Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 07:19 PM   #1  

Unhappy Appleby's help, PLEASE..........

Hey All, I have been on WW for 1 week now, and yahoo! I am down 5 pounds BUT.........tonite we ate a Appleby's for supper, and after I had eaten my salad, I was informed that the waiter had brought me the regular Blackened Chicken Salad and no the low-fat one. I ate the whole salad, but no dressing. Does anybody know what the points are for a "Full Blackened Chicken Salad, no dressing" is? I would be sooooooo grateful for any help with this. If I can't find out. I guess I can just count it as my whole 35 flex points for the week. TIA! God Bless, Loucille
Old 09-16-2003, 03:14 AM   #2  

Default I don't think it's as bad as you think!

Hi Loucille ~

According to 3 Fat Chicks, and Dotti's Weight Loss Zone (resturaunt pages), the *WHOLE large Applebees blackened chicken salad is 8 (3FC) or 8.5 (DWLZ) points ...if you didn't eat the dressing, I can't imagine it being 35 points! I think I'd count about 15 points for it, and I think that's probably over estimating ...but better a couple over than a couple under ...anyway, I really don't think it's as bad as you thought!

Wishing you tons of success on you're new journey! You'll do great!

*the points are for the low fat version

Last edited by Loosinit; 09-16-2003 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:35 AM   #3  
it's always something

You probably did well I've never eaten at Applebees and so have never had the Blackened Chicken Salad. However, the dressing is usually the most fattening part of a salad, so leaving that off was wise.

I've contacted Applebees to get the most current nutrition info. The last time they sent anything was January, so they may have updated it since then. According to their website, the blackened chicken salad is "improved" and contains more chicken than it used to. I'm curious to know if the low fat version has changed, too!

In the meantime, here is Todd Wilbur's top secret clone recipe if anyone is interested!

Dressing:
1/4 cup fat free mayo
1/4 cup Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1/8 tsp. paprika

Chicken marinade:
1 cup water
3 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 chicken breast filets

Cajun spice blend:
1/2 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
1/2 tsp. white pepper

1/2 Tbsp. butter

Salad:
8 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded fat free cheddar cheese
1 hard boiled egg white, diced
1 large tomato

Make the dressing by first combining the mayonnaise with the mustards in a small bowl. Whisk thoroughly until the ingredients are well combined. Mix in the honey, then the vinegar and paprika. Store in a covered container in the fridge until the salads are ready.

Combine the chicken marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and add the chicken filets. Cover and chill for several hours or overnight.

Preheat a frying pan or skillet (iron skillet if you have one) over medium high heat. Also preheat your barbecue grill to medium high heat.

Combine the spice blend ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle one teaspoon of the blend over one side of each chicken fillet.

Melt the butter in the hot skillet, then saute the chicken fillets with the spice side down for 2 or 3 minutes. While it cooks, sprinkle one more teaspoon of spice blend over chicken. Flip the chicken over and cook 2 or 3 more minutes. The surface should end up looking charred.

Finish cooking the chicken on the grill for 2 or 3 minutes per side, or until done.

While the chicken is cooking, prepare the salads by splitting the lettuce into two large bowls. Toss in the red cabbage and carrots. Mix the cheeses together then top the salad with the cheese blend and hard boilled egg white. Sprinkle half of the diced tomato over each salad.

Slice the chicken breasts crosswise to 1/2 inch thick pieces. Spread the chicken over the top of the salads and serve immediately, with the dressing on the side.

Serves 2 as an entree.

Per serving: 534 calories, 7 grams total fat, 2 g sat fat, 8 grams fiber 10 ww points
Old 09-16-2003, 04:13 PM   #4  

Talking THANK YOU!

Thank you ladies very much! I really appreciate the help! I was really kicking myself over not making sure that I got the right food. I ended up eating a banana and some grapes before bed, so I didn't go over my target points by much, and ended up using 3 flex points. Thanks again for your help. Have a wonderful OP Day! God Bless, Lou...
Old 09-16-2003, 07:31 PM   #5  
it's always something

You may already know this, but Applebees just sent us this message:

Beginning sometime next year, Applebee's and Weight Watchers will develop a number of new, exclusive items for our menu, including appetizers, entrees and desserts.

Following testing in select markets later this year, these new items will be offered next year in all Applebee's restaurants in the U.S. and Canada.

Look for the new Weight Watchers section of our menu coming next year! This new section will include the corresponding point values for each of our new items.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:35 PM   #6  

Suzanne......Thanks for the info. I really enjoy eating at Applebee's. You are awesome with your help!!!! Thanks again! God Bless You!! Lou........
Closed Thread