Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/203/167

Height: 5"5

Default thinking about it

im thinking about joiing my local weight watchers meetings. how does everyone find it? how much have you all lost whilst being on it? and do you have to eat only weight watchers food or can you eat 'normal' food?
nicolae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I tried it while nursing my kid for the first time. It made me nuts, to be honest. I prefer just calories or exchanges. I just could get a handle on the whole points thing and the leader I had wasn't esp good with nursing mom concerns.

But other people do fine with it -- I think it is one of those YMMV things. Doesn't hurt to give it a try to see how it works out for you.

GL!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/134/127

Height: 5'3.75"

When I started the job I have now, I weighed 192 lbs, they offered a discount at a Weight Management clinic which sells HMR products and conducts those same classes.
I did that for about a year or so, it was basically boxed food. I lost 44 lbs. I got to a point where my body literally couldn't tolerate the food anymore. I floundered a bit and ended up gaining back about 10.
Less than a year ago I joined weight watchers with the Points Plus program. Since that time I have lost 34 pounds. This is the lowest weight I have been at in 15 years. I am altogether down just under 60 lbs.

A little bit about me though, I exercise a lot. I started lifting weights when I got stuck around 13 lbs and it really changed everything. I weigh and measure my food. I follow the program religiously. I may eat food that is not healthy, but I count it and deduct the points. I log everything.

I'm a little over 6 pounds away from goal. I've not been this close in my adult life. That's how Weight Watchers worked for me.
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #4  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Smile

I absolutely loved the meetings when I could afford them, I'm only doing the online now, but am still steadily losing. See my ticker for how much I've lost, I think it's 43 pounds in around 5 months and honestly hardly any effort. I can't exercise because I have back problems, but have found it doesn't inhibit me at all from losing weight. You can eat anything on Weight Watchers as long as you're counting it. WW isn't a pre-packaged meal plan.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

I loved my meetings, and wish I could still be at them. I know that the moment that becomes an option for me again, I'll be there every. single. week.

Weight Watchers meetings vary, and so that also means that people have different feelings about them. I love them. I think that most of the time they're good group support. Sometimes they're eye-opening. Other times they're just solid, weekly reminders of why we're doing this. Both are good.

It never hurts to go to a meeting and sit down for a trial meeting to see what you think of it.

So far, I've lost 50 pounds. I'm working on losing much more, too.

Weight Watchers is one of those programs where technically "anything goes". In general, as long as it fits within your Points, then you track it, and all is right with the world. It is not a program where you only eat their food.

In fact, I've had some leaders who don't particularly like a lot of the Weight Watchers made foods, and so eat very few of them.

They, separately, make things like cheese, muffins, snack foods and are affiliated with some companies that add the Points values to the sides of their packaging.

Nope, no one is required to eat those. Members are encouraged to choose what fits into their eating plan.

Weight Watchers is essentially weekly group support, and a system for tracking any, and all foods.

Last edited by Lovely; 03-19-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Removed extra word.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
I loved my meetings, and wish I could still be at them. I know that the moment that becomes an option for me again, I'll be there every. single. week.
What she said!
I had to quit the meetings because I lost my income, and I truly miss them. The part that worked for me was the accountability. I needed to have someone other than myself to be accountable to. Now it's just me, and that obviously never worked before. I'm still doing it at home but the minute I can afford to go back I will.

I eat the occasional Weight Watchers item, but mostly I eat what I buy from the grocery store. Their stuff is kinda pricey, and you can get similar items for alot cheaper.

Good luck finding a plan that works for you!
Micki k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #7  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Weight watchers works, but you have to make it work. I have had 3 failed attempts on it in the past (first two when it was momentum, the 3rd time because I let my emotional eating get the best of me)... But this time, I really am in it for the long run. You have to commit 100% to the plan.

I have lost 41 lbs with 34 more to go. Lifetime Goal: 75 lbs lost.

Last edited by DrivenByAmbition; 03-17-2012 at 12:57 PM.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

I love weight watchers!

- the meetings give me a sense of accountability & community support
-it is very flexible... you can eat anything really, it's about portions & planning for "treats"
-it takes into account the nutritional value of foods!!
-it nudges you towards eating healthier foods.. hello free fruit & vegetables!
-you are rewarded with the ability to eat more with activity!

So far, I have lost 55 lbs. I am less than 5 from goal. I also love the fact that once you hit lifetime status, you are a member for life.. for free! You still get the support of the meetings, the accountability of weighing in, etc... for FREE. This has been a huge motivator for me to stick with it until I reach my goal, even though the last 10 pounds have be sooo stubborn.

Overall, it teaches you a healthy lifestyle. You do not get that out of most plans. It may not be the fastest, but what you learn and the habits you make are sustainable for life.

If you're curious, go check out a meeting for free. No obligation to check it out!
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 288(WLS)/160/150

Height: 5' 6.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegrl1737 View Post
When I started the job I have now, I weighed 192 lbs, they offered a discount at a Weight Management clinic which sells HMR products and conducts those same classes.
I did that for about a year or so, it was basically boxed food. I lost 44 lbs. I got to a point where my body literally couldn't tolerate the food anymore. I floundered a bit and ended up gaining back about 10.
Less than a year ago I joined weight watchers with the Points Plus program. Since that time I have lost 34 pounds. This is the lowest weight I have been at in 15 years. I am altogether down just under 60 lbs.

A little bit about me though, I exercise a lot. I started lifting weights when I got stuck around 13 lbs and it really changed everything. I weigh and measure my food. I follow the program religiously. I may eat food that is not healthy, but I count it and deduct the points. I log everything.

I'm a little over 6 pounds away from goal. I've not been this close in my adult life. That's how Weight Watchers worked for me.
My experience is very similar. I just came off a packaged high protein/low carb program that worked well for about 30 pounds. I floundered at the end of the other program even though I was following it to the letter...was having very small losses. I joined WW because I did not want to lose any ground and wanted to reach my goal weight. My weight losses have picked up and I am back on track to reaching my goal. I am confident that WW will get me to goal and help me maintain it!
terrid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I first joined WW meetings in 2005 and within 2 years, dropped 80lbs and was the slimmest I had ever been. The meetings were a great source of inspiration and education for a healthy lifestyle (I was truly "in the dark" back then on how to eat anything sensibly). Not all meetings/leaders are the same though, so I really recommend you try out different meetings to find the one that inspire you the most (and is convenient to you also).

In 2008, I changed to a new job which gave me erratic work schedules so I started missing WW meetings. And since I was at Lifetime, I thought I'd be OK to skip WIs more frequently...to the point where I stopped going altogether. I have since regained 20lbs and am now back to attending WW meetings again for the inspiration and accountability.

If you are someone who needs extra support and accountability, I highly recommend WW. A 1 month pass also allows you access to their e-tools online, which I use to log my menus. It crossreferences WIs and charts your progress, which is pretty neat.

Last edited by hle82; 03-20-2012 at 08:45 AM.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I preferred the meetings and lost all the weight while attending them. Now on maintenance (6 years), I find I don't go as often even though it's free. If I ever started gaining, however, I'd be back in a heartbeat. For me, though, it's all about the leader.

When losing the weight, I'd occasionally eat WW food, but haven't in ages.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote