Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 10:49 PM   #1  

Default Thinking about joining WW (Newbie)

Hi everyone -- I'm Autumn and I have been lurking around here for the past few days. All of you seem to be very supportive and that is what I am seeking most of all while trying to lose some weight. I just tried the Atkins diet this past Monday and by Wednesday I was too weak to get out of bad so I immediately quit. I am really looking for something that I can fit into my lifestyle without making drastic changes to my eating habits. Atkins was way to strict and I ended up feeling resentful.

I have really improved and made small changes throughout the past few months. Switching to diet soda, switching to skim milk (thought I could never do that), eating out at fast-food a lot less, beginning to exercise, parking in the furthest parking space at the store, taking stairs instead of elevators. You know -- it all adds up though.

I have found so many people that have been successful with WW on here and other message boards that I have looked at. The point system is what intrigues me the most because it gives me the needed structure that I need so I can make a plan. Plus it sounds like it doesn't completely cut you off from foods that most people enjoy.

I am not sure right now if I want to go to meetings or do the online program. I know that many of you recommend the meetings but that can be expensive (atleast for me) to go every week. Do you have to go every week or can you go twice a month?

Just to give some information about me: I'm 25 years old and I have a 4 year old daughter -- I had been thin my entire life until I got pregnant at 20. On the day I gave birth I weighed in at 210. Through not a lot of dieting I have gotten myself down to 165. I believe I am blessed with a fast metabolism but maybe not for long -- that is why I want to start eating healthy now so I don't really struggle with weight gain later on. My current weight has been with me now for over a year and it's going to take some work to come off. This has been difficult for me mentally because I never watched what I ate or exercised when I was younger so I am really trying to focus and change my lifestyle. Sorry this post was so long, but it was my first one. Thanks for reading.

BTW my goal weight is 145-- for 5'9 I think that is the correct weight or close to it.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #2  
stbakd

welcome autum
ww is very helpful. you get alot of support and hints when things go wrong. you have to go every week because you pay for missed weeks. it helps to keep on track. i've lost 18.6 lbs on ww
glen
Old 03-09-2003, 02:42 PM   #3  

Default Weight Watchers Meetings

Hi Autumn! Weight Watchers is a great program. I'd lost 30 lbs. with it in my first attempt. Unfortunately I put it all back on when I left the program.

I tried it on-line a couple of years later but found that I really need the meeings to stay motivated. I also found that it's not enough to just stop in and weigh in - then leave. I have to stay for the 1/2 hour. I always pick up some tip or motivation to keep me on program. No matter how much the leader may annoy me or the topic may seem dull.

I know it can be spendy but it's an incredible deal for the end results. I rejoined January 8th and plan to never, ever leave again. No matter how long it takes or how much it costs. I'll pay it to be thin again and keep myself eating healthy.

Weight Watchers is a terrific program. I eat alot, am never hungry and don't feel deprived.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:01 PM   #4  

Hi, AutumnAngel --

I am a lifetime member of WWs at goal since 4/96. I lost about 30 lbs and managed to keep it off by attending a meeting (for free) and weighing in at least once a month.

One of the best "side-effects" of following the WWs plan is that you are setting a healthy example for your family and tend to be feeding them a better-balanced diet.

As far as the cost, you are worth it! There's no price that can be put on your good health and happiness...oops...I didn't mean for that to sound so "preachy".

You'll need to check with WWs in your area but in ours (Eastern Region of WW internatiol) there are two different pricing plans.
One plan is where you go every week and have to pay for the weeks you miss. That is $9.95 +TX in our area
the second plan is $13 +Tx per week, but you only pay for the weeks that you actually attend. In order to stay a "current" member, you will need to weigh-in at least once every 4 weeks.

I'll bet you can tell that I just LOVE this program!

One more thing, if anybody out there is truly unable to pay the full fee, I do know that WWs offers some scholarships for reduced rate memberships (about $5/week).

I just wanted to add something:

If there is any way you can manage to make it to the meetings (rather than doing the program online), I would highly recommend it. Make sure that you get your money's worth by staying for the meeting

Best of luck to you.
Jane

Last edited by JaneStarr; 03-09-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:34 PM   #5  

I understand the importance of the meetings. It would help me with maintaining motivation and learning new things about nutrition and ideas from others. It would also hold me accountable for staying on track. However, I have a strong support system here at home. My live-in boyfriend is very health concious and works out on a regular basis. In fact, we are trying to come up with incentives so we will both get to our goal. I feel like the message boards here and on WW.com would be enough. What I like about WW is the structure and the support. I am amazed at how supportive all the users are, I don't think I have seen another diet plan with so many people that are willing to push you to succeed. It really is encouraging.

I am going to go to a meeting tomorrow and see how I feel and let that make my decision for me. I really appreciate the support that everyone has here. It's wonderful!
Closed Thread