Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/134/127

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Learned from a Lifetimer

At my meeting this week we were talking about our stories, how we got to where we are, etc. A lifetime member was talking about how she had been overweight her whole life, and how when she made lifetime she still looked the same to herself. This is something I have been struggling with too, and I know this is common amongst people who lose any significant amount of weight. She said that it took 4-5 years for her mind to accommodate to what her body looked like at the new weight.
I almost shot water out my nose. That didn't seem like a long time to her, but it does to me. Have any other lifetimers dealt with this and come around more quickly?
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #2  

I'm a lifetime who lost 214 pounds. I think it helps to look at pictures of yourself. For some reason, the brain processes an image in a picture differently than what is perceived in a mirror.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I have the same issue, i once lost 70 lbs and was down to 170 but fitter from the gym so didn't (to others) look 170 and i was devastated by that number. NOW i would kill to see that number i was diagnosed with DBI. I heard the same stories in my meeting. I don't think it's that uncommon. It's all mental, the picture idea is a good judge
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #4  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

The picture is a good idea. I took a picture last weekend before yoga class and was astonished by how different I look!
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202.8/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I am a very recent Lifetimer (hit Lifetime on February 28, 2012. I still see myself as 202 pounds. I agree that a picture really does tell a story. Some girls from the dance classes I teach tagged me in a picture with them from our recital this year. During recital, I hated how I perceived myself as looking in the costume I was wearing, thought it totally accented all the hanging skin in my belly area. Seeing the picture of me showed me that I totally didn't look how I thought I looked at all.
SkineeMinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #6  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

This may be TMI, but I am a bit of a nudist deep down, so I actually spend quite a bit of time looking at myself naked. To help myself see my loss, I tend to find a couple of spots on my body and remember what they look like and see them change (like around my belly button, etc). I carry a lot of my weight in my tummy so that's where I tend to focus.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I reached goal in 2006. It took years for me to really accept that I was actually healthy and relatively thin. I still struggled with body image, binging, and other weight related issues. Once you hit goal, it's not a finish line. It just starts another journey to embark on...
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

Hmmm yeah, its the same with me. I was just talking about this walking out to the car after my shift with a co-worker. She was telling me how great i look and i said "I wish i could see it, I dont notice any differences in myself"... even though i know i have made a great change in clothing sizes, and have dropped almost 70lbs. I just dont see it. I think its mainly due to the fact that my body shape has not changed, every lump and bump is still exactly where it used to be... i have probably lost weight over my whole body at the same time, thus keeping my shape the way it is. The person i was talking to thought i was crazy cause she notices the huge changes since she doesnt see me all the time. You see yourself every single day, so it will be harder for you to see it, especially when your body shape is not changing as much as you would like it to. It would be fantastic if we could spot reduce fat in the areas we want lol. I keep walking to the Plus Size section everytime i look for clothes and then i tell myself.. duh, silly girl! I dont need these sizes anymore! I used to know by holding up an article of clothing if it would fit me or not... now? I have no idea. I hold up a pair of jeans and i say.. ugh, those are SO Small! They will never fit!.... but wow... they do!

My boyfriend gets angry with me sometimes if i talk negative about myself. He says "Stop it! Look at yourself and what you have accomplished" and while i know its wonderful and being the one thing i have wished for every time ive blown out my birthday candles since i was a kid... i wish i could see it, and feel as good as everyone says i look!

I have faith its going to get better... and easier. New clothes definitely help!
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #9  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

I just saw a picture of myself from before I started WW. It was crazy and while I can compare it to a more recent picture and see the changes there, I don't always see it looking in the mirror. I think it's because I never really saw myself at 311. I mean, I got that big because I never realized how much I really weighed, y'know? So looking in the mirror I still struggle to see the changes. I can feel them, in the way clothes fit and the sizes I wear and how much exercise has helped the overall health of my body.

But Mercury, you are right: new clothes DO help Today I bought the most fabulous bright blue maxi dress from Target. I'm thinking I'll wear it for Easter with a little black shrug and it will be perfect for an event I have in June, too.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote