cookie will be dry- they should be somewhat spongy when you push on the top of the cookie (more like a muffin).

***VARIATIONS***
I listed the stats for each of the flavors of breakfast cookies with the ingredients needed for the variations given- add what I listed in ( ), omitting ingredients as noted from the basic recipe above. Winning Points followed by (WW 123)- both calculated on the Blue WW calculator from 2000, holding fiber at 4 for WP.

~Blueberry (stir in 1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries)- WP: 3 (1), Cal 210, Protein 7, Fat 1, Fiber 13, carbs 50

~Strawberry (stir in 1 cup frozen strawberries, unsweetened, and chopped to small pieces)- WP: 3 (1), cal 200, Pro 7, Fat 1, Fiber 13, carbs 48

~Raspberry (stir in 1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries)- WP: 3 (1), cal 200, Pro 7, Fat 1, Fiber 15, carbs 48

~Mixed berry (stir in 1 cup of assorted frozen berries)- nutritional info will vary slightly with berries used: WP 3 (1), Cal 205, Protein 7, Fat 1, Fiber 14, carbs 48

~Cherry (1/2 cup cherries unsweetened, chopped into pieces added to basic mix)- WP: 3 (1), cal 200, Pro 7, Fat 1, Fiber 15, carbs 47

~Carrot raison (Stir in 1 medium carrot, finely grated and 1/8 cup raison/currants in place of frozen fruit. Add cinnamon, clove, allspice to taste (I cheat and use pumpkin pie spice))- WP: 3 (1), cal 210, Pro 7, Fat 1, Fiber 14, carbs 50

~Tropical (stir in 1/3 cup crushed & drained pineapple, and 1/8 coconut (I get mine in the freezer section, lower cal/less sugar; omit fruit)- WP: 3 (2), Cal 206, Protein 7, Fat 2, Fiber 13, carbs 44

~Banana Nut (Decrease apple sauce to 1/4 cup, add 1 medium sized mashed ripe banana. Sprinkle 1/8 cup finely chopped walnuts on top.)- WP: 4 (2), cal 231, Protein 8, fat 4, fiber 13, carbs 50

~Maple walnut (omit the applesauce, & brown sugar. Add 1/3 cup real maple syrup and 1/8 cup finely chopped walnuts sprinkled on top)- WP: 4 (2), cal 213, Protein 8, fat 4, fiber 12, carbs 46

~Ginger Molasses (omit applesauce, add 1/3 cup molasses, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon clove)- WP: 4 (3), cal 249, protein 8, fat 1, fiber 12, carbs 59

~ Pumpkin Spice (add 1/2 cup canned, cooked pumpkin in place of apple sauce, add 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (to taste)- WP: 3 (1), cal 195, protein 8, fat 1, fiber 14, carbs 44

~ Chocolate Chip (Use 1/2 cup prune puree in place of applesauce, stir in 2 Tablespoons of mini-chocolate chips) WP: 4 (2), cal 228, protein 8, fat 3, fiber 13, carbs 51

~ Pumpkin chocolate chip (add 1/2 cup canned, cooked pumpkin in place of apple sauce, stir in 2 Tablespoons of mini-chocolate chips) WP: 4 (2), cal 219, protein 8, fat 3, fiber 14, carbs 48

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New ones I want to try....lemon-poppy seed, cranberry orange walnut....any other ideas? maybe pineapple carrot?

franma 11-14-2000 09:41 AM

These sound really good and seeing as my order of 4 dozen baker cookies has still not arrived i will make these tomorrow. How many points are they i don't believe you posted that, thanks for the recipe.

christineu 11-14-2000 10:01 AM

Frama-

The points vary slightly, depending on the flavor. They range from 1.5-2.0 points per cookie- but of course they are a high fiber food so some people are more comfortable counting them as 3 points. I will probably use the lower point range since I am relying on them for the high fiber to help with the side effects of my medications.

I will be interested to see how they compare to the "real" cookies when you get yours.

Take care~
Christine

lighter 11-14-2000 11:22 PM

Could I find your Klone of the No Pudge Brownies in the Archives? Can you bring it up or reprint it? Thank you.

------------------

Ann P

christineu 11-14-2000 11:44 PM

Ann-

I pulled the muffin/brownie mix back up to the top- it is under WW Dessert.

Here is a link to it~ http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum24/HTML/000210.html

It is a good recipe to prepare to give as holiday gifts (I give the instructions for making the mixes up- all you have to add it fat free yogurt/water).

Christine

lighter 11-15-2000 12:26 AM

Thank you Christine, I found it when I worked my way to the dessert thread. Yesterday in a Low Fat Cooking Class we made the Impossible Pumpkin Pie with Splenda and it was excellent. I put the recipe in with Kelly's variations. I think the Splenda would work well in the brownies. I have used it in muffins and it they were just fine. Volumne was the same. I admire those of you that can have the talent to klone recipes. I can make some changes but have not tried over hauling a complete recipe. Thank again.

------------------

Ann P

poetmom 11-15-2000 03:05 AM

Christine - Bless you, bless you, bless you. I have half a case of BBC in my freezer and they're wonderful, but the recipe will save me, probably, thousands of dollars in the course of a lifetime. You have given me the best holiday present ever...and it's weeks before the Yuletide! Can't wait to try all the variations. MANY THANKS, Susan

------------------
Susan Thurston Hamerski
WW Lifetime member

christineu 11-15-2000 05:34 AM

Susan-

I will be interested to see how you think they compare to the real ones. I have never had the real ones- never wanted to order that many and wasn't sure I would like them that much. I get my wheat bran at the bulk food store- it is something like 80 cents a pound- it takes a lot to get a pound of it.

Ann-

I don't know how I manage to klone the recipes so well. I made my first attempt at the Breakfast cookies on Saturday- I thought they were to sweet and I decided to change to whole wheat flour instead of white flour when I made them on Sunday so it really only took 2 tries. I don't know if it was luck or what.

I am still trying to come up with other variation- I may try something with maple syrup and walnuts this weekend. I may also play around with using soy flour to up the protein in them.

Christine

Cheesehead 11-15-2000 08:21 AM

You are an angel for posting the Breakfast cookie recipe. I was on break at work when I read your post, just had to print it, and stood guard over the printer until it was in my itching hands! Can't wait to bake them this weekend. Now I'm looking for your brownie recipe. Please keep up the good work and keep those recipes coming. Will let you know how my cookies come out! Cheesehead.

HeatherA 11-16-2000 01:32 AM

Thank you! I'm heading to the store this afternoon to buy the ingredients!

------------------
279.4 * 238.8 * 143 (-40.6)
1st 10% goal - 28 lbs - MET 2/23/00
2nd 10% goal - 26 lbs - 13.4 to go!
New Lifestyle Started: 9/22/99

Christmas Goal = Lose 19 lbs
Current Standing = - 8.8 / 19
Started 8/7/00

http://pub21.************/bweightwatchingthe123way

Bee125 11-16-2000 02:01 AM

Thanks for this. Ill be into trying them Have read so much about these "breakfast cookies" and you dont get them in New Zealand.Maybe they are like our "muslei bars" do you have them??
We call things different names .Like a cookie is a biscuit here. I think what you call a biscuit is a scone here.
If anyone has a ANGEL FOOD CAKE recipe Id love it.I know its low in fat but when ever I look at a recipe on the net for one it seems to use a packet of mix.

------------------
Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.

lighter 11-16-2000 10:21 AM

Bee125 I have posted an Angel Food Cake Recipe made "from scratch" for you in the dessert section.

------------------

Ann P

saar 11-16-2000 10:32 PM

This sounds really delicious. I have been dreaming about these big filling cookies forever, and I was always so jealous when people wrote about them because they sound so fantastic!! Now I can have my very own!!!

WOO HOO!!!

sara

HeatherA 11-16-2000 11:27 PM

Ok, my fourth batch is in the oven baking as I type. I made one back of the chocolate chip, two of the carrot raisin and one of the pumpkin...but with the last one I added the mini chocolate chips to it.

I waited on breakfast until I had the first batch done and can I just say YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!

Thanks a bunch! I figure you just saved me about $8 (ingredients cost ya know :) )

This weekend I'm going to attempt the no pudge brownies!!!

------------------

Started 8/7/00

christineu 11-20-2000 09:15 PM

Another variation to pass on-

Maple walnut- omitt the applesauce, brown surgar, and frozen fruit. Add 1/3 cup real maple syrup and 1/8 cup finely chopped walnuts.

I did try the pumpkin-chocolate chip variation that Heather suggested- GREAT! Let's see what other variation we can come up with!

Christine

Sun Seeker 11-21-2000 09:09 AM

These sound fabulous and I'm so excited to try them!

Please tell me . . . where in the grocery store will I find wheat bran? In the baking aisle? Health food section? Just a couple of guesses.

MILLIEB 11-21-2000 07:28 PM

In my store the bran's over by the oatmeal -

Janet Henry 11-21-2000 07:37 PM

Has anyone tried these and compared them to how the purchased cookies taste ?

These sound great and I'm curious as to how they compare.

Thanks.

christineu 11-21-2000 08:31 PM

Hi all~~~

I can get the wheat bran at some of my grocery stores- it is can be in the baking isle or the cereal isle (near the oatmeal). Please do not get mixed up and buy the wheat germ- it has a lot more calories and fat an da lot less fiber per 1/4 cup. The best place I have found to get the wheat bran is Bulk Food Pantry- I am not sure how wide spread they are around the country. I go and fill a big bag of it and it is cheaper then when I buy a little bag at the grocery store. If you are having problems, you could probably check at health food stores, but the cost would probably go up.

Janet- I would love to hear from someone who has bought the "real" ones versus my recipe to see how they compare. I am partial- I admitt it, but so far I like mine-lol- and I don't have the money to order the other ones or the patience to wait. I also have a lot of food allergies, so I cna make sure nothing goes in that I might react to.

I have some other fat free/low fat muffins recipes that I haven't had time to finalize before I post them...one of these days I will get around to it.

Later~
Christine

kt marie 11-21-2000 08:42 PM

I tried the recipe over the weekend & made the pumpkin variety. Unfortunately, I didn't like them & don't compare to the Baker's Breakfast cookies IMO (sorry christineu). The dough looked & smelled good, but the cookies seemed to have too much of the bran flavor/texture & seemed very dry to me. I baked them only about 20-23 minutes(about the minimum time per your recipe).

I double checked all my ingredients & don't think I made any errors, so I don't know if I did something wrong or they just aren't my cup of tea.

I will be trying your no-pudge brownie copycat recipe, christineu.

Thanks! :)
Katie

[This message has been edited by kt marie (edited 11-21-2000).]

poetmom 11-22-2000 10:32 PM

Christine - Made a double batch of the carrot/raisin variety - and they're all gone! I loved them - great breakfast food. They have a muffin texture to them that is not like Baker's, but they satisfy my cookie tooth and are good for me too! The Baker's variety are more "cookie" sweet and chewy - I'd describe it as more of an oatmeal cookie texture. This might be achieved by baking just a little while longer - or figuring out a portion of oatmeal that could be added (maybe oat meal or flour instead of whole wheat?). I'm going to try the maple syrup version (with raisins instead of nuts, however), and see if that's a little sweeter, too. At any rate, they're terrific and you're the best for bringing it to us. I think I'll be able to portion out more slowly the BBC I have in my freezer while also enjoying a new standard to my food choices. Thanks, Susan

------------------
Susan Thurston Hamerski
WW Lifetimer

lhendricks 11-23-2000 02:51 AM

CHRISTINE I haven't tried your recipe yet because I'm in the throes of packing and moving. I'm wondering about giving the bran a quick toss in the blender? Maybe some oats? How about using apple butter...soon we'll have a thousand variations on your genius!!!

Thanks for the effort. I intend to continue buying the originals, but it will be fun to try making my own as well.

------------------
There are many paths up the mountain but we'll all reach the peak if we just keep climbing.

mommy2 11-24-2000 09:40 PM

Christine,
How would you do chocolate, chocolate chip?
I'm not sure how much cocoa to add. Haven't tried the other variations yet, I can't wait to because they sound so good!

------------------

christineu 11-24-2000 11:16 PM

Mommy2-

I am not sure how much cocoa you would have to add- you may also have to add more surgar to sweeten them too. I have to finish up what I made last weekend before I start making any more and trying any new variations. I have been surprised by how much I like the chocolate chip ones when I am craving a candy bar- I would not have thought that 1/2 tablespoon per cookie would be enough to satisfy my chocolate tooth.

lhendricks- I hope your move goes well and that you are able to try these real soon. Someday I will get a chance to try one of the real BBC, but in the mean time I will settle for my own.

