Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 12:27 PM   #1  

Default Trying to decide whether to join or to purchase info on ebay

Hi ladies, a friend of mine just recently joined and has mentioned that she likes the program. So, I decided to look into it. I know that I over eat, big time, as I love food, but I am 75 pound out of my weight range!

I would love to hear experiences from those that attend the meetings and those that are doing it on their own. What are the pros and cons. I am a social person and am motivated by others, so I am worried that if I were to attempt this on my own I might now stick with it. Any advice you can offer would be wonderful.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2002, 02:24 PM   #2  

tgal--

I am a former Weight Watchers member who is SERIOUSLY considering rejoining. I lost 25-30 lbs. from Feb. to June when I joined last year (2001). I stopped going for a number of reasons (mainly because I hit a plateau and thought I couldn't afford the $$$ and because I thought I could do it on my own).
Weight Watchers is, perhaps, the best diet program I've ever been on, because it's not so much of a "diet" as it is a change in lifestyle. After I had been for nine months (I only lost for the first six, then hit my plateau), I thought "I can do this without the weekly meeting," and I stopped going.
Unfortunately, I now know that I am NOT the type of person that can lose weight without some kind of support. Since quitting Weight Watchers I have gained back almost ALL of the weight I lost while going to the meetings. It is one of my biggest regrets that I didn't stick with the program through my plateau--there's no telling HOW much I'd be down at this point!!
I think that, especially from your comment that you are a social person, you should definitely go to the meetings if your budget allows. Either way you do decide to go, be sure to write down what you eat--EVERY BITE, RELIGIOUSLY!!! Part of the reason I hit my plateau in the first place was because I got LAZY.

Hope this helped. A lot of folks can do it without anyone, but I'm not one of them!
Old 12-10-2002, 10:31 PM   #3  

Hi there guys, I'm new to WW and new to the forum but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents I am a past WW'er who quit and this time I am really enjoying the program. I like the flexability and the variety that it affords me.It really is a life program rather than a diet. I was thinking about buying the info on Ebay but I decided to spend the cash and go to the meetings. I like the meetings as the group is nice and it's good motivation to keep on track while I get used to the program. The ideas that you get are great as well. Good luck!
Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-11-2002, 10:15 AM   #4  

Height: 6'0"

It's been proven that members who attend the meetings are more successful. I find the support at meetings to be extremely helpful. Also, having to go in to be weighed makes you accountable. Accountability is a big part of the WW program.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:27 PM   #5  

Angry Hi,

Personally, I need to go to the meetings and face that scale every week to keep me motivated. I joined online a year or so ago, but only followed the diet half-heartedly because my reasoning was, "Who is going to know", and at that particular time I was not ready to commit to anything. I get a lot of great tips at the meetings, plus you are with other people who are in the same boat as you. Since you are a social person, you'll be meeting a lot of new friends, not to mention the great recipes you can get. If you budget allows, I'd vote for the meetings.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:49 AM   #6  

I agree with everyone- going to the meetings is definitely what works for me. Even if I am unable to stay for the meeting, just going and weighing in keeps me on track.
Like so many others, I lost weight (60+lbs) then gradually stopped going & weighing in monthly. When I stopped I slowly gained back 15- 20lbs. I had just got my head out of my butt and started going again when I became pregnant...long story short, here I go again- but this time I will keep going to the meetings!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 03:22 PM   #7  

I've been going to meetings since 1971...lifetime for the past 24 years. Its the best gift you can give yourself.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:46 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

I have lost while attending meetings and have lost just as well doing the program at home.

In my opinion, it is a matter of determination, you know, making up your mind: either you are ready to make the committment to lose, or you are not.

Either way, good luck to you!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:55 AM   #9  

My oppinion is you can do it on your own, but don't buy it on ebay...if you go to one meeting just to learn the program, thats cool...it will probably cost the same too!

Go for it!
Old 01-01-2003, 03:39 PM   #10  
Five by Five

I've been doing WW @ home with the support of several online communities since 12/11/02 and have had great results - 18 pounds gone forever!

Unless you have mega support in your house or with close friends and are really self-motivated, I'd recommend meetings. My cousin is going to meetings and it is really helping her change her lifestyle!
Old 01-08-2003, 03:43 PM   #11  

Someone told me something once that really put it in perspective: if I could have done it on my own, I wouldn't still be fat. Makes sense to me. I used to be one of these people who didn't want to expose myself in a group of strangers. Let me tell you, it's this group of strangers who become your friends that are achieving the same goal. When there's a common interest, there's a shared strength. And, please keep in mind that if you're not getting the emotional/practical support you need out of a meeting, try a different time or location!

P.S. There's WW materials on ebay? Geez, for $10, go to meeting and get the current program. And I think now registration is free, and many centers hae a discount if you buy like 10 weeks at a time. Also, some large companies reimburse for weight-loss efforts, and some insurance covers a portion. If you work, ask your company (all they can say is no).
Old 01-09-2003, 11:41 AM   #12  

I am one who has done/is doing it without joining and attending meetings . . . however, as Paris Madeleine put it, I "have mega support" from my husband (who IS a member, and attends meetings) and my best friend who is following it with me. We have been on the program, along with my friend's husband too, for over 6 months. All of us are very happy with the losses we've had!

You state that you are a social person . . . there is your answer, in my opinion. Unless you have a friend or two who will go on the program with you, and you can motivate each other, then I think you definitely should join and attend meetings.

I keep a very detailed journal, weigh everything, and count my points "religiously". I am as concerned about being healthy as I am about the way I look - which adds to the motivation for me!

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck!
Old 01-10-2003, 02:23 PM   #13  

It's all about what mindset you are in. If you are in "weight loss' mode, it may be enough to motivate you. If not, you may need the help and support of meetings.
I did just the online version last year, no meetings and lost 20 lbs. I had the mind set and determination and that was all it took.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:02 PM   #14  

As a Lifetime member, I've been with WW along time. I come, I lose weight, I get cocky, I gain weight. The only way to really do it is to go to those meetings. The first thing you'll find out is that you are no different from everyone else in that room. I found a great meeting, made a friend and now we support each other. I've lost 27 pounds since May 2002. It doesn't matter how fast it comes off, just that it does. Remember, every pound you lose is like having 4 sticks of butter off your body. Try it, you'll love it!
Old 01-19-2003, 12:35 AM   #15  

Hi I just wanted to add that if you go to 1 WW meeting you can buy the starter kit for like $20.00 and pay 10.00 for the meeting. Thats only 30.00. The books on ebay are probably that plus shipping. Another thing is if you go to the 1st meeting you can learn the program and than decide whether you want to do it alone or go back to more meetings.

Christy
Closed Thread