Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2001, 04:19 AM   #46  

I just baked these cookies yesterday and they are terrific! I'll definitely be making them regularly, with all the variations. Christina, thank you so much for posting it...this recipe is a godsend...one cookie (it was huge!) filled me up for hours!
Please keep posting more recipes.
Old 01-02-2001, 09:36 AM   #47  

Thank you so much for all the great comments. I am still surprised that I have never seen a recipe anything similar to this yet in any cookbook or any of the web cooking sites. I know the breakfast cookies have almost completely replaced my need for protein or granola bars throughout the day- I love that I know all the ingrediants and that I made them myself. Now that I am going to get back to seriously watching what I eat (I slacked off when I was dealing with my knee surgery the last few months) I think the cookies will really help with taking off pounds. I will agree that they are very filling- I like one for breakfast, along with fresh carrot-apple juice and another one or two throughout the day as snacks- I still have to keep my fiber intake up with the meds I am on.

Christine
Old 01-05-2001, 12:27 AM   #48  

Pulling up again
Old 01-20-2001, 09:47 PM   #49  

Pulling up- I did clean up the orriginal receipe (typos and my lack of spelling ability-lol) and put some more info about some of the ingrediants I have been question on. I am also going to put a copy with link to this thread in the WW receipe seciton to help people find it more easily. I usually frown on double post, but in this case I don't think anyone will complain too much- will they?

Christine
Old 02-26-2001, 08:51 PM   #50  

<<bump>>
Old 03-02-2001, 08:42 AM   #51  

pulling up....I think that's what you call it...

------------------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius -
Old 03-06-2001, 05:03 PM   #52  

Thought I'd pull this up for those who will be going into low-point cookie withdrawal.

I haven't tried the recipe yet, but I plan to with the left-over prune hamantaschen filling I'll wind up with after Purim. It's very thick, not like applesauce or baby food prunes. However, I note with surprise that there is not much fiber in it.
Old 03-06-2001, 07:45 PM   #53  
Slimwithin

I have tried the basic recipe and tinkered with the chocolate chip recipe (added some plain cocoa to the mix) but I have to say I'm not terribly impressed with either of them. It's much like I'd imagine eating chipboard would be....or horse pellets. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what the problem could be. The wheat bran I use I got from the bulk food bin at my local supermarket and it is a light, fluffy, very fine flake. Is this the right stuff or should I be using something like All-Bran?
Old 03-06-2001, 11:14 PM   #54  

Linda-

Make sure you are not baking the regular recipe to long- they are muffin-like so it should be springy to the touch. I keep mine in individual baggies in the fridge- I like to micorwave them for a few seconds to warm them up for breakfast.

If you add baking cocoa you will need more surgar and probably more mosture (maybe even a little fat)- I never tried making them chocolate flavored as I use my chololate muffin recipe (also fat free) for my chocolate fix- I never have liked using much fiber in low fat/fat free recipes that use baking cocoa as it jsut doesn't taste good to me.

Please try the recipe again, very carefully. Make sure you have wheat bran and not wheat germ- they look a lot alike but the results from baking would be very different as would the calories/fat. Make sure you mix by hand- literally if you have to- if you over work the dough it affects the taste of any bakegoods. I don' t know what else to suggest I have made hundreds of them as has my mom as have many others here.

Christine
Old 03-07-2001, 07:08 PM   #55  
Slimwithin

I think I may have discovered my problem. In an effort to further lower the points, I replaced all the sugar with Splenda. This is, no doubt, the reason my cookies don't have the proper cookie texture and taste. Also, you are probably right about the effect of dry cocoa on the mix. Of the two kinds of cookie I made, I much prefer the original with the frozen blueberries. I have definitely been using the proper wheat bran. I haven't been using wheat germ. Today I picked up some jars of baby food strained prunes and will give the recipe another try, this time using sugar. (sigh) It was a good thought anyhow. Too bad it didn't work out. I guess I should have realized there was a good reason for using sugar instead of a substitute.
Thanks for the help.
LindaBC
Old 03-07-2001, 07:41 PM   #56  

Linda-

The Splena would do it. I have used it in some baking but it does seems to work better in recipes with regular amounts of fat in them- it one of those things where you have to do a trade off- low fat or low sugar- can't have both. I am playing around with a molasses-ginger flavored ones right now- they are in the oven as I type. I'll let you know how they turn out. I am also redoing the calorites/fat/fiber with all the variations that I listed so I can post that too- they actually fall just at 3 points (a few with more yummy ingrediants may be 4 pts with the new Winning Points). I will post with any changes and all the varieties tonight or tomorrow.

Christine
Old 03-07-2001, 07:47 PM   #57  

Linda-

The Splena would do it. I have used it in some baking but it does seems to work better in recipes with regular amounts of fat in them- it one of those things where you have to do a trade off- low fat or low sugar- can't have both. I am playing around with a molasses-ginger flavored ones right now- they are in the oven as I type. I'll let you know how they turn out. I am also redoing the calorites/fat/fiber with all the variations that I listed so I can post that too- they actually fall just at 3 points (a few with more yummy ingrediants may be 4 pts with the new Winning Points). I will post with any changes and all the varieties tonight or tomorrow.

Christine
Old 03-09-2001, 02:35 PM   #58  

I had a professional chef tell me to never replace more than 1/2 the sugar with splenda because of texture problems. He said when slenderizing a regular recipe you can cut the original amount of sugar by half and then replace 1/2 of what is left with splenda.
Old 03-09-2001, 07:21 PM   #59  

Question Cookie question

I made the Moasses Ginger ones last night. I thought they were good!

I used the small sponge cake tins, so they were about 1-2 inches thick...the textrue was more like a muffin top to me.

If I flatten them out a bit will they be more 'cookie' like?. (I like the muffin tops the best, and will make my muffins in them now!)

Otherwise flavour was great!!

Thanks for the recipe!
Old 03-09-2001, 08:41 PM   #60  

Yvonne~

Glad you like the newest addition- I perfected the ginger molasses ones this week. My Breakfast Cookies are more muffin like then the real BBC. Like you , I like muffin tops so I haven't played with the recipe too much to make them more cookie like- I did try to change it some to make it more cookie like, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Geri~

What you posted about Splenda in a recipe sounds like what I have discovered by trial and error- too bad the company doesn't include it on the package- lol. Any of the really low fat, low sugar recipes that I come up already have as little sugar as possible so I would be leary of substituting more then 1/3, at the very most 1/2 of the sugar with Splenda. I did use splenda in the carrot-pineapple-spice recipe- I will probably be posting it tonight or tomorrow.

Christine
Closed Thread