Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #1  

Default Struggling with the point system

I go to track and I out in "scrambled eggs".
I'm using the iPhone app.

It will have 3 different entries with varying
Points, but no guidance as to which to use.

Also, I'm a former power lifter who is trying
To lose weight after an injury. It stuns me that
Enough simple, unadorned eggs or my protein
Drink can suck up 1/4 of my points!

I need good food and calories, I'm not sure
How eating chicken breast and egg whites
Suck up so many points!

Can anyone help?
Whalljim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #2  

A good idea is to take your daily allowance and in the morning/the night before, figure out how much points you want to spend on each meal and snack.

About the eggs - eggs are very low in points so I'm curious what you are putting in your scrambled eggs. I would put in whatever you are using into the recipe builder for a more accurate measurement of how many points are in the dish. As well, if you are exercising quite a bit you'll need to adjust your food intake and eat some activity points.
Autumnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #3  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Eggs are 2 points each. So 2 scrambled eggs is 4 points. All vegetables are free. If you want to add butter for cooking you can, but then you would add an point for that, but most people use pam and a nonstick skillet. How many points do you have each day? The lowest possible is 26.

ETA: I just looked up egg whites. 1 CUP of egg whites is 3 points. That is a lot of egg whites. lol So you can make whatever you want and only use 3 points. The protein powder I use is 87 calories per scoop and that is 2 points, but it depends how much protein/calories per scoop you are using. It can't be many more points if it is zero fat.

Last edited by Serenity100; 02-23-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #4  
Don't Stop Believing!!!!

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Have you looked at the simple start/simply Filling. It has power foods that you can eat and you don't have to measure. You have to be smart and not over eat them, but it sounds to me like it might be better for you than tracking.

donijo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnjana View Post
A good idea is to take your daily allowance and in the morning/the night before, figure out how much points you want to spend on each meal and snack.

About the eggs - eggs are very low in points so I'm curious what you are putting in your scrambled eggs. I would put in whatever you are using into the recipe builder for a more accurate measurement of how many points are in the dish. As well, if you are exercising quite a bit you'll need to adjust your food intake and eat some activity points.
I'm not putting anything in them. I'm just
Using the iPhone app and searching 'eggs, scrambled'
And 1 cup". Now, it's a cup after they are cooked,
Not prior. My wife tells me she made 3 eggs.

I'm not using butter but Pam.

It sounds like I'm tracking wrong. I juts need
To get more used to it.

Some things still are confusing. I do an activity
And it doesn't add points back, but puts them
In an activity column, where they just go away
After a week.and their activity counting!! They
List 10 minutes on a heavy bag as 1
Point! Seriously?!?!

I'm getting used to it. But it takes a bit.

As an aside! Thanks for all the help!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Just use "3 eggs" to get an accurate point value. They don't change points because you scrambled them.

"Scrambled eggs" is trying to account for eggs at a breakfast buffet that may be loaded with butter or oil, so it will be less accurate than "3 eggs."

And yes, WW doesn't let you eat your points back, like some of the tracking apps do. Maybe you need to up the points you are allotting yourself if you are much more active than a "normal" WW user.

How long have you been doing it, and how much are you losing?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #7  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Just use "3 eggs" to get an accurate point value. They don't change points because you scrambled them.

"Scrambled eggs" is trying to account for eggs at a breakfast buffet that may be loaded with butter or oil, so it will be less accurate than "3 eggs."

And yes, WW doesn't let you eat your points back, like some of the tracking apps do. Maybe you need to up the points you are allotting yourself if you are much more active than a "normal" WW user.

I never tried, but you can change your "settings" to use your activity points up first and then it will take your weekly points. This way you can take the activity points before using the extra 49 weeklies. It will probably work much better for you this way.

I agree that it is easier to track everything uncooked. This way you get an accurate count. If you have the app, you can also try the "recipe builder". You make something, put in all of the ingredients, and it shoots out a points value for the serving.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post

Thank you. That helped.

Two weeks and just 3.2 lbs. but in trying to
Tighten up. I was
Blowing through my points quickly, but I'm
Eating a lot more broccoli and veggies now
To help fill me up. I'm also using egg whites
To get my protein without using too many points.

I also, to my pleasant surprise, found that onions
Don't track. So if I carmelize them using Pam
And no butter, they go well with boneless
Skinless chic breast and some broccoli.