Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

Default I'm gonna be up...

Hi WW Friends,

I weigh in on Saturdays, and I am about 1.5 up from last week as of this morning. It may not be that dramatic by Saturday, but I have a feeling I am going to be up at least 0.5-1 lb

How do you deal with this? My mom (who is now a life-time member for two years) used to skip her weigh in days altogether. That is probably not the healthy way to approach it, so I'm wondering if you guys have any thoughts on this. Do you just weigh in as normal and deal with the negative of being up? Do you have any tips for me? I just feel defeated, although I know it could just be my body this week, I am second-guessing some of my portions or if I really chose smart things for my points.

I appreciate the support and advice
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

You weigh in, you move on. You review your week and see whether it was things you can control (portion sizes, food choices) or things you couldn't control (sickness, bloating, etc).

You're going to have gains along the way. It's just life. Skipping a weigh in because you think you've gained is like not checking your bank balance because you think you've overdrawn your account.

I gained this week. Mostly from being sick. I gained another week from too much bread and butter and fuzzy counting.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #3  

Look at it as motivation to do better. You know as kids when we took a test and did really bad, then the next time we studied harder and did better? Same thing!
I know there is always that shock you feel at first I am the first one to admit how emotional I get, but when you sit down and think about it then the rational thing to do is learn from it and move on.
Get your weigh in, think about it, move on to bigger (smaller in this case) and better things! Motivation is key!
usam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #4  

Thanks Ladies---I know I am just too hard on myself, and I know the areas in my food choices that probably need to be improved, but it is frustrating because I did stay within the points for the week, but I used all my WP's and some AP's, which I haven't done in the past----I probably need to go back to being stricter with my choices, but I also don't want to feel that 'deprivation' because that always leads to over-doing it.

How do you find that balance?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #5  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

For me...it's like ripping of a band aid...I just go, weight in and try to do better the next week. I wouldn't skip...because then you might skip the week after...and the week after...etc.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

I am a lifetime member of WW who once was well below my goal weight of 125. I am now way above it. The primary reason I am above it is that I hated to weigh in with a gain and I would say to myself that I would skip the week and do well the following week and would then weigh in and show a loss. But then I would have a bad week the following week and still not show a loss so I would skip next meeting and then I would quit following the program and go back months (or years) later with a big gain.

Absolutely the most important thing for me is to go to a meeting even if I have a gain. Occasionally, I have gone to the meeting and skip weigh in. You are allowed to do that and that has been helpful a couple of times (never for more than a week at a time).
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #7  

Thanks ladies---I think I just dread seeing any sort of negative result, like it doesn't feel real until I actually go there, even though I can see the gain on my own scale! I guess it must just be a fear of failure, but its not like they are going to scold me or anything! I'll just have to go back to not using my AP's and less of my WP's. And not buy any more dried fruit I had way too many apricots this week, even though I stayed within my points, they are too much of a 'treat' or trigger for me, apparently!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #8  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

When I know I have a gain, I find it especially important to weigh-in. For me, the weigh-in is like the "reset" for the next week. I go in, see the gain, get over it. When I skip the weigh-in, the gain sort of lingers over my head the next week and sometimes is a reason to perpetually cheat because I'm already up.
skinnycow126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfree13 View Post
Thanks Ladies---I know I am just too hard on myself, and I know the areas in my food choices that probably need to be improved, but it is frustrating because I did stay within the points for the week, but I used all my WP's and some AP's, which I haven't done in the past----I probably need to go back to being stricter with my choices, but I also don't want to feel that 'deprivation' because that always leads to over-doing it.

How do you find that balance?
Part of this might just be water gain due to eating more food this week than your body is used to. Your gain right now may not be an indication that you can't eat all your WP's and some AP's every week. If you like the higher amount of food, you might want to try using the same number of WP's and AP's next week and see what happens. Unless you really miscounted this week's points, it is very doubtful that you gained 1.5 lbs of true fat because that would be an additional 5250 calories (~131 points) ABOVE what you normally eat. We don't get that many WPs.
Shades of Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
Part of this might just be water gain due to eating more food this week than your body is used to. Your gain right now may not be an indication that you can't eat all your WP's and some AP's every week. If you like the higher amount of food, you might want to try using the same number of WP's and AP's next week and see what happens. Unless you really miscounted this week's points, it is very doubtful that you gained 1.5 lbs of true fat because that would be an additional 5250 calories (~131 points) ABOVE what you normally eat. We don't get that many WPs.
This is really good and helpful feedback, thank you! Yes, you are right, I definitely didn't eat that many extra calories! Even my Saturday night cookie fest only used my 49 points (not the wisest choice, but I didn't go over my WP's, and I still have about 20 AP's left for the week!). We'll see how tomorrow goes.

We got hit with a lot of snow so I had to miss the gym three days this week too, which isn't 'normal' for me, so I can probably just chalk it up to a not so great week in terms of exercise. I really appreciate the positive feedback I get from this website---you ladies are so positive and inspiring! Thank you
Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #11  
Wishful shrinking

S/C/G: 266/235/160

If you skip, it is like a domino effect. It is too easy to continue skipping and suddenly you may find yourself out of control. I am speaking from experience. Bite the bullet, take your medicine, and weigh in
barbaramatafeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #12  

I wanted to say thank you for all the encouragement! I wasn't up this week! Although my loss wasn't amazing, at least I lost, and I realized (like someone said above), that I am eating way too much sodium and definitely retaining water. I'm going to watch my added salt intake this week (ie. I always use a lot on my veggies), and I bet I'll see even better results next week.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement! The meetings are't nearly as up-lifting or helpful as this forum!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

On my 3rd weigh in I was up .4 according to my home scale and I dreaded going in but it wasn't bad. They don't like rub it in your face or anything. I was glad I went b/c then I got to enjoy the meeting which will most likely motivate you to get right back on track.

Last edited by VeggieGirl84; 02-05-2011 at 07:17 PM.
VeggieGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Woo hoo! Congrats!
Shades of Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #15  

Thank you