Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 03:27 AM   #1  

I know that this is going to sound really bad but I was just told that I have gained more than my "allotted" share of weight and still have 10 weeks left. There's not much I can do (certainly can't diet) but just thought I would turn here for some motivation to choose the right foods. I lost about 45 lbs with WW last year (in prep for the baby) and I can't believe how easy it was to fall off the wagon. What I choose is bad - I go for the first and most available (generally it's the snickers or the cookies). I've got to do something during these next 10 weeks without "dieting" and the Dr. says just make better choices.

I know that some might just ignore my problem (WW won't let me go to the meetings EVEN though I have a Dr.s note to attend) and I need to find a support group - but don't know where to turn.

Any advice - I feel so pathetic :-(
Old 02-21-2001, 03:42 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

First of all don't feel pathertic, You have a beautiful baby coming! Try some of the tries and true step for WW. keep good food on hand, Stock up on LP items and be good to yourself Try to walk, and strech. It will help you recover faster and with your DR's permission you may be able to join an exercise class. All the things you did before will help slow your gain.
It is hard to watch yourself get bigger by the day and still have to wait 10 weeks for that little gem. Keep in mind, and i am happy to stand corrected, but you are NOT eating for 2. I have never seen a baby consume a big mac and large frys. The increase in calories is small while you are pregnant. You already know that and have the opportunity to help fix it. Be good to yourself that is the main objective so you can be goos to that baby.

PS is a boy or girl?
Old 02-21-2001, 06:12 AM   #3  

While my experience isn't exactly similar to yours, I thought I would add my 2 cents too. Fortunately, I actually lost weight while I was pregnant BUT because I was making unhealthy food choices (too much sugar, not enough food in general), I ended up diabetic for the last 5 weeks of my pregnancy! What a hassle! Try to make the changes now as a precaution against gestational diabetes. I ended up on a very regimented diet (including times and portions to eat), had to do finger pricks 4 times a day and had to be induced early because babies of diabetic moms tend to grow quicker than "normal" babies. (My hats off to any of you diabetics! You have my total respect!) Try to make some healthier choices now as a precaution and I'm sure the added fruits and veggies will help keep you regular and feeling better. Grab for some healthy snacks such as yogurt and skim milk shakes for the added calcium and fill up on lots of folic acid rich foods such as oranges. Best wishes for a healthy and happy deliver and baby!
Old 02-21-2001, 10:05 PM   #4  
Domestic Goddess

Hi, Sandi! Congratulations on your pending new arrival!!!! Now, I think I'm in a decent position to offer some advice on this, as I just had my fourth baby 3 1/2 months ago. With my first three babies I gained a nice 30-35 pounds. I was overweight to begin with, too, but my dr. never made a big deal of it. With this last baby I gained a whopping 60, yes 60, pounds!

First of all, I gather this is your first baby? Some women seem to gain more no matter what they do. They're just genetically designed to gain a lot. Some women are the reverse. I do know that for me, having dieted right before I got pregnant this last time had a whole lot to do with how much I gained. My metabolism had lowered (no matter how much WW claims that it won't happen, it can!) and throwing a baby into the mix just packed the pounds back on. So you might have some of that going on.

I guess my biggest advice is to just try to make better choices like the dr. said, but then don't sweat it! Allow yourself treats, maybe, only after you've eaten a good meal of healthy things. Get the snickers and cookies out of your house so they're NOT the first and most available thing. Stock up on fresh vegetables and other yummy healthy snacks. Do you plan to breastfeed after your baby is born? Often that can help in taking off what you've gained, too.

My very best advice, however, is to check out some of the online support groups at www.thelaboroflove.com. There are groups from everyone from those thinking of having children sometime in the future, to those who are pregnant, to those who have children but want more, to those who have children and are completely done. It's a huge board with a thread for just about every configuration of family you are. There are some great women there who would be extremely supportive for you.

Wow, I rambled, didn't I! I just know first-hand how discouraging this can be and I don't want you to let it get you down. Think, what's the worst thing that could happen as a result of this weight-gain? Worst case scenario, you could end up with gestational diabetes (though most women, SillyPhillyGirl excepted, are diagnosed earlier than this), and have to lose a little more weight afterwards. Your baby is worth it, and you want to look back on your pregnancy with happiness, not remembering how miserable you felt over the weight gain. Enjoy it! Pregnancy, especially the first one, is one of the most exciting things I've ever done--the anticipation of the new life joining your family is something to be relished, enjoyed.

Good luck!!
Old 02-21-2001, 11:41 PM   #5  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

I know how hard it is to make proper choices because your energy level is low at the end of your pregnancy so you want to just grab something. But it's extra important that you eat properly. The nutrients that you eat go first to your baby. Then they go to you. If you don't eat enough healthy food, your body may crave extra food to try to make up the deficit. Obviously, you want what's best for your baby. And one thing that your baby really needs is a healthy mother. The other reason to eat healthier food now is to prepare yourself for the sleepless nights and hard work of caring for that infant once it's born. I'm sure that you know all of that stuff.

As far as weight goes, right now that's not the most important issue in your life. I think that doctors do women a disservice when they set a specific number of pounds and say that you shouldn't gain more. Every woman is different. You can tell by looking in the mirror if you're getting heavier yourself or just sticking out more because you have a large baby coming. (BTW-your hips and behind are NOT the best place to look for extra weight gain because the joints separate, making them look bigger no matter what you do.) I think that your body knows what it needs to properly take care of both you and your baby, but you have to give it a chance by eating properly and doing moderate levels of exercise, like walking, with your doctor's permission.

That said, spring for some precut veggies to grab and take the edge off of your hunger. They're just as easy as those snickers and cookies. Make some veggie soup and keep it in the fridge. Easy recipe-- Canned low-fat, low sodium stock. Frozen veggies. Some herbs like basil, oregano or whatever you like. Stick it in a pot and cook until the veggies are done. Check for seasoning and enjoy.

Get rid of the high fat, high calorie stuff and keep some reasonable treats around and plan when you will eat them. Check the labels carefully! Ex: There's an ice cream here in California whose low-fat products have as many points as the regular stuff! Eat the healthy food first. Mom was right. If you don't eat your (healthy) dinner, you don't get dessert!

Good luck! Most importantly--enjoy every minute of that baby. They say it goes so quickly, but somehow until your "babies" are like mine--21 and 16 years old--often you really don't realize it.

Lin

Old 02-21-2001, 11:53 PM   #6  

thanks everyone for the advice - i feel so much better and i know what I need to do. Falling off the wagon was just so disappointing for me esp since it took me the year to lose the weight. appreciate you help - these message boards do a great service. :-)

P.S. - don't know if it's a girl or boy - We like surprises.
Old 02-22-2001, 12:33 AM   #7  

Another comment...I gained a whopping 57 lbs. while I was pregnant. I lost all but 5 stubborn lbs. during the first six months after my daughter was born. I didn't breastfeed and I wasn't dieting at the time. It just seemed to "fall off". Despite the weight gain, I had a healthy pregnancy (my doctors were even envious of blood pressure!). Diabetes runs in my family; however, I was fortunate not to develop gestational diabetes. I joined WW last year and lost 45 lbs. in anticipation of another pregnancy. I am planning another pregnancy either this year or next. I think some women are destined to gain more while pregnant than others, but the added weight doesn't necessarily have to be permanent! Just try to make better food choices and don't worry too much about the weight you've already gained!
Old 02-22-2001, 12:49 AM   #8  

FYI,
There is a special thread for Preggo's under the "miscellaneous clubs" section.

Jane
Old 02-24-2001, 04:03 AM   #9  

Sandi - There is a thread for Pregnant and Staying Fit under the Misc. Clubs. Come over and loin us. Someone posted a link there to another site that you might be interested in too (Labor of Love, I think).

Looking forward to seeing you there.

------------------
Cassandra
edd: 12 July 2001
girl
Old 02-28-2001, 03:10 AM   #10  
# 3 Fan Forever

I don't know if anyone told you, you gain weight faster when you get pregnant if you have recently lost weight. That's why you feel like you've gained too much. Your body never really adjusted to being thin. This happened to me. I had just gotten the body I wanted when I got pregnant. Despite being sick as a dog, living off of Sprite and crackers for the first three months, I gained back what I had lost plus 20 more pounds. My ob was supportive though. She warned me in the beginning. Don't be so hard on yourself. Being pregnant is temporary, as is your slippage. You'll have time after the baby is here to take it back off and you'll have plenty of support and encouragement here, when that time comes. Good luck! May it be a short labor!
Old 03-05-2001, 08:43 AM   #11  

I also had lost a fair amount of weight and then got pregnant 16 years ago after several years of heartache and trying. I was still very overweight. I was sick in the beginning and actually lost 15 pounds, but my goodness, when I got over being sick I put that weight right back on there!!! I eventually gained about 25 pounds which would have been 40 altogether. First, I totally agree with whoever said that you gain pregnancy weight more quickly after having just lost weight.

You have a beautiful new life on the way. Unless the extra weight is endangering you, my advice would be to use the tips given by others, and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!!!

Elaine
Old 03-05-2001, 10:51 PM   #12  

Default Why?

Please, if you are pregnant do not take offence to this...the reason I am asking is because we are planning to get pregnant soon and I have about 15 lbs left to lose...

Why do you gain...or seem to gain weight more easily/quickly after you lost a lot of weight?

What can you do to prevent it? Or does it just happen???? Is this something that could possibly be controlled or not? Or is your body not sure what the heck is going on?

Please don't take my question the wrong way...I do not mean it negatively...inquiring minds just want to know and learn! I am really concerned about ballooning up, and besides the getting over-weight, I have chronic plantar fasciitice (sp?) and any added weight will just make my life (and DH's ) more miserable!!

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS: Congrats Sandi!
Thanks,
Yvonne
Old 03-05-2001, 11:01 PM   #13  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Yvonne,for a few reasons the fird=st is the=at the metobolic clock has not had time to reset.

But the biggest reason women gain durring pregnancy is that the believe that they are eatting for 2. Not true. I have never seen a baby eat a big mac and large fries. check with your doctor about how many cal translated in to points you need to add to your diet. remember that the extra points are for milk and other healthy food not junk.

Just a thought, but if you know you want to get pregnant, why not work on maintaining and exercise so you can continue that all the way through.

-L
Old 03-05-2001, 11:15 PM   #14  
# 3 Fan Forever

Default Yvonne ~

I was one of the ones who said it is completely natural to gain weight when pregnant after losing weight. I admit, I am not 100% of the physiological reasons why. I do know it has to do with muscle, fat cells, and hormones. It is about metabolism. It is about ~ do not laugh ~ karma. Or, so I believe. Losing weight just to have a baby is not the thing to do. Lose the weight, wait 2 years and then get pregnant, at that point you MIGHT not gain the weight back. It has to do with the fat cells and muscles not having enough time to "remember" where we want them to be. Muscle needs time to adjust. Fat cells need to learn not to be fat cells. Losing weight, no matter how it is done, and then getting pregnant has the fad diet effect. You know, where you lose a bunch of weight, then go off and gain twice as much back. I wish I knew why physiologically we do this. I don't. After a ton of research I couldn't find the answer. I just found that it happens. I was grateful my doctor warned me. I feel a need to warn you. A baby is a wonderful thing. It means more than being thing. A baby and then a child gives you unconditional love like no other. I would trade being thin for my daughter a million times over. She is my world and is worth every plumped up fat cell I have. She loves me ~ fat or thin! I'll take that anyday!
Old 03-05-2001, 11:21 PM   #15  
# 3 Fan Forever

Default Not True

Quote:
Originally posted by L144S
Yvonne,for a few reasons the fird=st is the=at the metobolic clock has not had time to reset.

But the biggest reason women gain durring pregnancy is that the believe that they are eatting for 2. Not true. I have never seen a baby eat a big mac and large fries. check with your doctor about how many cal translated in to points you need to add to your diet. remember that the extra points are for milk and other healthy food not junk.

Just a thought, but if you know you want to get pregnant, why not work on maintaining and exercise so you can continue that all the way through.

-L
Not true ~ I didn't "eat for two" and other women I knew didn't "eat for two." My doctor certainly didn't. The body needs time to adjust. With any diet when you lose weight and then the circumstances change, the weight comes back 2 fold. Plenty will tell you that.

Last edited by NASCAR Woman; 03-06-2001 at 11:30 PM.
Closed Thread