Susan- It is interesting to see your comment regarding the difference between mine and the real BBC- it really makes me wonder about their nutritional analysis, based on the list of ingrediants they provide. They only list wholewheat flour (no bran) and there is no way you can get the high fiber content with that and have teh # of calories they report. I think they may use more sugar- the very first batch I tried had 1/2 cup brown sugar, but I thought it was to sweet for my taste so I went down to 1/4 cup, but was still very muffin-like. I also wonder if the yogurt adds more mosture/softness then the egg whites they use? I actually like using the yogurt as it add more protein and calcium and it reacts well with baking powder/soda to raise whatever you are baking. I would have never though I could use it as much as I do until I tried it the first time. I do have some oat bran- I will have to see if I can find the nutritional info on it and try it in my baking. I hit the bulk food store Wednesday and bought 5-6 pounds of the wheat bran- it is only 89 cents a pound so I should be set for a couple of months (I have another knee surgery Dec 11 so I would be doing much shopping in the next 2 months).

Katie- I don't know what to tell you- everyone else has been making them and they have turned out. If anything, I have to watch that they are not too moist that they do not hold together. Maybe the pumkin was a very dry pumkin or something. I hope you like the brownies.

Christine

Christine

char 11-25-2000 08:03 AM

I have tried the "cookies" and I think they are great. I was wondering if anyone has tried to add peanutbutter, or would that increase the points to much.

christineu 11-25-2000 08:43 AM

char-

I have not tried to add any peanout butter- I only use "real" peanut butter so even if I did, it does not bake the same way as the Jiffy kind-lol. Hopefully someone will be able to come up with a suggestions for using peanut butter without increasing the points to much. I am glad you like the recipe and have had success with it.

Christine

REC 11-26-2000 02:08 AM

How 'bout using peanut butter chips to get the peanut butter flavor without too many extra points?

Divvy 11-26-2000 03:26 AM

How many points are peanut butter chips???

REC 11-26-2000 07:31 AM

230 calories/13g fat/0 fiber for 1/4 cup Reeses peanut butter chips.

200 calories/17g fat/0 fiber for 2 tablespoons peanut butter.

If I recall correctly, there are PB chips in the Baker's PB cookies. (Only had them once, though.)

poetmom 11-29-2000 03:57 AM

Christine and All Baker's Cookie Fans or Wanabees - Just tried the maple-nut, only used raisins instead of nuts. Terrific! They will be gone by Friday, and then I'm going to try the semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the nuts and add some pumpkin, too. I baked this last batch the maximum time and the syrup make the crispier edges nice and sweet.

I propose, Christine, that we not even try to duplicate Baker's, but promote your creation on its own virtues. They are considerable. Christine's Best No-Butt Cookies, or something like that!!????

Cheers, and back to the cookie kitchen. Susan

------------------
Susan Thurston Hamerski
WW Lifetimer

christineu 11-29-2000 04:56 AM

I have another suggestion for baking the cookies- I bought a set of individual tart pans (about 3 1/2" accross on the bottom, 4 1/2" on the top, flutted edges). I paid $1.99 for a package of 4 (actually- I bought 2 packages) at World Market. They also bump up on the bottom, so the outside of the cookie is a little thicker. Just right for one cookie- all turn out the same size and thinkness. The tins are really lightweight metal, so even if the cookie sticks a little, I can lightly twist (like you would an ice cube tray) and they pop right out.

Susan- your kitchen or mine?

I am getting ready to put together a bunch of dry mixes together this weekend so I will be able to make them fairly easily after my knee sugery (13 days and counting). I also thought I would put together some of the brownie mixes to give as Christmas gifts- I hope all of you have had a chance to try that recipe also. I am tryign to figure out what other dessert recipe I can go after to figer out now that I cracked the two most talked about here- BBC and No Pudge Brownies. Any suggestions?

Christine

1busymomma 11-29-2000 05:23 AM

Christine-

Thank you for an excellent recipe which I plan on trying, it seems like everyone is raving over them and i have no clue what I
am missing! LOL

I do have a question, in ww points land, what
one cook1e be considered? 1-2 pts for the
basic recipe? Thanks..... I'm gonna try that
no-pudge fudge to, what a funny name!! :lol:

1busymomma 11-29-2000 05:29 AM

DUH!!! I just read your earlier post on how
many points they are!!! Thank you, I'm going to whip up a batch tonight.

HeatherA 11-29-2000 07:51 PM

Christine,

Just made 5 more batches of the pumpkin/choc chip on Monday. I now start to sweat if I don't have some in my freezer as they're my new favorite food. :)

When I was done makeing the cookies I made a pan of the brownies and my hubby loved them! I made them with brown sugar instead of splenda, but plan to make them with splenda this evening...the first batch is already gone. LOL

Thanks!

------------------

Started 8/7/00

HeatherA 11-30-2000 01:16 AM

BTW, I went to our local gourmet grocery this morning and found that they have wheat bran in bulk at .59 a pound. I bought a pound and a half for something like .75

The boxes of it I've been buying at publix are like $3 for 1/2 pound or something. So if you make these cookies I urge you guys to find somewhere where they have wheat bran in bulk. It's a HUGE savings.

------------------

Started 8/7/00

lhendricks 11-30-2000 06:59 AM

Here are my substitutions:
1/2 cup oat bran for 1/2 cup of wheat bran
added 1/4 cup Splenda
apple butter for applesauce
mashed banana for fruit
4 T. of mini-chips

I made 4 cookies. Next time I think I will make 5. BE SURE NOT TO OVERCOOK THEM!

CHRISTINE thank you for a great recipe! Mine were chewier than the originals but the texture was very similar.

I am going to try adding a little peanut butter and some peanut-flavored extract for the flavor. I'll keep you posted.

------------------
There are many paths up the mountain but we'll all reach the peak if we just keep climbing.

Bumby 12-05-2000 11:00 PM

Pulling up. Just tried my first Baker's fruit & nut and suddenly I'm very interested!

SMKH 12-05-2000 11:17 PM

I haven't tried the copycat recipes yet, but I wanted to let all you bakers know that the company told me they use a prune puree in their cookies to get such a high fiber count. You might want to try to work that in too.

HeatherA 12-06-2000 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by christineu:
I have another suggestion for baking the cookies- I bought a set of individual tart pans (about 3 1/2" accross on the bottom, 4 1/2" on the top, flutted edges). I paid $1.99 for a package of 4 (actually- I bought 2 packages) at World Market. They also bump up on the bottom, so the outside of the cookie is a little thicker. Just right for one cookie- all turn out the same size and thinkness. The tins are really lightweight metal, so even if the cookie sticks a little, I can lightly twist (like you would an ice cube tray) and they pop right out.

Christine,

I did the same thing...only mine were in a 6 pack and were about $6 a Bed Bath and Beyond. They're professional quality non stick and worked great. I made 6 batches (24 cookies) in about 2 hours doing them 12 at a time...and they came out much better than when I was shaping them into cookies.

Thanks for the suggestion!

P.S. I also made them with pumpkin and peanut butter chips today...with a substitue of Splenda for the brown sugar. I haven't tried them yet, but I'll see how they worked out and let you know.

------------------

Started 8/7/00

christineu 12-06-2000 06:41 PM

I thought of using prunes/prune puree but I wanted to keep the cost low and stick to ingrediants that are typical in most of our cupboards. The prune puree, espcially a very thick paste, would reduce the moisture content and make them less muffin like and more cookie like. It would also change the flavor- applesause is pretty easy to adapt the taste to other ingredicants.

lhendricks- did you use store bought apple butter or did you make your own? I have thought of trying to make my own to see how that might work to reduce the moisture content. I am trying to remember if you can but premade apple butter without added sugar. Something more to play around with when I am stuck home after my surgery.

Heather- I am jeolous- my gas oven is on the blink so I have to use a small convention oven so I can only bake 8 at a time :( I like having consistancey in the size and thickness with using the tart pans. You are right about using the bulk food store for cutting the cost of the bran. I feel like I nee dto find it in 25 pound bags. I keep seeing all your post about makieng them- it sounds like you might be passing me by in the number you have baked-lol.