Old 11-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default Stupid question

Hi, all.... I'm just going to jump right in with a question that has me frustrated today. At my last weigh-in (on Thursday night), I had a small loss (just .2 pounds). I have been strictly on program every day since. On Monday, my home scale showed a loss of 1.5 pounds. I stayed on program, and then this morning it showed a GAIN of more than 3 pounds since Thursday. I know I need to stay off the scale between meetings.. but tell me.... staying on program, it's impossible to have an actual 3 pound gain, right? It must be water or maybe I need to, well, you know... poop. But that is NOT 3 pounds of actual weight that has somehow found it's way back onto my body in two days of staying on program, right? (Please say yes! LOL)

Thank you
Maggie
JerseysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #2  
Flex plan follower

S/C/G: 162.5/160.5/135

Height: 5'4

Did you eat more than usual the night before? Before you weighed did you eat or drink? I think personally it's just water weight There's no way if you stayed on program that you gained 3 lbs!!
2SpareTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #3  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Is it tom? Have you been eating food with alot of sodium in it? Have you started working out more? All these can cause water retention.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Use only one scale to keep record of your loss. A variation in clothing, water or other liquid can make a differance in the weight. Always weigh on the same scale under same condition, time of day clothing or lack of it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

There are all kinds of reasons why the scale might be up and down so much right now.

Water, food going through your system, hormonal issues, the mysterious ways of the human body, magical scale fairies... (hey, it could happen )

Keep in mind what others have said here for now.

Changing our eating habits takes its toll differently on different bodies. So, continuing following the program. Make your focus staying on plan, and put the scale out of your mind until Thursday's weigh-in so that you can get the proper comparisons on the same scale.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #6  

Thank you, everyone. I know you're right. After decades of dieting, I am such a slave to the scale. I really have to break that compulsion of weighing myself every morning, stick to the program and rely only on my Thursday night weigh-in at the meeting for the "number."

And the thing that will be different for me with WW this time -- at least I plan on trying to make it different -- is that I won't let unexpectedly small losses or unexpected gains derail me completely. In the past, I was great on program until something at the scale ticked me off. Then I was done .... I would binge that day and never get back on track. That lead to half-heartedly following the program, which lead to increasingly dismal results, which lead to me finally feeling like "this isn't working so why should I keep paying/trying," which of course lead to me gaining back all I had lost and then some.

This time, when the scale disappoints (either inexplicably or because I was off program), my goal is to just suck it, power through and keep on going. Because as all of us here now, WW works. You just have to stick with it.

Thanks again!
Meg
265.2/257.2/150
Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #7  

God, what is wrong with me? I did it again... completely sabotaged myself today ..one day before weigh in, after staying on track all week. I've been eating nothing but crap all day ... sugar, salt, processed foods. I KNOW it's because of that weird gain the other day. Like always, I figure "Oh well, you screwed up already, might as well enjoy yourself and start fresh after the weigh in."

OK... I might have just one victory this week ... and it might not be on the scale at my meeting tomorrow night .... but I AM GOING TO GET RID OF THE SCALE I KEEP AT HOME. No more unofficial mid-week weigh ins. No more!

Meg
265.2/257.2/150
Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Every step we take towards making this a long-term change is a huge victory.

If, for you, that means getting rid of the scale at home, then do it! Lock it away, give it to a family member. Something to make sure you aren't so affected by the numbers during the week when you're already doing SO WELL on plan!

Keep at this.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #9  

Ugh ... in my last act of defiance before literally tossing out my home scale, I weighed in on it and saw a 5.2 pound gain. In one week I put back on more than half of my total loss. You can probably imagine how much I'm not looking forward to my meeting tonight.

However, even though I will have a gain this week, I have two major accomplishments:

1. I did throw out that frickin' scale and
2. I am still going to the meeting to take the hit, face the music and move on. In my past attempts at WW, this would have been the point where I gave up.

So, um, yay me -- I guess.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #10  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseysGirl View Post
So, um, yay me -- I guess.
That IS a yay! Going to the meeting when you know you have a gain is one of the hardest things we can do. It's embarrasing and you feel like a failure, but don't. Don't feel like a failure only because so many people don't go and don't face the music. So the fact that you are is tremendous and you should be proud of yourself. Just get the number, see where you are, and make better choices this week.

I've had those weeks, too, where I slip up one day and just say Screw it, I've already messed up and keep over eating and don't exercise and have a gain. It happens. The trick is to remember what that feeling feels like because you don't want to feel it again. Now, when I can feel myself starting to slip I stop and ask myself if that cookie or doughnut or whatever is going to be worth it the five minutes after I've eaten it when I feel all guilty. That is usually enough to stop me. (And, if not, I just exercise more than usual )

Some people can do daily weigh ins or mid week weigh ins, but I can't. It screws with my head too much when it's up (and it usually is, it's just how the body fluctuates). But I do WW online so I have to have the scale in my house. I just keep it in my guest bathroom which I rarely go into, so I'm not tempted, haha
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #11  

Thank you, TudorRose. It was indeed an official 5.2 pound gain. But I am surprisingly OK with it. Well, not OK but rather than being defeated as I would normally be, I feel more determined than ever to get back on track. But now I have to stop thinking about the fact that my weight loss after 5 weeks is 2.8 pounds instead of the 10 it was on track to be. OK... stopping .... stopping... now! It is done. LOL

Meg
265.2/262.4/150
Old 11-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseysGirl View Post
God, what is wrong with me? I did it again... completely sabotaged myself today ..one day before weigh in, after staying on track all week. I've been eating nothing but crap all day ... sugar, salt, processed foods. I KNOW it's because of that weird gain the other day. Like always, I figure "Oh well, you screwed up already, might as well enjoy yourself and start fresh after the weigh in."

I followed this pattern for over 30 years, and I always thought "God, what is wrong with me? Why am I such an idiot? I know this doesn't work, but I do it anyway. Why?"

I finally figured it out (and with a masters degree in psychology, it shouldn't have taken me this long).

I followed the pattern, because I learned to. It's the way dieting "is done" by almost everyone. I did it, because it's the only way I've ever seen weight loss done. It's part of the "tradition."

It's almost like the Seinfeld episode when George Castanza suddenly starts succeeding in life, by doing the exact opposite of his first instinct.

There are a lot of different ways to become the "opposite" you. For me, staying off the scale wasn't it. For me, it was weighing myself a bazillion times a day to learn what normal weight fluctuations really looked like.

I weighed before and after getting dressed, before and after going to the potty, before and after meals. I recorded my morning weight daily, and I started seeing my TOM pattern (I learned that if I stay perfectly on plan, I still gain up to 8 lbs with TOM - but the weight comes on before the cravings. When the cravings hit, in the past I would have already seen the gain and decided "what's the use..." and I'd make the temporary gain, a permanent one. Now, knowing the gain is coming, I don't feel disappointed when I see it.

That was the really hard part, learning not to be disappointed or frustrated by a weight gain. I'd had it drilled into my head since I was 5 years old, that a gain on the scale HAD to be disappointing. If you weren't disappointed by a gain, there was something WRONG with you.

In fact, all the dieting "rules" I learned, meant that I was disappointed, frustrated, or angry at myself 90% of the time - and I was basically told that it wasn't only normal, it was virtually mandatory. If I wasn't disappointed, frustrated, or angry at myself, I wasn't "motivated" enough.

I was taught to use the motivation that I learned in my psychology classes, is the least effective (in fact, not effective at all... it's the very opposite of effective. If you want to fail at something, then make sure that you feel disappointment, frustration, and self loathing at every attempt. Make the attempt so unpleasant that even thinking about the tast fills you with dread.

We know this. We really do, but we do it "wrong" anyway, because we're taught it's the way we're supposed to do it, even though we don't do it with any of the other things we want to succeed at.

If you want your son or daughter to learn to play an instrument, you don't make sure that every time they touch the instrument, you tell them how much they suck at it. You don't make sure that it's absolutely never fun. When they do something better, you praise them you don't tell them that "you may have done a little better this time, but you still really suck, and don't you forget it!"

But we do that with weight loss, and wonder why most (up to 97%) weight loss attempts fail.

And one of the main reasons is that we don't recognize success when we see it. We have expectations that aren't reasonable. We think everyone else is doing WAY better than we are, so we must really be the most pitiful jerk on the planet. How on earth could we manage to be so incredibly stupid and incompetent?

What we don't know is that the person who loses at least 2 lbs each and every week without fail (even if the person has 200 lbs to lose) is the freak.

My doctor got on my case for complaining that I was "only losing 1 lb per month." At the time, I was extremely ill and disabled (I'm on disability, slowly regaining my health), but I said "at my size, I should at least be losing 2 lbs a week like a normal person," and my doctor reminded me that "Normal" people don't lose anything, because they give up. Just by not giving up, I was in the lead, not in last place.

It's as if we were running in a marathon - and we decided that we must be in last place because we see 1,000 people ahead of us, not realizing there are 25,000 people behind us (each convinced THEY are in last place).

You're not in last place, and realizing that can keep you motivated, along with refusing to be discouraged or frustrated (not just coping with discouragement that we consider inevitable, but actually refusing to be discouraged or frustrated in the first place)..

Discouragement and frustration are the enemies of success, and they're not inevitable, they're the result of expecting more than you get. You can only be discouraged or frustrated when you want more than you have.

And with weight loss, we're taught to want and expect the unreasonable, and even the impossible (only we don't even know it's unreasonable or impossible, because we don't know how everyone else is doing, so we assume we're in last place again).

I do wish that WW was like TOPS - in that they would announced the total gains as well as the total losses, and how many people weighed in - that way you'd get to see what "average weight loss" really looked like, and you could compare yourself to the average (which still would be high compared to everyone trying on their own).

In doing so at my TOPS group, I learned that "average" weight loss is usually somewhere around one quarter to one half pound per person. That's the average (and this isn't a group of slackers).

Every month, our group gives a prize of $10, that is split between all the members who did not have a single gain during the month. Of 30 members, it's rare to have more than 2 people share that prize. Sometimes no one gets the prize (and it rolls over to the next month and the next month's winners split $20).

That means that 90% of people have at least one gain every month. In 40 years of dieting, why did no one ever tell me this. I've been torturing myself for not being in the top 10% (feeling like I must be in the bottom 10%).

People don't quit when they're feeling successful. They quit when they feel like they're failing, and we've been taught to define success in such a way that it's virtually impossible to feel successful. We don't quit because we are failing, we quit because we think we're failing (and we're usually wrong).

Recognize the success and you won't even be tempted to quit. That's what I've learned "this time." I'm never tempted to quit anymore, because I'm proud of my success (even though I have to use a different definition of success than I was taught to).

You're not failing, you're succeeding (you just don't know it yet).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #13  
Less of a Better Me

FWIW, I am like kaplods in that I weigh all the time. If I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I weigh. The big advantage of it is that I don't get crazed by mid-week gains any more.

My weekly pattern is fairly similar. I weigh in on Saturday morning then usually I go out to eat and usually eat between 35 and 40 points that day (I get 29 PP a day). Then Sunday, I may also go out and eat or may not. So, by Monday morning I am usually up at least 3 pounds on the scale.

I also know that over the next few days weight fluctuates for a variety of reasons. If I eat higher carb for a few days I'll put on some water weight (since I normally eat lowish carb). If I eat high sodium -- water weight. More intense exercise = gain. I also know that sometimes I'll show a gain for no apparent reason. I'll have a perfect couple of days and do nothing that would show a gain -- but there it is.

I've had the frustration of getting up Thursday morning and showing that I'll have a pound and a half loss this week, eat perfectly Thursday and Friday and wake up Saturday with a gain. The thing is that I know it isn't "real." It does craze me in a sense but I also know it isn't real.

I also know that most weeks whatever I weigh on Thursday morning will be 2 pounds less on Saturday morning if I eat well Thursday and Friday (again occasionally that doesn't happen but it isn't real). So this week I expect to have a small gain this week. I even know why. I ate a little higher calorie this week (still well within my points though) and I upped my exercise quite a bit. Without the new exercise I would expect to have a small loss on Saturday. With the new exercise I expect to have a small gain. The thing is that weighing all the time helps me know and predict and recognize that what the scale shows on Saturday morning is that the full picture. (That said, there was a time when I couldn't have weighed all the time and during that time it was better not to frequently weigh).
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #14  

Thank you all so much for your incredible insights and for taking the time to share them with me. I feel like I had an incredible victory this week in light of the 5.2 pound gain. The very fact that I am not wallowing in self pity this morning but instead feel energized to keep going full steam ahead with my program is HUGE for me. You've all contributed to that victory for me.

And kaplods, I can totally relate to "My doctor got on my case for complaining that I was "only losing 1 lb per month." Last month, when my doctor told me I had diabetes, I told him that I was on WW and hoping that, in time, I could get off of the meds I am on for blood sugar and cholesterol by losing weight, eating right and exercising.

His response: "Oh, well, actually, people 'like you' can never really get off them." People like me? Do you mean, fat lazy slobs who are destined by their own sloth and gluttony to a life centered on doctors, drugs and disease? 'Cause if you don't mean that, dude, you'd better think more carefully about your choice of words and tone of voice.

Maybe his verbal carelessness was a good thing. It just made me more determined to get healthy and show him that "people like me" are perfectly capable of "fixing" ourselves and don't need people like him (read: arrogant condescending jackasses) pushing pills down our throats for the rest of our lives. I mean, yes, I know there are cases where medications are absolutely necessary, but there are many cases where people have turned their health around -- sometimes miraculously -- through diet, exercise, stress control, etc.

LOL.. ok.. rant over. But thank you all, again.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Unfortunately I am also a slave to my scale, weighing in sometimes 5 times per day. If I see a number I don't like, I binge eat.. For the past 6 months I've been doing this and it's kept me from hitting goal. I think I'm going to do what you did and throw my scale away so I quit stressing.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote