Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #1  

Default Gaining on Points+

I am a longtime lurker. I was just curious if anyone has heard about people gaining on points+? I keep reading about huge loses, but I've been on it for about a week and have actually gained a couple of pounds (not TOM either).

I'm getting really frustrated and am tempted to just do Momentum on my own. I know it is only a couple of pounds, and I don't expect a miracle, I just keep reading about 3-6lb loses during the first week on P+.
nothingtastesasgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #2  

Were you eating tons of fruits and vegetables before you switched programs? I am only just researching and starting the program now, so I am not the authority, BUT, in my research, it seems that those who were choosing to eat healthier options with momentum are the ones gaining now that they feel they have to get 29 points of "the other stuff" in.

I am one who did the momentum program and forwent fruit in order to eat cake, so I am on who I think this new program will work well for.

At least I am hoping!

Dawn
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #3  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I am one of those people who ate pretty well on Momentum - I got in all my GHGs and ate plenty of veggies, fruit, whole grains, lean protein, etc. (On the flip side, I also ate my fair share of processed snacks)

I am not expecting a big loss this week. Since I enjoy eating fruit, I've always eaten and counted for it. Now that it's free, it's a matter of resisting the urge to overeat fruit.

I'm definitely not looking back, though. I know the first few weeks of any new plan will require some trial and error, and a week is not enough time to gauge how I will lose on this plan.

I do think the people who are seeing big losses are people who didn't really adhere to the GHGs and tenets of the Momentum plan, but that is pure conjecture on my part. I'll be curious to see what people at my meeting have to say and what results they had.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #4  
So Ready

LitChick, I don't necessarily agree that those with bigger losses weren't adhering to the guidelines before. I think what's great about this plan, and why I had a very big loss this week (relatively speaking, for me), is that Points Plus encourages you to choose healthier snacks and sides. It's finally a synthesis of the old Core program with Flex/Momentum that's totally workable and enjoyable. They've finally drilled the Power Food thing into everyone's heads with "free" foods and extra points.

Other than oils, which I rarely get in, I was adhering to the GHGs much of the time before, and will continue to do so. I always eat lean meats, veggies, whole grain bread and cereal. But, yes, I would reach for a 1 pt. bag of popcorn or a Vitatop over a 3 pt. banana if I was hungry and needed a snack. Not because I like popcorn or Vitatops more than bananas (I don't), but because the point system was a bit backward. Points Plus fixes that.

Maybe you're right, though. There are plenty of people complaining about having to eat fruits and vegetables. To me, it's a gift!
traceriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I gained one pound. I was one of the ones who made healthy choices in the first place. I ate about 3-6 points in fruit per day, which I still do, but since they are free now I have been eating more than before to hit my 29 points. This week I am going to count the fruit as points again and see if I hit a loss.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #6  

I have a question:

If you were to take your new points plus calculator and put in the data for a banana, how many points would the new calculator tally it to be?

I mean, if you lose better by counting it, I wonder if you could just count it on the new plan too.

In the past, I was on another program where I lost weight and I noticed that if I ate between 2 and 3 fruits per day, I didn't crave the sweets nearly as much, but if I went over 3 per day, I would slow down with weight loss.

SO, for me, I have pretty much decided that even though fruits are "free" 3 may be my max of FREE fruits per day. Over that they need to count for something.

Dawn
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #7  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

I do think we might find in a few weeks that some people have to start counting for fruit if they overdo it and find they don't lose weight. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/188/172

Height: 5"11

I have been on Points plus for a week and have lost about 6lbs.

I have found that when I make a food choice looking at the Carb count is a big factor. I have cut many carbs from my diet with this new program.

Fruit is something I will always watch since it is loaded with sugar.
wwlover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #9  

There is a point where you are overdoing it on fruit.

If you had posted a day's menu, we could help you more. To gain that much in 1 week I doubt it is just the plan. I ate very healthy before and I'm down 5.2 pounds this week.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #10  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Are you sure you're using the new plan correctly? Our leader said you absolutely should not combine plans. Old points values do not work with the new plan. She said she tried combining them and gained that week. But when she used the new plan she lost 8 pounds in two weeks and is considering readjusting her maintenance weight that she would like to stay at.

I guess I would ask Are you using all the new values? I've found instead of all fruit, i'm snacking on carrots and celery and that is working great for me. PLUS, I even got to have a banana before dinner tonight to fill me up before we went to dinner.... AWESOME! I've lost about 3 pounds since Saturday. Oh, the other thing she said was if you are full and satisfied at the end of the day, DO NOT eat more just to get to your daily Points+ total. Dunno what else to tell you, but i'm loving bulking up my meals with fruits and veggies and not having to count.

I wouldn't say to count it out after the first week, maybe give it another week to really see if you can work the plan. Like any new thing it takes time... with the amount of testing, time and research that has gone into this, I seriously doubt that they would change us to it if it didn't have a better success rate than Momentum.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote