Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 10:08 AM   #1  

Default Why did I gain?

Hi Guys,

I have a question, I sadly gained 1.5 lbs last night (well last week) and I am curious as to why. I have been on the program for 4 weeks and prior to this I ate terribly, chips, bars, chocolate, cheese...and I did not gain 1.5 a week ever I was pretty stable for a year or so. Then this week I likely ate a little more but of "regular" food. No chips, cheeses, bars or junk food passed my lips. I went over my journal, thought about if I ate extra stuff that I didn't record and I just don't see it. I really don't think I ate an extra 4500 calories above what I need to maintain my current weight which is 2600 calories a day. I am wondering if my metabolism has slowed so much already that anything extra was clung on to..

Help!

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-19-2002, 10:45 AM   #2  

Sarah,
Don't worry! It could be water weight, due to extra salt or your body just naturally holding on to some added fluid. It would also be caused by different clothing, if you wore heavier pants or long sleeves or something.
If there is really no reason why you should have gained weight, wait and see what happens next week- chances are that if you have a good week this week, you will lose it and more next time you weigh in!
I once gained 8lbs in one week- the lady weighing me almost fell over! Then, the next week I lost almost 10. The body does some weird things!!!
The important thing is for you to not panic, and keep on going!
I think it is good if you are working foods like chocolate and chips into your pts. You need to do the program in such a way that you can make it a lifetime commitment. If you cut out all the foods you love, you are just asking for trouble later on!
Good luck, and don't worry!
Tara
Old 12-19-2002, 08:27 PM   #3  

Thanks for the reply I wasnt'expecting to lose this week because I did go to a lot of work parties ect..but i ate half of what i was given and avoided desserts so I was dissapointed. I went home, had a cup of tea, a "grilled cheese" sandwitch (WW bread and low fat cheese) for supper and self-talked myself to get back on track mind wise. Thanks for the encouragement. HOpefully things will be better next week.

Funny your 8 pound gain, that must have really felt bad but intellectually it would be almost impossible to eat 8x 3500 extra calories in one week lol.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-29-2002, 03:56 PM   #4  

Hi....I know it is hard to not let the scale get you down, but try not to let it. I always had one big loss each month and the other weeks were either a maintain or a small gain. Go by how your clothes feel or taking measurements.

That scale can be a BIG fat liar!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 02:10 PM   #5  

You are SO right!

I have been on the program since Sept. 15. I gained three times....

two times I gained .8 and they were weeks when I did everything PERFECTLY! I was SO disappointed! But the weeks after that were always good. There will usually be one week out of the month (grrrrrr) that things are kind of screwed up anyway. I gained 1.2 this week...but I know why that is! All those darn Christmas cookies!

Don't feel let down. Usually, if you are following, the week after a gain is a great week! Let us know how you do next week!

CD
Old 01-02-2003, 09:50 AM   #6  

thanks guys, this makes me feel better. I was devestated when it happened.

New year, new start

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 01-02-2003, 08:19 PM   #7  

I guess I will add my two cents worth.....Im glad you got yourself back on track because you did nothing wrong.....if we do everything we know we should do...eventually the scales will show.

Just a bit of a warning though...make sure you are eating to the minimum of your points range...not doing so can and will make for a gain...YOur body needs the right amount of point/calories to fuel the metabolism to burn the fat....be sure you eat enough.

In the year I was on WW I gained 3 times.....a couple small gains and one 3.6 lb gain....even the leader asked me to step on the scale again....the next week I lost 5.2 so....as I said the scale will show...just dont give up...or get hard on yourself.

In one year I lost 96.2 lbs and have 5 more weeks of maintenance to go.
Closed Thread