3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Fat Free Hummus! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/226106-fat-free-hummus.html)

KimberlyP 02-19-2011 07:17 PM

Fat Free Hummus!

After searching for months, I finally found it!! Fat Free Hummus! I didn't think the stuff even existed but when I came across it at Kroger yesterday I literally could have jumped up and down screaming :carrot: LOL! Ahh yes, it's heavenly and I can consume the entire container without feeling any guilt because it has a point value of 2. I also found Fat Free Feta right next to it and I had also been looking for that with no luck. Both were a little pricey but well worth the few dollars I paid for each.

Koshka 02-19-2011 09:07 PM

Brand? I love hummus.

katy trail 02-19-2011 09:28 PM

i just make it myself, but if you don't have the time, great find!

LLBoldAsLove87 02-19-2011 09:43 PM

Hungry Girl has a hummus recipe I've been meaning to try with a PP value of 1... http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/show/1898

kaplods 02-19-2011 10:08 PM

I love bean pastes. Not just hummus. I do buy hummus occasionally, but usually I just drain a can of beans (garbanzo, black beans, pinto, lima, kidney, pink beans, black-eyed peas even baked beans or fat free refried beans) and whir it up in a food processor with extra seasonings and some moisture (usually some kind of garlic or onion, bellpepper or celery, and a salad dressing, vingegar, wine, salsa or barbecue sauce).

I use it as a quesadilla filling or a dip for veggies & baked chips. It's great for last minute guests or potlucks, because it's so super quick to make.

Some of my best combos:

Baked beans (plain or fancy), some onions a smidge of barbecue sauce (or even ketchup).

(This one always gets the best reviews at polucks & the biggest surprise when they learn what it is).

White beans (cannellini or any white or light colored bean)/onion, garlic or shallot/ vinaigrette dressing (oil & vinegar or italian) or even wine.

black beans or refried beans & salsa (with refried beans you don't even need a food processor, just stir).

chili seasoned beans (don't need to add anything, just drain lightly. I usually do add onion though).

white beans/cilantro/asian dressing (like Newman's sesame ginger)

river 02-20-2011 07:48 AM

Great thread, I'm inspired to head to the kitchen right now and whip up some hummus!

Jennifer 3FC 02-20-2011 10:11 AM

Oooh yeah, hummus and zucchini strips. That could work for breakfast, right? :)

Kimberly, what brand is the hummus you found?

chickybird 02-20-2011 11:08 AM

Not what the OP bought, but this recipe looks fun to try:
http://happyherbivore.com/2009/06/hummus/

caryesings 02-20-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyP (Post 3720439)
After searching for months, I finally found it!! Fat Free Hummus! I didn't think the stuff even existed but when I came across it at Kroger yesterday I literally could have jumped up and down screaming :carrot: LOL! Ahh yes, it's heavenly and I can consume the entire container without feeling any guilt because it has a point value of 2. I also found Fat Free Feta right next to it and I had also been looking for that with no luck. Both were a little pricey but well worth the few dollars I paid for each.

I'd recommend a bit of caution on eating entire container thinking it's a fat free product. They may not have added any oil, but as chickpeas/garbonzo beans naturally contain fat, I suspect the marketer has based claim of 0 grams of fat on showing a small enough serving size that they're allowed to round value down to 0.

QuilterInVA 02-20-2011 03:00 PM

I guess you found a hummus substitute. Hummus by definition has oil in it, and the beans contain oil.

KimberlyP 02-20-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 3720599)
I love bean pastes. Not just hummus. I do buy hummus occasionally, but usually I just drain a can of beans (garbanzo, black beans, pinto, lima, kidney, pink beans, black-eyed peas even baked beans or fat free refried beans) and whir it up in a food processor with extra seasonings and some moisture (usually some kind of garlic or onion, bellpepper or celery, and a salad dressing, vingegar, wine, salsa or barbecue sauce).

I use it as a quesadilla filling or a dip for veggies & baked chips. It's great for last minute guests or potlucks, because it's so super quick to make.

Some of my best combos:

Baked beans (plain or fancy), some onions a smidge of barbecue sauce (or even ketchup).

(This one always gets the best reviews at polucks & the biggest surprise when they learn what it is).

White beans (cannellini or any white or light colored bean)/onion, garlic or shallot/ vinaigrette dressing (oil & vinegar or italian) or even wine.

black beans or refried beans & salsa (with refried beans you don't even need a food processor, just stir).

chili seasoned beans (don't need to add anything, just drain lightly. I usually do add onion though).

white beans/cilantro/asian dressing (like Newman's sesame ginger)

I'm going to have to try these, they sound awesome!!!

amandie 02-20-2011 06:20 PM

Kaplods- all these combos sound so good! Will have to try out some of these! TFS!

KimberlyP 02-21-2011 08:41 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back with everyone about the brand!! It's Oasis Classic Cuisine =D

Tudor Rose 02-21-2011 10:15 AM

As a few have also mentioned, I'm a bit suspicious of an entire container of hummus being only 2 pts.

Jennifer 3FC 02-21-2011 12:02 PM

Ok, I found this in the archives. No tahini or olive oil, and the chick peas are also mixed with carrots and cauliflower. I definitely have to try some of this. :carrot:

Quote:

I found a brand of hummus (they spell it Hommus on the container) at Super Target that appears to be Core. We bought the Mediterranean Medley flavor. The brand is Oasis Classic Cuisine, $2.99 for a 8 oz. container, and here's the info to 2 tablespoons:

Calories: 18
Fat: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 37mg
Carb: 3g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 1g

Ingredients: Organic chickpeas, water, red bell pepper, cauliflower, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, spices.

Koshka 02-21-2011 09:40 PM

I have to see if I can find some of that.

barbaramatafeo 02-22-2011 11:09 AM

Oh Kimberly! I could kiss you! I too have been searching and am completely addicted to hummus. I need to go to the store tonight so I am hoping I find it. I shop at Ralphs which I believe is Kroger.

Rarr777 02-23-2011 03:13 PM

Yum! I love hummus. I have never had homemade hummus though. Hmm....

amandie 02-23-2011 05:15 PM

Rarr- personally- homemade hummus can be messy and it doesn't get smooth enough (for me) no matter how long I do it in the blender even pushing down the sides with spatula. I'm thinking about getting a food processor just for that.... It's cheaper, though..... 1 can of garbanzo makes a LOT.

lynx101 02-23-2011 05:39 PM

If a food has less than .5 grams of fat per serving, it is allowed to be labeled "fat free". It may not actually be fat free when multiple servings are being consumed.

Rarr777 02-25-2011 06:41 PM

Thanks for the info Amandie =)

Jennifer 3FC 02-26-2011 09:16 AM

Lynx, in this case it is truly fat free. The ingredients are listed above.

Kimberly, I went to Krogers yesterday and they did not have this brand. Shoot! We've got another Krogers in town though, so I'll try them this weekend.

nancylmrn 02-28-2011 02:38 PM

yummy yummy yummy