Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:27 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - February 23/04

Hey everybody. Managed to dig ourselves out and get to work today - finally. The city is a mess. Kids are off school again today in the hopes that one more day of clean-up will make things safe. Between the hurricane in September and this blizzard, they have missed a lot of time.

Don't know what this latest weather development will do to our half-marathon training. I did not run yesterday and suspect that few people did. It just wasn't safe. I can't imagine that the streets will be cleared in time for tomorrow night's clinic but we'll see. I can't attend anyway since I'm out of town on business from Tuesday to Thursday (weather permitting).

Eating terrible, due to being storm-stayed for the past four days. Jeans are tight - ugh.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:01 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Susan, how much snow did you end up with? I heard it was a terrible storm. Stay safe; that's the important thing. I would have a really hard time with food as I eat more when I'm stuck inside.

DH ran the Florida Gulf Beaches Marathon yesterday. He ran a 3:54 which was okay for him, but he really wanted a faster time. It was so warm though that he ran out of storm at about mile 21. Anytime he does a sub 4 hour one, I think it's really great.

I'm finally getting over this horrible cold. I hope you're all staying healthy.

Hello to Melissa and lala.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 AM   #3  

We got 95.5 cm of snow Domina - 3 feet! You have no idea....

Congrats to your DH. I have real difficulty running in warm weather, so I can understand his losing steam. That's one good thing about cold weather - much better for running.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:29 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone!

Susan: Having that much snow fall at one time definitely brings things to a standstill! We're supposed to be getting some snow later today/tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's coming from up North or what. Haven't caught the news to see. I'm sure the kids are enjoying the time off now, but when they have to make it up it'll be a different story.

Domina: Glad to hear you're finally getting over your cold! Running in warm weather is tough.

Not too much going on here--I'm busy trying to get things together for my trip. I've misplaced 2 pairs of my good pant socks and have not clue where I could have put them! Tonight we have tickets to a big basketball game; other than that it should be on the quiet side.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:55 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Susan -- I would keep off the roads for a while. I can't believe you got three feet. That is amazing.

Domina -- I would think a sub 6 hour marathon is amazing. WTG DH!

Melissa -- fear not, there are trouser socks in London. However, I hate that when it happens.

Nothing doing here. It was glorious here all weekend. Did tons of yardwork, housestuff, organization and managed to eat okay by dipping into the flexies.

I'm off on Thursday to DC for the weekend - one day of meetings and then playing, however, I am booked wtih meetings all day until then.

bbl

lala
Old 02-24-2004, 07:29 AM   #6  

Hi all.

It's a beautiful sunny day here today. Tough going still on the roads, but at least it's pretty!

Not much new with me. I had a good OP day yesterday. With Lent starting tomorrow, it might be a good time to give up junk food. I really have let some bad habits creep back over the past few months, and this might be a good way to get them under control again.

DH and I are heading out of town for the weekend. Not too far away, but at least it will be a change of scene, and we won't spend the whole weekend doing household chores. May even do some shopping together - I say may because we have different shopping styles and usually end up going our separate ways in the shops because we frustrate each other to no end

Melissa: What is your actual departure date?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #7  

Susan, I'm glad you have some sunshine. Regarding your DH and shopping; at least he goes with you. Many women can't drag their husbands to the stores. My DH likes to shop for a while and then he will sit and people watch.

Melissa, yes, when are you leaving? You must be getting excited.

I've been looking at accommodations in South Dakota for the marathon and I think we will stay at a bed and breakfast. Sometimes that's a nice change of pace. Airfares are terrible. I'm holding off on that.

Hi to lala. Be careful in D.C.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:18 AM   #8  

Good morning!

It's cloudy here this morning and the temps are a cool 26. Actual departure date for me is Saturday The bus is pulling out at 11 a.m. for Pittsburgh. The flight leaves around 4 for Philly and then out of there around 8:30 pm. We'll be arriving in London around 8:30 am. I'm getting excited! I've been trying to pull some things together but my main packing will begin Wednesday/Thursday.

Susan: I like your idea of giving up junk food--I've been having a little battle with potato chips lately and not eating them during Lent would be good for me.

Domina: I like staying in B&B's--it's definitely a change of pace from the uisual hotel/motel scene.

Lala: Hope the trip to DC is good; I've only been there once and enjoyed it. I'd like to go back again to see more of the Smithsonian.

It's quiet here which is good for me--boss will be back tomorrow so the pace will be picking up and it will make the time pass quickly. It's hard to believe my trip is a few days away!
Old 02-24-2004, 12:09 PM   #9  
si, si signora

Hi everyone.

Happy Shrove Tuesday. We're doing the pancake thing. Its a british thing that DP got from her mom. Anyways, I'll be eating crepes for dinner.

I weighed in today, up a lb. No idea why other than my thai food of yesterday. I didn't drink that much water, I am not amused. However, I still journalled (stayed within my points) and exercised and drank water. I did what I can no matter what mr. scale said. To top it off, they cancelled my am meeting, so I'm not pleased.

On a brighter note, I went to the GAP (not my normal place of shopping) and bought a pair of jeans, boot cut, dark rinse not lowrise (who really looks good in those other than pre-teens and really slender people) and they looked okay. I also picked a pink overcoat that was marked down. Now, I need to get the jeans hemmed and I'm ready Freddies.

Anyhoo, its nice out after a "clearing set of showers", so I'll take no snow or sleet.

Susan -- Sounds like you have a good plan on for the weekend. I am planning on hitting the new spy museum and doing some shopping in DC. DP can do what she pleases, but I think she'll join me.

Domina -- I only stayed in one place in South Dakota, it was an inn associated with a hospital. It was very quiet. I really enjoyed the few funky motels that we found in wyoming -- one was in a converted flour mill and one was a set of small cabins. I think you'll find the allure of the western motel to be almost as good if not better than bed and breakfasts... Can you tell I'm not a bed and breakfast girl? I think its the talking to people I don't know in the AM that gets me.

As for DC -- I love it. I have one four hour chunk of time to try and get everyone to do what I need in DC and then I'll play. DP and I are celebrating our birthdays, she pointed out that we did nothing for her birthday -- er, I think we were in London celebrating, but whatever...

Melissa-- I personal messaged you. However, it will be a splendid trip. It looks a bit cold, so bring a scarf and gloves and a hat. However, things change...

Okay, I'm off to etool my gain and my food.

As for Lent -- I had a no pudge brownie last night with greek yoghurt and it was good. I haven't had a diet coke in weeks and I'm looking forward to giving up chocolate (gulp) and trying to be a better person spiritually. It was pretty good experience last year.

okay, I have novellaed again...

lala
Old 02-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #10  

Hi everyone!

It's a chilly 17 degrees here this morning but the sun is shining!!!

I'm getting caught up with some paperwork that's been hanging around my desk for quite some time and it feels good. I've been de-cluttering the office before I leave so I'll come back to a clean desk (hopefully).

I'm going to start pulling my stuff together this evening, the things that I know I'm not going to wear and can pack now. The trick is not to take too much!

Meeting day for me and I'm looking forward to it. I'll post later on how I did.

Hi to Lala, Domina, Susan!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #11  

Melissa, your trip is getting closer and closer. You're right that it's better to pack light. Take things you can wash out at night in your room. I took soap and a little clothesline with me the last time I went to Italy.
Your desk will be clean when you return?? While you're gone, will there be a little work sprite doing your job??

It's rainy here today--sort of depressing. We had rain yesterday afternoon; in fact, there was a tornado watch.

It's Ash Wednesday, so I'm definitely not eating much today which is a good thing. Yesterday was really a Fat Tuesday!

Hello to Susan and lala.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #12  

Domina: I figure I'm better off to take things I can interchange and if need be wash things by hand. I should be okay. No, I don't have anyone doing my work but the university will be very quiet since it's Spring Break for the students. I'll have a bunch of orders for the ACS Daffodil Days sale we're doing for the students but my other folders are pretty much set so I'll be leaving with very little to contend with when I get back. I talked with my GF last evening and she mentioned the same thing...rain! At least you don't have to shovel rain

Lala: Keep plugging along--that one pound will disappear and sometimes the scale doesn't always reflect the hard work we've put in the week before. I planned on taking my gloves because my hands tend to get cold; I'm not a hat person though. I've sworn off chips (tortilla/potato) for Lent.

Ladies, I'm SO very excited today...I went to my meeting and finally got to my personal goal of 135!!! What a way to leave for my trip!!! Now to hold onto to it!
Old 02-25-2004, 01:36 PM   #13  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Its coldish here, but its not too bad. I see lots of early narcissus blooming, so I shan't complain.

Domina -- I would stay indoors. Sounds like with wind and rain, its better to hunker down.

Melissa --If you are lucky you'll have a towel heater in your room to dry your smalls on. DP does that, I usually just pack more smalls.

We did pancakes last night and then cupcakes for an early bd celebration. I had a half of a nice almond white one (small cupcake) but the cream cheese frosting was killer. SUffice it to say, I feel awful this am.

Looking forward to a nice light lunch.

Susan -- I hope you are okay and that the roads are clearing.

Off to get a demo ready.

lala
Old 02-25-2004, 04:42 PM   #14  

Melissa, congratulations on reaching your personal goal. You go!! That's a great way to go on vacation.

lala, ditto what Melissa said. It really may have been the Thai food (lots of sodium).
Old 02-25-2004, 05:38 PM   #15  
si, si signora

Melissa -- congrats on your personal goal! Wowza.

I am trying to drink water. I had a pickle for lunch and a bit of turkey jerky for a snack. I need to drink about 72 more oz. of water to flush this out.

Sigh, I looked at myself in the mirror this am. I am starting to look my age.

lala
Closed Thread