Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default "Lose for Good"

So, what does everyone think of Weight Watchers' "Lose for Good" campaign?

I am not sure if this is just for meetings folks, or if the online people get their losses counted as well. We just learned about it in our meeting this week, and logging in to eTools I don't see anything about it... But maybe I'm missing it there. There was mention of it in the letter from the WW president in the last magazine, too. I am pretty sure it's meetings-only, though, so that there can be some way to making sure people are honest about the weight they lose (I mean, if it was for a good cause, I'd fudge the numbers if I had the chance!).

Anyhow, basically Weight Watchers is going to be donating a pound of food to charity (two charities are selected, one for combating national hunger, the other for combating international hunger) for every pound lost by its members over a 6-week period, the value of which is not to exceed one million dollars.

What do you think? I have mixed feelings about it - I think it's a great gesture on WW's part, but I also think that there are people out actively engaged in losing weight who don't need what can be perceived as "pressure" or "guilt." (I got the guilt trip vibe at my meeting, when the leader said "next time you are faced with an excess of food, think of those who are less fortunate." Hmmm.) I may be over thinking it though, which is why I am curious as to what you guys think.

What I like better is that it has encouraged our local center to start its own food drive to help people in our area. The leader brought in an amount of non perishable food equivalent to what she has lost on WW - which was neat to see laid out on a table! I am definitely going to bring in food at the end of the six weeks for that.

I am interested in your thoughts! Is this a good thing? Or one more reason people will stress out about losing weight? Should WW just go ahead and donate without the potential for guilting its members? Is your local center doing anything special in conjunction? Would you join meetings for six weeks if it meant you could be a part of this campaign?

Last edited by suitejudyblueeyes; 09-06-2008 at 10:35 AM.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Thanks for posting this, Suite!

I'm a huge fan of this idea. Yes, it's true, they could donate the food regardless of how much the members lose, but I feel that this is just a way to make everyone feel charitable and to feel good about losing weight.

I see that what your leader said may seem like a "And you'll get coal in your stocking" sort of comment, but when my leader said similar, I felt it was motivating. I'm often preoccupied with world hunger, so it may be something that makes me pause, just for a second, before choosing something I know I will regret. Just a thought. That's all. I don't feel as though I'm truly depriving anyone if I eat that extra piece of whatever. (Except myself..ooooh deep )

I'm in complete agreement that my favorite part of this plan is encouraging everyone to bring in food for the local food drive. I love it. I plan to bring something every week. And then at the end whatever weight I've lost during these weeks I'll bring in that many items (rounded up, of course).

I think that they sent certain ideas out to leaders, because my leader is also donating the equivalent of what she's lost, as well.

So, I give it a thumbs up!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #3  

It's available for the on-line members too
I kind of like the idea -- reminds me how fortunate I am to have food available to me in the first place.

"Valid in participating areas. Weight Watchers will donate the cost of a pound of food for each pound lost during campaign period. Pounds lost by Members will be determined by average weight lost per meeting attendance during campaign period multiplied by total number of attendances during campaign period. Pounds lost by Online Subscribers will be determined by total weight loss recorded in the Weight Tracker during campaign period. Weight losses are subject to our healthy weight loss guidelines. Cost of food will be calculated by each participating charity. Donations will be made 70% to Share our Strength up to $700,000 and 30% to Action Against Hunger up to $300,000."

Last edited by shelby897; 09-06-2008 at 02:49 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Oh good, thanks for clearing that up Shelby! I am glad it is available to the online subscribers too.

I am also happy to see that they let the charities determine the value of food - you know they are going to maximize what they can get out of every dollar donated. (Meaning they will most likely squeeze more food out of a million dollars than you or I could at a grocery store.)
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it's great, and I don't think it's really all that guiltable - I mean if I can't lose weight I can still donate as much as I want (in dollars or pounds of food, or in volunteer hours) to a food bank or other charity.

It's not as if some kid is going to starve "because" I didn't lose ten pounds.

Not that dieting mentality can't get you into a guilt mode when you shouldn't be, but that's one of the things I think we need to overcome. We're only responsible for what we're responsible for. If you spend to much time in guilt, it doesn't help you change, it just makes you feel bad for the sake of feeling bad.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #6  

Weigh in today -- I "donated" 3 lbs of food!!! How is everyone else doing??
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote