Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #1  

Wink Kinda personal....but I have to know....

Good morning!
I have a question for those of you that have lost a lot of weight... its kinda personal...
I am so afraid that after I lose all my weight (about 100 lbs ultimately) I am going to have this "empty sack" skin. I have to tell ya... when I envision myself thin... it is not thin with hanging skin!
So advise? Personal experience...
Thanks guys!

Tracie
Justcallmetracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi Sandpoint, Idaho,

I am from Boise, Idaho. My mom had a gastric bypass and has lost about 170 pounds. She has a lot of sagging skin and thought about getting it surgically removed but then decided she is too old and doesn't really care. She's funny. Anyways, I bet if you did some form of exercise every day and started strength training, you won't have the problem she does. I watch the show Workout and she always talks about not doing sit-ups or crunchies until you have lost a majority of the weight because all it does is build muscle under fat.

I have gone from 201 pounds to about 154 in a year. I didn't really try to start losing the weight though until April 7, 2008, when I started WW. I walk briskly every night for about an hour and do a workout DVD called Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred. I feel great. I only notice stretch marks around my stomach now. I had a baby a year ago and had a significant weight gain. Explain a 50 pound weight gain for a 4 pound baby! I am a smaller size than I was when I was 145 pounds. Maybe you didn't want the whole story, but I figure everyone's experience with their weight loss helps.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #3  

Thanks MamaSpank! I do appreciate the whole story! I was doing the Jillian Michaels DVDs daily. (Alternating The front strength training, the back side, then the kick boxing aerobics on Wednesdays.) I felt strong and able and I really felt muscles developing for me. Right after I missed the first day, I just jumped ship. I hate that I can not get myself motivated in the morning to do it! But it does inspire me to read of others success!
So the difference is the excercise!
Thank you!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 208/197.6/140

Height: 5'2

Ive been wanting to know the same thing. LOL. Im hoping that in the end I can lose about 70-80 pounds. And my stomach right now has some sag, but thats due to giving birth to 2 children in 2 1/2 years, last one being born Jan 22.
I have this fear that Im going to lose the weight and look worse then I did being big. EH
mrsseabeewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #5  

I agree with everyone here. Drink tons of water, get lots of exercise, eat good food and keep your skin hydrated - inside and out. I use some regular creams faithfully - nothing fancy and so far so good. I lost 130 lbs on WW in just about 11 months (my 1 yr anniversay is August 2) and so far so good At some point I may even post pics (though not likely on the internet) but maybe through WW. It is really important to eat healthy foods -your body needs all the nutrition you can give it and I think the water is SO key to your skin - everywhere! Oh yeah, I will be 47 in Oct Keep up the good work and never give up - time goes by too fast and don't waste a minute!

Last edited by Patty575; 07-17-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Patty575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #6  

Patty575 - I for one would LOVE to see your pics! You inspired me today And I enjoy eating healthy foods.. infact my cholesterol is great! I am trying to get my water up to where it needs to be!
Mrss. - I am also glad that I am not the ONLY one with this fear! lol! I have had FIVE (biggest 10.5lbs) babies and frankly my belly is one huge deflated sack... (nice visual eh?) but I want to know that if I kick butt and get there... I mean WHEN I kick butt and get there, I am not just as miserable... wearing clothes three sizes bigger to fit my empty skin into! (you all have read those stories in magazines!)
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

It's something I've wondered about, too, as I still have 70+ lbs to go to get to where I'd love to be.

Dh's sister had a very large gain when she was expecting her son. He ended up being a teeny thing, around 5 lbs. FiL basically challenged her by saying she'd never lose the weight (nice, right? Love him, but there are some things he says/does that I DON'T love). Well, she decided to prove him wrong (just what he was hoping for) and she worked her butt off, literally. She was hardly eating anything at all. A couple yogurts during the day and a small plate of dinner. She exercised a LOT every day, and lost the weight super-fast. Because of the rapid loss, she did have a lot of loose skin left and she had a tummy tuck last late spring/early summer. But then she started gaining weight back. Not to where she was, but she did gain.

I really think a lot comes from the rapid loss. I think if it's a more gradual, sensible loss, all the loose skin is less likely to be there. Wow, I mean, Patty here has lost 130 lbs and it's "so far, so good." That's awesome, and such a comfort to those of us who would rather NOT have a tummy tuck to worry about!!

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #8  

I think a lot of it is about consistency as well - starting and stopping - gaining and losing doesn't do the body any good. Though I have had great success, it breaks down to 2.50-2.70 a week over 11 months time and and that isn't much more than the supposed "average". I think you lose the elasticity in your skin when you yo-yo and keep yo-yoing!

Last edited by Patty575; 07-20-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Patty575 is offline   Reply With Quote