Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Weight Watchers and Surgery!

So after much testing, i have a ventral hernia which is above the abdomen and below the rib cage. The Dr. believes it's a hernia but it's so hard that it could also be a "hard fat area".....great! Does he know who he's telling this news too lol!!! Anyways, I'm so bummed because i feel like if i am laid up for a long period of time, all my efforts will go out the window. It's bad enough I've been at a plateau for the past 8-10 weeks

I started a thread about Jillian Michael's' DVDs. The Dr. said i have to wait about a month before i can lift over 10 lbs and exercise. Which means as of now I'm off my softball team which starts tonight and I'm wicked bummed about that too but i know my health needs to take precedence. He did say that i could walk as soon as i was up to it.

Wondering if any of you had surgery/baby and were laid up for a period of time and how did you cope with the WW plan? Thanks!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I had a baby 5 months ago. I was up and walking around within 24 hours of giving birth to her. I wasn't going to let childbirth stop me from kicking butt. But, I couldn't very well go sprinting, I walked. very slowly. And I made sure to eat very healthy. No slip ups. I calculated my calories to a sedetary lifestyle, and it got me through. I am now back up to my active caloric intake, and still maintaining.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

So this Monday is the big day! I'm not thrilled about having it done but have to as i'm in pain Anyways, i've been juice fasting off and on the past few weeks to pass this plateau and i was down 3 last weigh in on Sat. But now i'm up and hoping it's due to TOM.

I really am nervous as i will be laid up for over a week that i'll eat whatever i have and not stay on plan. If anything, i'm hoping to lose weight next week as i will be laid up. Any tricks to not focus on food while doing nothing??!!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #4  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I would plan as many meals and snacks in advance as possible - easy ones. Even if you're not a huge fan of things like frozen diet meals, they might be a good option for you while you're recovering - it's a lot easier to stick something in the microwave for 5 minutes than stand up chopping vegetables, etc. And they're easy for any family helping out to make for you (instead of bringing over yummy dishes that you would love to eat but probably shouldn't). I wouldn't worry about excercise at all. Start walking as soon as you can, but definitely stick to your doctor's lifting recommendations. Lastly, they will pump you full of fluids during surgery. This is necessary, but you might see a really big gain after the surgery, and it could take a week or more to really flush from your system. Don't be disappointed or discouraged if you see this. It's normal and expected.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote