Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #1  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

Default Thinking of giving up

I hate to say "quitting" but I honestly don't know what else to do. I feel like I've been quitting for months now. A year ago, I was only ten pounds different than I am now. I know what I'm doing wrong but I cannot seem to get myself on track. I have come so far and I don't have that much more to lose but I don't know how to get my head right. NOTHING is motivating me-not my stats, not old pictures, not even my health. How do I stop sabotaging myself?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #2  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

The first thing that comes to mind is NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! You deserve to achieve your goals and you can do it! We all find ourselves in ruts sometimes, and it's not always easy finding ways to get back on track, be that the one we were on or a new one if this one wasn't working - but we've got to do it because in the end, isn't that what we/you/me want most in terms of our weight and weight related goals?

I realized after I wrote that, that I wasn't sure what it is that you want to quit and why?

You've already lost 55 pounds though.. that is absolutely amazing. AMAZING!

Perhaps it may be helpful to consider how and why you're sabotaging yourself, what you're getting out of not losing weight and staying at your current weight? What sort of benefit or comfort does it bring you? Perhaps that's where you will find the answer to your question. And if not, then please keep searching and hang in there - you deserve to reach your goal weight and your other goals. It would be terribly sad if you quit now, or ever, because in addition to deserving to reach your goals, you CAN. And doesn't that seem like something too incredible to pass up in your life?

YOU CAN DO IT !!! And always remember how great, capable, and deserving you are!!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #3  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Great post by beautifulone. I wonder if my experience can help you.

You know, i feel like I've been gaining and losing the same 30 pounds for 15 years now. But of course it isn't really about the 30 pounds. It is about how I deal with stress. And only in the past 6 months or so have I finally found the equilibrium and maturity to live with feelings I don't like and not stuff them down with food. I can observe them, watch them pass, know that they're temporary. If you are a religious type, it's a kind of surrendering to God. Does any of that make any sense?

If you can look at your emotions and the thoughts related to them ... that is where the key is to be found. You say you've been sabotaging yourself ... well, there is a reason why. Maybe try posting to tell us more about what's going on in your life other than weight loss efforts ... could that help?

hoping to strike a chord,
Erika
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #4  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Never give up, never give in! I had given up before I joined WW almost 3 weeks ago. I talked the talk about losing weight, wanting to, trying to etc but I never backed up the talk. Then I sat down in my doctors office and got the poo scared out of me. He layed it on the line. I won't go into details (there are far too many) but let's just say that after several surgeries that could have been prevented with weight loss I was yet again facing another health problem (to add to a list as long as my arm). The difference being if I didn't do something to change my life now I wouldn't make it another 10 years. I wouldn't see my 3 kids grow up, I wouldn't grow old with my husband, I wouldn't get a chance to make the rest of my dreams come true because I was giving up on all of those things by not taking control of my food instead of letting my food control me. I don't know if you have kids or a husband but I'm sure you have dreams. You have come too far to let youself and those who care about you down by giving up. Am I motivated... I don't know if you'd call it that. I know everytime I look at my kids that I'm doing the right thing but that doesn't mean that I don't think about my trigger food at least 10 times a day and I have to stop myself from saying just forget it at least once a day. I don't exercise like should but I am moving more.

If you can't find the motivation then find the determination. Make a small change...push yourself for 15 min of walking or biking or something. YOU HAVE COME SO FAR AND ARE AN INSPIRATION TO SOMEONE LIKE ME...someone just starting this road. Get rid of the negative thoughts. You haven't quit or you wouldn't be trying to get back on track. I don't know if anything I've said has helped but I hope it has at least in some small way. You can do this!!!

Last edited by timmyshawn; 08-28-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'3"

Hey Princess, congrats on your weight loss so far.
I think when you feel like giving up, it may be better to just make small lifestyle changes and live with that. I know for me, I don't feel motivated but I make sure I drink my water each day, eat my 5 vegetable/fruits, my 2 dairy and 2 fats. I have not gained any weight doing this. I am hoping somehow I become more motivated.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #6  
banned

you cant give up!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:04 PM   #7  
Mrs. S.

Default You Can Do It!

You're able to do this--55 pounds so far! We understand because it's not easy for any of us!! When I joined WW the second time, I knew that things had to be different for me and that I couldn't go on in the same way anymore. I realize that I've totally changed my mindset when I visit a mall food court. When I see people eating huge helpings of junk food I just cringe...in previous years I probably would have gone to order some of it, too!

Susan
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #8  

Oh Princess! I totally understand what you're going through. I've been stuck at the same place for a while now myself. Here's what I've done: I've given myself permission to be stuck. I haven't given up. I know that I cannot allow myself to regain the 40+ pounds that I've lost. I know that I cannot allow my life and my health and my hope for my future to dwindle to the state of depression I was in before. I DO know that right now, I will enjoy the weight loss I've experienced thus far. And I will do the best I can each day to count my points and exercise. Sometimes my best doesn't end up being a successful week of weight loss. In fact, I lose and gain alternatively and consistently without seeming to make much progress.

The fact is, I know what's going on in my life that is making it hard for me to be in the same state of euphoric WW loving commitment. It's hard right now. But as long as I keep going to meetings and tracking my food, I will keep the MENTALITY of someone who is WILLING to be healthy and in control and in love with herself and her body - even if I can't lose 1-2 lbs a week (or any) right now.

Try not to beat yourself up. Keep trying. Give yourself credit for the good meals and give yourself a hug when you can't manage a great one. Give yourself permission to stay where you are right now WITHOUT throwing away 55 lbs and a year of maintaining. Enjoy the amazing changes that I'm sure you've experienced in your body since losing the 55 lbs! That's excellent! You'll be surprised by how much better you'll feel if you can ease up on yourself a bit.

I hope things get better soon!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:31 PM   #9  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

Thank you all so much Your words of encouragement were exactly what I needed!

The best way for me to get through this frustrating time is to be extremely proud of myself for maintaining a weight loss of 55 pounds--that's no easy feat. I will keep going because if I don't I will find myself again nearing 300 pounds (quite possibly the scariest thing I have ever heard).

Thank you all again so much, I am so grateful for the encouragement, inspiration and commiseration I find here!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Youve lost 55 pounds!!! That is Awesome in its self. Please dont give up!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #11  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Princess! Don't do it!

I just got married 3 weeks ago and I felt the same way you have for the past 2 months. Don't give up!

I just got back from my honeymoon in Nashville, TN (hello fried food heaven!) and I plan on starting my dedicated WW meetings on Tuesday so I can lose a decent amount before my first anniversary.

55 lbs is a lot of weight to have lost. Be proud of yourself hun and know I'm right there with ya!
Closed Thread