Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220.5/185/140

Height: 5'7

Default Things aren't going well.

Hey ladies, I haven't been on in a while. Seems like every time I got back on track something else went wrong. I haven't gained any weight. I have maintained my loss. However, during a regular drs visit, I was complaining about being exhausted all the time. He decided to do a full blood work up. I was really shocked to hear the results. First, my Vitamin D levels are extremely low. The Dr thinks this is what is causing my exhaustion so he put me on a high dosage to take to get my levels back to normal. Second, my insulin levels are very high, putting in the pre-diabetic range. This is a very scary thing for me. I always thought that despite my weight I was fairly healthy. He has suggested a low carb diet to try and regulate my insulin levels. I was going to try ww/low carb but a lot of my ww foods that eat regularly are on the low carb do not eat list =/. I am very thankful for all of the support I have gotten on this site. I am not sure what I will be doing, I just know I have to start something soon. I'm nervous and pretty cranky to be honest. Just not happy with the whole situation. I just needed to vent. Wanted to update you all on where I had been. Anyway, Maybe I will head over to Low Carb area and see if I can get some tips.
oksoitsjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

That sucks about being pre-diabetic and having to re-adjust on how you eat. I totally hear ya though because a couple weeks ago, I've been put on a bland soft food diet (due to severe acid reflux and possible gallbladder disease) which means no spicy food, mexican/italian/chinese, nuts/seeds and fatty food, etc so what's left for me to eat? LOL. So I basically had to do a 180 to adjust my "diet" to what I can eat. Good idea on checking out the LC area for more ideas/tips!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

So sorry to hear this!!! I was just about to private message you and check on you today!!!

I do a modified lower carb WW version. I've cut out high sugar fruits and only eat lower sugar fruits (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries.) It seems to be working well for me.

Hope you don't leave us completely!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #4  

I don't plan on leaving, I just have to find a plan that will work best for me even if its a mixture of 2 or 3 plans. Whatever works. He gave me a prescription for Vitamin D. A really strong dose I'm assuming. It's only twice weekly. I took my first dose today and I already feel better. That could just be in my head. The hardest part is trying to figure the diet out. There are so many things to read and so many things that contradict each other. I'm really confused.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #5  

Welcome back!!! I always thought I was fairly healthy too except for my weight so I understand how it feels when something goes wrong.

Are you able to meet with a nutrionist for a couple of visits to get some assistance on eating low carb food or anything else that might help you reverse the pre-diabetic status?

I wish you lots of luck. Having to get our health under control vs. wanting to lose weight can feel very overwhelming.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I have modified WW to incorporate more of a raw vegan diet, so it's definitely possible to modify it to what works for you.

By low carb do you mean cutting out wheat and bread type things?

With the blood sugar levels, do you eat small meals often?
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #7  

I do eat small meals often or I was on ww. That might also be part of the problem. But tons of the foods that I was eating on ww are not preferred for low carb. Pretzels, popcorn, potatoes, rice cakes, rice... Those are all listed on the foods to avoid list. And I eat them a lot because of their point values. I do eat lots of fruits and veggies. Buying fresh food gets pricey so I try to mix it up. All he said was low carb =/ According to what I have read, I should be looking for foods that have a really low glycemic index. Most of the foods I have been eating on ww have a high GI. And it is mostly bread and grain type things as well as starches.

I havent lost weight on WW for about 3 weeks. I also learned that my high insulin level makes it impossible to lose weight. The high insulin levels prevent my body from burning fat. Therefore causing me to gain weight. Which would also explain my extreme weight gain over the last two years.

So many different options. I'm extremely frustrated.

Last edited by oksoitsjen; 03-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
She doesn't need to do this if she's not eating things that are spiking her sugar. Eating carbohydrate-rich things often doesn't do anything but keep a fully-functioning pancreas pumping insulin out constantly. If the pancreas is already damaged eating carbohydrate-rich things often is the worst thing they can do, since it will shoot their blood glucose level all over the place, and the body can't keep up.
Right. And as of now...My pancreas is producing the right amount, but my body isnt absorbing it? I think that's right. So because my body isn't absorbing the insulin, I have way way way too much.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #9  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Wow Jen, That is all really scary news. I know that before I did WW I did South Beach for a little while and saw a pretty nice loss (gained it all back, it was too hard to maintain). But I am with [B]Jez[B], try and take it easy for a little while, work on getting comfortable with all this information, then try to start losing again.

Is this common?! Pre-Diabetic at 174 lbs? Seems like a lot more of us should be in the same boat then...... hmmm. Well, be strong girl friend.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #10  
WW Moderator

The Simply Filling plan might be an option for you! Lots of good choices for Insulin Resistance.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #11  

About 3 years ago my Vit D level was checked and it was 14. Now it is normal. I was on 50,000IU once a week, then it was bumped down. I now take 10,000IU once a week. It made a great improvement in my life.
CosmosHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

My Vitamin D levels were low too and I was also put on a high dose and it really did make me feel so much better. I now take a Vitamin D supplement, but think I might need to bump it up a little.

Jen....sorry to hear about things not being so good right now. The transition part will hopefully be the hardest part since you have to do so much research and work. But hopefully when you can get into a groove, things will even out a bit. Good luck!!!
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote