Old 03-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Post Bittersweet ending...

How do you know when you get to the point where you need to walk away? When you know what you've been doing or trying to do isn't worth the time or money you put into it anymore? I've come to that conclusion recently. I have been a Weight Watchers member for the past 3 years. When I first rejoined in February 2010, I completely committed myself to it, and it paid off. By the time September came around, I had dropped 31 pounds, and was well on my way to reaching my goal. That was until I ran into a brick wall and had to have surgery. After I returned from that, Weight Watchers changed their program, and that's when the weight gain began. Ever since then, it has been a back and forth struggle. I would gain, then lose, then gain again. That has gone on for the past 2 years, but the gaining outweighed the loss. I have gone up 16 pounds since they started this new program, and no matter what I've done, I can't seem to get rid of it. I used to track religiously, but have just lost interest entirely. I've gotten to the point where it was just getting old, and I need to try something new. I tried to do the Simply Filling for a week, but only stuck to that for a couple of days.

Last week, I made the decision to cancel my monthly pass, and to try to just eat healthy and get more exercise. No more tracking, no more following diet trends. For Christmas, I bought Bob Harper's latest book, The Skinny Rules, for my friend before she left for the Biggest Loser's resort. I took a peak at the book myself, and even tho he has some pretty interesting tips in there, I can't see myself following that to a tee. I commend those who have and have succeeded, but for me, I have way too much going on in my life right now to remember all of that. I work full time, part time, go to school, and try to see my boyfriend when I can. I just can't be tied down to another diet plan that I will fail within the next week or so. I think I need time to figure out who I am, and to see what works for me, without trying to follow a specific diet plan. Don't get me wrong, Weight Watchers was a great program, but it just didn't work for me anymore...
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottysgirl7682 View Post
How do you know when you get to the point where you need to walk away?
Based on your entire post, I think you already know you've reached that point. Most of your post was an explanation of how you have reached your decision.

Quote:
I think I need time to figure out who I am, and to see what works for me, without trying to follow a specific diet plan.
I completely agree.

Best of luck to you.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #3  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

Double post, posting from phone. Sorry!

Last edited by L J; 03-23-2013 at 05:40 PM.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I think I need time to figure out who I am, and to see what works for me, without trying to follow a specific diet plan.
Absolutely.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #5  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

Height: 5'6"

Weight loss is such a personal thing, there is no one correct way to do it that works for everyone. Even if something worked for you in the past, that doesn't mean it will work for you again. You are in a different place than you were three years ago (we all are). The important thing is you realize it and are willing to stop what's not working and figure out something new for this point in your life.

Good luck!
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #6  

I really identify with what you are saying. I have been off and on WW for 20 years. In between, I have done Jenny Craig, High Protein Low Carb diet on several occasions including at a medical clinic, Adipex(diet pill) on four different occasions, Medifast two or three times...probably a diet plan every other year since I gained weight in College.

Most recently my WW membership was active for four months while I was tracking a few times a month but nothing consistent. My employer announced a new plan to reimburse a portion of the cost for WW so I decided to get serious, once again, in January. However, I was serious for a week, then not for a week. Finally I decided about 2 1/2 weeks ago to get serious again. I went 10 days and gained 2 lbs and was disgusted, ready to quit. I had been tracking religiously, how dare my body do this to me and then all of a sudden the scale dropped 2 lbs. Ok it was not all of a sudden but it was really 10 days before the scale moved. I am not sure why but that is what it took. Now the scale is moving again. I am doing a couch to 5 k and I have 100 lbs to lose. I have been tracking and focusing. I was where you are about 1 1/2 weeks ago. You know what is best for you, but I thought I would share my story. I have also been reading stories online of people who have more weight to lose than I do to keep me encouraged. I am doing WW online because like you, my life is very, very busy. Anyway, I hope that you find the right fit for your lifestyle. We all have challenges to overcome in the journey to become healthy and the real goal is finding what will work for us as permanently.

Last edited by LovnMeNMW; 03-23-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
LovnMeNMW is offline   Reply With Quote