Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Default Questions about WW...

Hello, all,

I have been considering joining or at least following Weight Watchers (points plan) for some time now. My MiL is a lifetime member, though she's gained weight back. My sister is following it using materials that were given to her as a gift by her sister-in-law. My sister has now lost about 20 lbs on it in just a few months, where I'm still struggling to maintain the 10 lb loss I have had over the past YEAR of trying one plan/diet or another, never sticking to any of them long enough to get below a certain weight. My sister has struggled with her weight longer than I have, and prior to this, only Jenny Craig worked for her but is just too expensive with the food. My issues came on after my first child was born 12 years ago, whereas she's had issues since puberty. She's an inspiration to me. With four kids, a husband and a part-time job taking care of OTHER people's kids, she has managed to do this. She basically says the points thing is easy as pie, and I know my MiL loves it, too.

I have so many questions, though. Like, if you join, how long do you have to be going to meetings before you can leave and keep your materials? I saw the link to the Weight Watchers at-home materials, but they're a little on the pricey side. I'd like to get the materials, get the general idea of things, and then leave, because I just cannot afford the $56/month it would cost me ($14/week) to go for weigh-ins. But I could either buy the at-home materials on a budget pay, or join up for a short time, and be okay.

Also, when you go to the meetings, do you have to weigh in? My MiL goes to the meetings but only weighs in about once every month or two. She's able to attend the meetings and not pay. Is this because she is a lifetime member, or is this a standard thing? Get the info at the meetings for free, but not have to pay to weigh-in?

Another question is what about pregnant members? My husband & I are always open to more children and would love more. There's an inkling of a chance that I could be pregnant right now, but I have to wait until the end of the week to try. Is there a guideline for pregnant moms? I know one shouldn't be dieting while pregnant, but better food choices can be made to cut down on how much is gained during pregnancy. I'm pretty significantly overweight right now. If I am pregnant, or get pregnant before I've lost a lot of weight, it will be better for me to not gain too much.

Hmmm...I wish I could think of what other questions I had. Those were biggies. I wonder if there is a number to call if no one can answer me here. Big things for me are:

-I am interested in joining, mostly for the materials. Right now registration is free in at least our region, which means my first meeting could be just $15 rather than $40.
-If I do join for that, are the materials included in the registration? Or are they paid for as you go to more meetings? How long would I have to go to meetings before I could stop...or could at least cut down on them, like down to once a month or two, rather than every week.
-Do you have to pay for meetings? Or is it just to weigh in? Is my MiL's ability to go for free and only pay when she weighs in due to her being a lifetime member, or is that how it goes for everyone?
-Finally, is there a plan there for pregnant women?

Thanks!
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #2  

Height: 5'10"

Jet- The materials that you get when you first start are your: point finder, food journals, and some brochure things. I think that's about it. you have to purchase the dining out companion ( has point values for restaurant foods) and the other one with just general foods. You get the stuff the first meeting. There are 2 different payment plans (at least that's what it was a few years ago). The one plan you pay less but you have to pay for every week whether you come or not. The other one is a bit more but you only pay for when you go and I think you only have to go once or twice a month. But pretty much you have to "pay to weigh."
That is all I can remember from when I went a few years back. I love the program and the meetings do help, but it is possible to be successful on your own. Especiallly with a great support group like 3FC! Have you thought about checking out Ebay or Amazon for the materials? You could do that, but you get the point finder and stuff at your first meeting so technically you could just go once and have that. I dont' know what else you're wanting to get from them - as far as materials and things go.
jewelrymaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there LuvmyFam!

I hope I can answer some of your questions.

First things first. All the materials that you need are given out at your first meeting, both before, during and after the meeting. You would only really have to attend one to get the materials. There are more materials given out at following meetings, but you don't necessarily need them. I believe it goes on for 9 weeks. So if you really wanted all the little booklet things you'd have to stay for 9 weeks. You can also buy some books and other things that might help you out. You must weigh-in on your first meeting. Your leader will ask you to stay after for about 15 minutes in order to explain the plan and answer any plan questions you have.

You don't have to go to meetings if you don't want. Many people do WW on their own, but I'm a meeting-goer. I do highly recommend it if you can afford it. I actually pay $40 a month, because I use the monthly pass. The meetings, the group, the other members are an incredible resource.

If you go to meetings, here's what happens. You enter. You weigh-in & pay at the desks. You can then either leave or stay for the meeting. You don't HAVE to weigh-in if you use one of the "no weigh in" passes, but I think you only get a few of those. Even if you don't weigh in, you must pay.

Your Mother In Law was able to go for free because she's a Lifetime member. To remain a Lifetime member she must weigh-in once a month. However, there are rules to being a lifetime member. If she weighs-in more than 2 lbs above her WW goal weight, she must start paying for meetings again, though it's at a reduced rate for those who have Lifetime status.

There is not a plan for pregnant women. There's a plan for Nursing Moms, though. Being that it's dangerous to be on a "diet" for pregnant women, you can't be a part of WW. You can continue to watch what you eat in that you can make healthier food choices. But it's best to let the weight gain happen as it happens (with doctor approval of course!).

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

If you decide not to go to meetings, you, your sister & MIL can most certainly support eachother. Not to mention 3FC is a very active community of supporters for people on all kinds of healthy programs
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #5  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

i can't answer your questions about meetings cuz i do WW at home. but i can tell you how i got started on my tight budget.

first of all, a friend let me borrow her meeting pamphlets (i know that's a no no) to get the basic info i needed. but then i joined the website when there was a 1 week free trial. i did not buy the whole at-home-kit offered on the website because of price. instead i bought the food companions with all the points listed, a points calculator, a food scale, and a couple journals. then i read all about the plan on the website, getting as much info as possible during my free week, then i canceled it.

a few months later i did end up paying the monthly fee to join the website because i needed some extra help/motivation/resources. but you could get away without doing it if you can't afford it. especially since you have family who are on the plan and can help you. and 3FC is a great support system too!

welcome and good luck!
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #6  
Fat-n-Flab to Fit-n-Fab

S/C/G: 205/181/145

Height: 5'4"

Another alternative for getting the materials is using eBay. I bought materials there before and they were brand new. You'll save some money that way...
fatnflab2fitnfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Thanks for your help, ladies.

I ended up going to the first meeting last week. In our area the registration fee is being waived for right now, so it was just the $15 first meeting fee. I'm not sure I'll continue with the meetings, except for this week to see if our new scale is closer to theirs.

I got the basic materials, but dh still thinks it would be great to get the at-home kit. I'd like the mag. subscription, cookbook, dining out guide, food companion, calculator, etc. I'll peruse ebay before ordering it, though, just to see if I can get it there somewhere for less.

I appreciate your help!

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote