Old 12-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/166/135

Height: 5"1

Default Have you found exercise accelerates your weight loss?

Sorry for deluging these forums but I'm doing WW online so I value the support!

I'm just wondering how you've found exercise impacts your weight loss. Does it just cover you for splurges or do you see a real difference on the scales in weeks where you've worked out well.

I ask because I'm wondering if I should step up my exercise or just focus on staying on plan (although this is my fourth week and I've had no issues, on 28 points a day and using v few of my weekly points).

I do three 3km power-walks on my treadmill a week (at a pretty fast pace, 5.8km an hour) and at least one, sometimes two yoga classes as well. I'm wondering if I should do something more hardcore but part of the appeal of this routine is that I don't find it too hard to convince myself to do it.
flickety_switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I'm not sure exercise has accelerated anything for me, and I don't typically splurge or go into my activity/weekly points. I lose at about 1lb per week average. Some weeks are a little more than that, some less. I still do it though, because overall I feel healthier afterwards.. and I may lose slower than 1lb a week if I stopped.

It's worth noting that I like a lot of the higher sugar fruits, so that may be hindering my losses... but I like the fruits, and I'm still losing, so I'm okay with that.

I'd say do what you're comfortable with. I have some Zumba DVDs and a Just Dance video game that has a sweat mode in it. In the right mood, I find these things fun. I don't want exercise to be a punishment for anything, because then I'll have a negative association with it... that means it can't feel like a punishment either.. which means I'm very careful when talking with myself about why I need to do it. It's not "I'm fat so I have to exercise" or "I'm out of shape so I need to do this".. the words are more along the lines of "this is healthy, I brush my teeth for my health so exercise should also be part of my routine".. and since I find what I do fun sometimes I just do it cause I feel like it. I did have to change the motivator for me to keep at it.. trying to make it just about weight loss didn't work for me. Doesn't mean it won't work for you, just thought I'd share my experience.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 199/166/135

Height: 5"1

That's such a great reply Sunarie, thank you! I think I'll just keep what I'm doing for now. The fact I'm even exercising four times a week is big for me so I'll just focus on trying to keep it up and not guilt myself into trying and make it more hardcore.

My friend who's on WW thinks exercise has no impact on her weight loss but that it helps her to make better food choices and live a healthier lifestyle overall....i.e it's all part of changing her mindset. I think that's probably true for me too.
flickety_switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I find that cardio allows me to maintain at lower weights. If I run 6 miles a day instead of, say, 4 then I can get and stay 10 pounds lower. But you still plateau, just at a lower maintenance weight.

At higher weights, cardio definitely accelerates weight loss though.

At your height/weight I would expect you to drop like a rocket with a serious diet and cardio regime.

Weight training can have the opposite effect. Potentially slow gains through muscle, especially once you hit lower weights but at higher weights you might see some weightloss too.

If I were you I would weigh yourself one day, try a busting cardio session and weigh yourself the next as an experiment.

If you like the results, and find it motivates you, then let it lead you where it may.

Last edited by IanG; 12-08-2014 at 04:40 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #5  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I lose quickly with MODERATE exercise, say a 2-3 mile job 3x a week or spin 3x a week. When I train for triathlons, 40+ mile bike ride or half marathons - I do not lose very quickly at all. I trained for 5 months for a sprint triathlon and lost I think like 16lbs during those 5 months. Not much at all. When I moderately exercise I have an easier time keeping my eating in check. When I'm training - my goal is to fuel my body for longer periods since I typically do two training sessions a day. I guess that my motives change when training vs. being in weight loss mode.

I think a huge part of successful weight loss is finding a routine that works for you, motives you, and is easy for you to stick with. Once your routine has lost its appeal it's a lot easier to keep up.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I think exercise helps my mindset if nothing else. When I'm exercising consistently, that reinforces that I want to make healthy choices in all areas of my life.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote