Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #1  

Default Newbie intro (waving!)

Hello! I'm one of those who's started and dropped out of WW dozens of times over the years. I went back to meetings this morning, mostly because they have accurate scales I've gained 12 pounds since minor surgery in August. I'd been gaining 5-6 pounds a year, which is bad enough, but this scared me. I've been declared by doctors "remarkably healthy considering your weight" and would like to keep it that way.

I'm 56, live alone, and am a high school history teacher. No family temptations, but it's all too easy to exist on sandwiches and snacks. I thought of Constant Snacker as a user name, but wanted something more positive .....

My goal this week is simply to stick to points (more vegetables will follow in due course). Made it through one day -- I usually cave by 4:00 -- so I thought I'd post. I've posted here before, actually, but wanted a fresh start -- haven't been here in awhile. I read 3FC regularly, though, and it's a wonderful place. I look forwards to meeting all of you!

Anyway, glad to meet all of you!
Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #2  

Trinks6, congratulations on starting the road to a new you! It's a very long road to travel, but I'm glad you are starting off on the right foot by re-joining Weight Watchers. I am also pleased that you, as a teacher, will begin to set the example of good health.
If I were living alone, I would firstly banish all the improper foods from the house. Pack up everything that isn't good or is a huge temptation and donate it to a food pantry! I can't do that as I have others in my house and I can't force my eating habits upon them.
I would then begin by making up a menu for the upcoming week and doing some grocery shopping.
If I lived alone, I would also make larger recipes and then freeze individual portions. I might also consider the WW Core plan.
I can't do CORE as easily as I have two people living in my house that refuse to eat the whole grain foods I need to eat on CORE. It becomes a problem for me as I end up cooking two separate meals.
So, best wishes to you and good luck!
Linda
Old 10-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #3  

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'm out of the habit of cooking, so the "cook and freeze" plan won't work for me -- yet. But it's a goal, definitely. I did toss everything that was a temptation before I started. CORE isn't for me, I'm afraid. I'm aiming for whole food and healthy. I don't like CORE's focus on NO fat (the nonfat foods are, to me, as bad as the other fake foods). I try to ignore the artificially sweetened foods as much as possible, as well. If I could get back to eating the way I did when I was 10 (before fake foods took over the market), I'd be fine!!!!

Again, thanks!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #4  

Hi trinks6
Congrats for rejoining WW. I did the same and am now on my 9th week. I also live alone so I hear what you are saying. You are obviously very sincere in making every effort to get the weight off and all I can tell you is that it does get easier week after week. Like you if any food is a 'red light' for me I just don't bring it in...temptation is too great. I hope you have found a great leader at your meetings and just attending them along with this web site is a great support. I am doing Flex as well...just a little afraid of going to Core but maybe down the road it may be an option. Right now as long as the weight comes off steadily I love having the control.
You have finished day one and tomorrow is another new day and you will have another great day. If at any time you should stumble don't beat yourself up, we have all been there just get back on track.
Keep in touch and good luck in your journey! One day at a time!!
Joyce
Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #5  

Thank you very much, Joyce. Two days down now! It's so odd. This time it was so easy to start. The past few times I haven't made it past midafternoon before being hit by a huge munchies attack.

Good for you for sticking to it for 9 weeks! I think if you've gone that far, you will make it.
Closed Thread