Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

Default Newbie Contemplating Weight Watchers

Okay, so this may sound really wierd, but the WW meetings here in little ole Natchitoches sound scary to me. I guess it's like the first day of school , when you're the new kid, or it's a new place, and you're all scared about it.

I am just trying to figure out whether or not the Online or actual in-person meetings would be better for me.

Here's a little tidbit of info about me...

I'm a 21 year old college student in my last year of my Bachelor's Program. I'm currently in Wedding-Planning Mode, while also taking 21 hours of classes this semester. Which, luckily for me, most are independant study and/or internet classes.

My fiance' is also going to start his weight loss journey as well. He has a totally different approach though, where pretty much he just eats whatever I prepare and portion for him. So, although we're in the same boat, we're in different areas. I have health-related issues that don't allow me to push as hard with certain things, and I don't think he totally understands that.

Okay, so I know it seems like I'm blabbering, but I'm running on 5 hours of sleep since I had surgery on Tuesday morning for Endometriosis. So, here is my point....

I just want to know if WW is really something that I should look into. And I need to find a WW buddy to keep tabs on me once I get started. I think that would help out a lot.
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #2  

Hi,
I'm Carolyn and I am very new to the site and don't post often. However, I can attest to WW myself. I have had wonderful results in the past and am having great results now.
In 1999 I joined WW with a buddy. I lost 70 pounds in 6 months and it was awesome. Then I blew it and so am now (10 years later) going at it again. So far I have lost 19 pounds since Dec 21 2008. I'm 46 years old.
As far as I'm concerned WW is the bomb and the easiest plan to work and stick with. It works!!!!!!!
I attended the meetings in 1999 for a while and they really helped. Now I pretty much wing it using the point system and going on-line for help from sites like this one and the WW sites that I find.
The thing that I finally realized is that you can't say "I'm on a diet". That infers that there is an end to it and that one day after you have lost the weight you want to that you can go back to eating the same way you did before and all will be well. It doesn't work that way. As I can attest to. I lost the 70 pounds and then in the years that followed regained about 45 of it simply because I got off the program.
Now don't let the life time commitment scare you. WW really does work and it allows you plenty of freedom so that you can stay on task and not go back to eating in the wrong way.
I view it as re-learning to eat a good, nutritious, balanced, healthy diet.
I hope this helps some and good luck on your journey.
Once you really get into it it's not hard at all and don't let the meetings scare you. The people there are there for the same reason you are.
Many Blessings.
Carolyn
onefatgalinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Hi,

WW is a great plan, it is more a lifestyle change than anything else. The best part of the program is nothing is off limits. You can eat everything in moderation. As far as the meetings go I too was scared of the meetings I always said I am not a meetings type of girl but the truth is, is that putting yourself in a group of people in the same boat as you is very empowering. think of it as a weekly reminder that you are not alone. I am by far not a very outgoing person i a room full of people, but here I am ready to make lifetime on Sunday (if all goes well ) and they can't keep me quite in the meetings see now I can share everything I learned with those that came before me.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have had awesome results with WW

When I first started I only did online for about a month (I pay for the monthly pass and it includes etools) before getting enough courage to go back to meetings. I'm a very outgoing person too but it was a little intimidating at first with not knowing what to expect. A lot of people find it hard to go but I promise you'll be glad you did! Between meetings keeping you accountable and the people here you'll have plenty of support

I hope your recovery from surgery goes well!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 226.2/184.4/145

Definitely at least try it! Just take a look at the boards - so many of us are successful on the program. In terms of support, this is a great board to come to. I also go to the WW board. And there are a ton of websites that can help identify points values.

You said that your BF is trying to lose as well. Does he want to try WW?
frazali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

Thanks a lot for the information ladies, it is greatly appreciated!! I am DEFINATELY going to the meeting on Monday, I just wish it were sooner so I could get started! But, recovery from the surgery has had a few hiccups, so I've been living off my grandma's seafood gumbo all week. My fiance's aunt and uncle started WW in Nov, and between Thanksgiving and Christmas, they lost a MASSIVE amount of weight and look fabulous!!

Carolyn: Thanks so much for your motivation! I am extremely excited! I hope I can find a great buddy there at the meeting that can give me a kick in the butt when I need one.

Frazali: I spoke to my Fiance' about it a few moments ago, and he is totally against it. He is totally supportive of me doing WW, but doesn't think it will be effective for him. Little does he remember that I fix his lunch for work, cook his breakfast, and his dinner. So even though he may not be committed to counting points, he will definately be eating healthier!

And again, ladies, thanks so much for the encouragement!! We went and enrolled in our gym today, but I was bummed that I couldn't go work out today. I have to wait until at least Monday before I can even do cardio again. Maybe I should relish in the fact that I am on orders not to work out now? lol...
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

My husband is the same way.. he eats what I prepare him, otherwise, he doesn't eat LOL.. I try to make sure he's eating healthier. I have to say he is eating more veggies and I'm slowly increasing his fiber intake.. it's hard because his body can't take large amounts of fiber at once, he gets wretched pain and gas for hours afterwards.. so he just needs to build up tolerance...
Just keep up the good work! You'll get there. I always suggest trying a meeting or 2 that way you'll know whether you need them or not. Not everyone does, but some people do. We just don't have the money.

When is your wedding date? We were married Aug of '07... I can't believe its almost 2 years!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote