Old 08-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #1  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Default Horrible Meeting Today

Good news first or bad news first? Let's be optimistic... good news first.

Good: I hit my 20lb mark! I lost 2.8 this week, so I've lost 20.6 on Weight Watchers so far. That felt good.

Now for the bad: I had to take my children with me to the meeting, because my husband had a training date with his friend. They ride their bikes 22 miles on Fridays because DH is training for a triathlon (which is a week from tomorrow). And I can't go to the mtg tomorrow morning because we are helping my sister move to a new house. So I had to go today. I took them to the donut shop beforehand and let them choose any donut they wanted (they all chose chocolate with sprinkles, go figure). I packed napkins and paper plates and lidded cups of milk for them. I figured that would buy me at least 10 minutes of quiet during the meeting.

Well... it was horrendous. They inhaled their donuts in about fourteen seconds. Actually, they nibbled the icing and announced they were "done." Then I went around the corner to the bathroom to get a napkin and my youngest (2) started bawling (loudly) because I was out of her sight for five seconds. Then they wanted to color, so I gave them notebooks and markers, but the oldest (six) and youngest were fighting over the markers. One threw them at the other, and the other threw them on the floor, knocking over her sippy cup and spilling milk all over the carpet. Of course they were being extremely loud this entire time and people kept having to ask the leader to repeat her questions because no one could hear. It felt like everyone was just staring at me and no one was offering to help me at all. I was trying to wipe up the milk and pack up our stuff so we could get the heck out of there, when the leader comes up to me and says, "You can go out in the lobby if you want, I'll talk loud enough so you can hear." Which obviously is her way of saying, "Get those screaming nasty kids the heck out of here so we can have our meeting!" I just said, "That's okay, we're leaving," all the while trying desperately not to burst into tears. I was totally humiliated. I got them into the van and buckled in, then I just broke into tears. I cried all the way home. I was so embarrassed about the mess we made and how loud they were, and so disappointed because, darn it, I WANTED THAT 5 LB STICKER AND SOME APPLAUSE! And I didn't get it.

I feel like I can't even go back there. I probably will... but at this point, I feel so horrible about it.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Oh dear. Don't let that keep you away from the next meeting, by that time everybody will have totally forgotten about it. Congrats on your weight loss and will it help if we applaude you here?

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Don't forget that you can go to ANY meeting during the week, and perhaps a better choice next time based on your "fun" experience would be to weigh in and leave. The leader can give you the 5lb sticker and applause at the next meeting you go to...

Hang in there!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #4  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey - all of us with children have all been there at some point or another. You did the right thing - packing up to get the heck outta there... however disappointing it may have been. There are a lot of moms that don't really care how loud their children are in those situations - and THAT is what is annoying - when they just let it go on and on without regard to the people around them, but you OBVIOUSLY CARE as witnessed by everything you were trying to do.. and I am willing to bet the rest of the people at the meeting saw that and will not look down on you. As I said, we have all been there, and I bet they have, too!

If it were me, I would probably consider just telling the group at the next meeting that you apologize for all the racket last time and that you appreciated their patience. I don't know how comfortable you would be doing that, but it would sure show the others that you KNOW it was not a good thing.

I bet the leader would do your sticker & applause at the next meeting! Don't worry about a thing.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #5  
video game junkie

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/150

Awwww, sounds like a horribly stressful day

Hope this helps

Lissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe next time you should give them benedryl so they'll fall asleep

JK!! lol

Sorry you had a bad meeting- maybe next time you could get a babysitter for just an hour so you can weigh in then go back home?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on doing so well! **APPLAUSE**

Your message touched me. I don't have children but I am extremely sensitive and I think I understand how you must have felt.

I am proud of you for doing so well! **HUGS**
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #8  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

Thanks everyone! I really needed some encouragement. It's such a low point.

My children are typically very well-behaved, so I guess it was a new experience for me to deal with that aspect of it, as well - I would have been upset no matter where we'd been, but in a place with no other children, it was really extra hard.

I will go back, but I have talked to my husband about it and he will always make sure I can go child-free! He will be working Fri mornings soon (He's a professor) but he will be able to take the kids on Thurs mornings so I can go to a meeting at that time. I actually prefer the Thurs meeting because the Fri. one is mostly people who work full time (it's at 7:30 a.m. instead of 8 or 10) and I just don't have as much in common with that group.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #9  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 245/221.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Smile

HoosierHeather - HotWings is right, I think that many of us with kids (or even grandkids, nieces & nephews!) has been in that situation at one time or another. Maybe even more than once!! I am sure that it bothered you much, much more than it did everyone else. I know that I am really sensitive about making sure that my kids don't bother others in a restaurant, church, the grocery store etc....., and it really stresses me out sometime, so I do understand how you must have felt.

Congrats on the 20 lb mark! !! That is awesome!

They will love to celebrate it with you at your next meeting, I'm sure.

Have a great week!
Ragsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #10  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

Thank you ragszy. I just noticed our SW and Goals are the same!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #11  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 245/221.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Hey, I noticed that too! I also noticed that your ticker says that you have now hit the 25lb mark already!?? Will that be 2 five pound stickers at your meeting this week?!? Yay!

Last edited by Ragsy; 08-12-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Ragsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #12  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

I've hit 26lbs total for myself, but I lost 6lb before I started WW. So my all time high weight was 240, but my starting weight on WW was 234. So when I hit 31lbs lost total I will get the keychain.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #13  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

HoosierHeather as a grandma of three and mother of 4, I have been there so many times. You dealt with the situation as any caring mom would do and if there are some in the group that cant get past it it is there problem....now
give yourself a huge pat on the back......and if you can't get a sticker the next meeting have those beautiflul gifts that you call children make you one!
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote