Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default What do others think of you being on Weight Watchers?

I've been on WW for three months. I usually tell people I'm watching what I eat before I felt comfortable with WW. Since I just hit my fourth month mark and really figuring it out, I'm settling in. Today I was telling someone who was asking about my weight loss. "Oh, I do weight watchers."

He just nonchalantly said, "Oh, so you don't eat?" On the contrary, I eat. I love what I eat and what not. I have heaping plates of veggies when I want and if I plan my day, have other, not so healthy things. I guess that reaction is why I've never told anyone otherwise.

So, do you ever get these reactions?

Last edited by Daimere; 11-28-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

i did weight watchers a few years ago. I lost over 100 pounds on it (gained most of it back when i stopped going) but I was talking to someone about weight loss and it came up that i was on WW and she said, "oh, i didnt know that is how you lost weight. I thought you had gastric bypass". I just stood there stunned. I didnt know whether to be offended or take it as a compliment. It is crazy what people think of weight loss. LIke that guy that said to you, "so you dont eat"...ignorance is bliss i guess.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #3  

That is REALLY curious. I think WW does portion control, encourages people to make wise choices in their food selections, plan and "move" more than they did previously. In many ways, it is not much different than most healthy weight loss programs. I just think that WW gives you a TON of support and they have a really good system overall. Bottom line...portion is portion. I have never gotten this reaction...although some people have told me they would have difficulty going to "meetings." Ironically, I have two neighbors who have been saying that for years. They have had some success with doing low carb plans. Both have had more unsuccess with them really. They will lose a lot and then gain a lot and do this rapidly and often. They are also miserable. I have lost a lot and kept it off. AND I was satisfied the entire time. It wasn't always easy and it came off slowly for me (for others in my class it was faster), but the work really paid off. I tell people that I really like the program and that nothing else worked like this for me. IMHO, people who make negative comments either:
1) Do not know the program. They are uninformed OR
2) Are jealous.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

Well, I mentioned it once a few months back and someone mentioned, "I would love to do WW but it's so expensive." I don't go to the meetings and the stuff was given to me. So, I was like "huh?"
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #5  
Maintaining for 3+ years!

S/C/G: 180/157/148

My favorite is when people say, "Are you allowed to have that?" like I ASKED them to be my coach or something. They're almost always more in need than I am, too.

btw I lost 30 lbs. 5 years ago, have kept it off by attending my meeting EVERY week since then. It's my chance to regroup and refocus. I'm so lucky to have a fabulous leader that I don't mind getting up for our 7:30 am Saturday meeting.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #6  

I too find it "interesting" that some folks say it is expensive. These are often the folks who need to lose in a major way. Personally, I think it is great deal. They could save that amount of money in food that they shouldn't be buying/eating in the first place...never mind health problems down the road (going to the doctor and pills will be a lot more).
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I just started weight watchers, and after years of "fad" diets or "fake" foods, I have finally found something I know I can do. Real food, lots of support and no starving. I can even eat out!
I am proud to tell people that I am on weight watchers
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

For me, Weight Watchers is sort of expensive, but it's worth it. It is possible to lose weight for free, and I know exactly how because I've done it. At this point in my life though, I'm having trouble translating my knowledge into behavior. Knowing I'm spending the money each week is part of why I'm succeeding.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

The more I do this, the more I figure out what I can't have and what I can. I use to skip all the snacks at work but I found depending on what I eat throughout the day, I could make it work. I wonder how many people at work who know I'm loosing the weight, think, "she shouldn't be eating that." I'm glad though I have no one in my life going, "You shouldn't eat that." It'd make things so frustrating!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

In my experience, comments about expense, complication, restrictions, etc. are just excuses people tell themselves for why they don't do something about their own health. I've been there... it's only too easy to tell yourself that dieting is too difficult and is best started tomorrow (after a nice, reassuring pan of brownies)!

I don't tell people I'm dieting, which I realize violates the rule about enlisting the support of others. I have 3FC for that.

I got sick of having to justify my decision, especially to people who weigh more than I do... "No, darlin'. Being thinner than you does not magically mean I'm a size 0. I'm not judging you. In fact- and this may come as a big shock- this is not about you. It's about the fact that I think a portion of cookies is equal to the whole package."
Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
I use to skip all the snacks at work but I found depending on what I eat throughout the day, I could make it work. I wonder how many people at work who know I'm losing the weight, think, "she shouldn't be eating that."
For some reason, this reminded me of something. The first time I lost a lot of weight, a secretary in my department asked how I was doing it. I had just popped a piece of chocolate from the jar on her desk in my mouth, when I said "by eating chocolate" and laughed. The truth was though, that was the key. I was following the 90/10 plan at the time, by Joy Bauer (similar to Weight Watchers in many ways, IMO), and it allowed for 250 calories a day of any "fun food" of your choice. So since I didn't feel deprived, it worked for me!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/183/145

Height: 5'6"

My husband is my #1 support. I just started this week, so I think he's kinda shocked to see that I'm actually EATING. We've gone out to Pizza hut, Subway and KFC this week and I still lost weight.
I work at a store and whenever I buy something for lunch I think the lady is wondering "aren't you on a diet?"...but she doesn't say anything. I'm just happy that I can eat things I like and still lose weight. I know that is what's going to keep me motivated...along with looking great.
I think I'll tell more people how I'm loosing weight when it's more obvious.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I hate that "Can you have that?" question. Yes I CAN. I am physically capable of eating it, and enjoying it and working into my daily plan if you'd stop asking about it.

The only person I allow to ask me those sorts of questions is my fiance. And he actually says "Do you want that?". And most of the time I do But a few times I've thought about it and said "No, actually... I don't."

I don't really tell others who aren't my friends or family about my healthy eating changes. I figure my slim & healthy new bod will be enough. I don't know how I'd deal with all the doubtful looks or the "good for yous" (in that condescending tone.... grrr.) so I just don't! If someone asks, I'd tell them, and let them doubt if they want to, but I know WW works for me.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #14  

I think I must be pretty lucky, because half the people I work with are on WW or are trying to be. My officemate is the "candy lady" so I see a lot of them sneaking in for candy, so I know they would never say anything to me about eating something I shouldn't.

My husband is supportive too. He likes to eat, and for the longest time we've had a tradition of having a big breakfast on Sat and/or Sunday. So he occasionally still makes a big breakfast and I can't resist the smell of homemade pancakes wafting through the air, and that pretty much makes it hard to stay in my points value for the day. But other than that, he's cool with me picking the restaurant when we eat out. I usually go with places where it's easy to calculate the points values.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #15  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I've seen the "looks" and gotten the "stay out of there" when I'm looking in the snack machine at work. I don't like that, but I just laugh. I'm allowed to look! They have started to put 100 calorie packs and healthier choices in the machines, but for some reason, I just like to look sometimes at what's in there.

Now that I've lost a couple sizes I don't get as many comments (I should say that I've worked at the same place for 23 years, so I know ALOT of people and they've seen me bigger and smaller)

It's funny how people are well meaning but say things that sting you. I try to reframe my thinking, and see if it's what they are saying or my reaction to what they are saying that makes it sting.

Anyhow, I'm still checking out the snack machine and sometimes I buy something even if I don't eat it, just because it makes me feel better that I can
Closed Thread