Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

Default Newbie looking for support and advice!

Hi. Again! I'm an, ahem, new weight watchers (classic rejoiner) as of last week. Motivated to finally make this happen in 2011, I decided that Weight Watchers is the program for me based solely on the accountability of meetings and the belief I have in the program (my Sister reached lifetime status a few months ago after successfully losing 30 pounds and keeping it off!).

The new pointsplus program has me a little nervous because it seems that my daily point target is rather high (42). Has the transition from the old Point system to the new Point Plus system been difficult for those that are seasoned WW'ers?

Also, my biggest concern is that I go out to eat on the weekends, at least once. This past weekend we went to a mexican restaurant and while I tried to make extremely healthy choices (chicken fajita with corn tortillas instead of flour) I find it very difficult to "guesstimate" the point values when nutrition information is not available at the restaurant. How do you guys do this without feeling guilty that you may have underestimated the point values?

Any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated as I begin the WW journey again...for the last time.
TransformingToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Hi, I LOVE the new points plus program! I did very poorly on the previous plan. I get 30 points but don't forget you get 47 weekly points to go out on weekends as you mentioned. I unfortunately don't use many as i tend to not lose weight when i do them. Eating fruit and not having to count the points is a godsend! How the points work is that carbs are now higher points. Like the flatbread went from 1 pt to 3 pts, that's why the extra points in the new program. The meals all went up but the new boxes are not out yet. I, like you am a pro of joining, i want to have 2011 be my LAST year of being overweight.
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I am allotted 29 points and I have no problem eating them all.

I purchased the WW food companion- it lists points for ethnic foods like authentic Mexican. Alternatively, you could look up a chain Mexican restaurant like On the Border or Don Pablos and go by their info.
VeggieGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Read all of your materials, then read them again. Then read the online materials. It has been hugely helpful to me.

I'm steadily loosing on the new program.

And the points are totally different. A point used to be between 50-100 calories, now they are 35-40. So your 42 points is really only about 1680 calories. It's ok to go a little below, but don't go below 29. And be sure you are sticking to the Good Health Guidelines (in your materials).

Attend the "getting started" session after the first meeting to get all your questions answered (even the ones you didn't know you had.)

As far as restaurant info: there is an article in the first booklet that goes over that, and I think the online tools might have some information too. Essentially, break the dish into elements and count the points for those : chicken (weigh different amounts of cooked chicken at home so you get good at eyeballing), carbs, rice, beans, sauce. Deep fried will be way more calories, obviously. Figure out what an oz. of chips looks like. Find the points for beer v. margarita.

It will take a little work ahead of time, but it will be worth it. And if you need to use your Weekly or Activity points, that's what they are there for.

And as with everything - let your weight loss (or lack thereof) be your guide.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

hi there im from the UK and just started bk at ww i never done the points plan before i done core plan. Our new points plan is called pro points i am allowed 29 points a day and 49 points over the week extra for treats or whatever i liked i have been doing it since the end of november and i lost 5.5lbs in the first 5 weeks but then with a 3 week xmas break i put 3lbs back on but it does work and i just started back last week so hoping for another loss this week.

Ps dont be affraid to have a treat on the weekend i always have one and i use my 49 weekly points to do it. Good luck xxx
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Just wanted to say WELCOME!!! and yes use those 49 weekly pts for your weekend dinners out, that is exactly what I do, this last saturday was pizza and wine, used every last pt and it was delicious and all ON PLAN, the best part Feel free to ask questions and jump right in to give and get encouragement, thats what we are here for!
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #7  

Hi everyone...just joined WW online yesterday. I used all of my points, wasn't hungry, and got 4 points for exercise. I would like to lose 30 pounds. It's nice to meet all of you! Good luck!

Cheryl
cinngirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote