Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 08:47 AM   #1  

Default Wondering about WW

Hi Everyone.

I am thinking about joining WW but have suffered through so many failed diets that the thought of joining or starting a new one just freaks me out.

Is it an easy program to stick with, and to understand? Is it worth the time, money and effort, or should I just try counting fat grams on my own, etc. Can I do it without having to go to the meetings, like the online program?

I have done everything out there except WW, and my sister used WW years ago to lose 20 lbs. and she loved it.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:49 AM   #2  
Woman on a Mission

Hi Squiggy,

I joined WW on Nov. 3 and have so far lost 12 lbs. I am enjoying the program immensely but must say to you that WW is not a diet...it really is a lifestyle change. I eat better now than I did before joining. Part of the joy I found in WW is learning how to make better choices. By weighing, measuring and reading labels I am learning to eat better and in the process am losing weight. I am also not hungry and the plan allows you the flexibility to have your treats as long as you budget for them in your points allowance.

I really hope that you will give it a shot and keep an open mind about the whole experience. I tried losing weight on my own this whole last year and did nothing but play around with the same five pounds going up and coming down.

I recommend trying the meetings to get a feel for the program. I have promised myself to stick out the meetings for the first twelve weeks and then I'll make a decision then if I decide to carry on or not.

I wish you the best of luck and joyous holiday season.

Pam
Old 12-19-2001, 02:26 PM   #3  
Proud Canadian

Hi there - I agree, the main thing about the program is the fact that it isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. You don't count fat and calories, only points and once you get used to it, it's very easy. I have been on the program since may and have lost over 50 lbs and am still losing. For me, it has been worth every penny.
Also, there is the online program (not available everywhere) but I found the best thing for me was to go to the meetings every week. The other people there are inspirational and share hints and are really supportive. also that way, you weigh in once a week at the same time, you can even wear the same clothes and it gives you a better idea of your real successes.
Good luck making a decision.
KT
Old 12-19-2001, 06:57 PM   #4  

Squiggy - I can't thank WW and the group support enough. I know that some of us out there have lost 100's of pounds, but I found trying to lose 30 and keep them off "impossible"... until WW.

And as both KT and Pam have said - if you can accept the fact that this is a choice and a choice for life... what we call a lifestyle change... then you'll make it. I love the points system, the tools we use, the occasional "homework" assignments... which are really about getting clear about what we are doing to ourselves... I love that nothing is forbidden, but have become aware that I can choose what I put in my mouth... I especially love how healthy I have gotten. Diabetes runs rampant in my family, my mom and brother have it, and I truly believe because of the WW program, I have avoided going on any medication. I have upped my exercise level, but don't feel it's a burden. And most of all I love the support. I'm 45 and feel I'm in the best shape I've been in in 20 years. But don't kid yourself - it takes comittment. Most of us have had some sort of "lapse" - I regained 10 lbs last year and finally took it off by this past October. The recomittment is due to WW open door policy and that we all work this program the best we can.

My advice is "give it a go!" We're rooting for ya.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:58 PM   #5  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

I say come on and join. What do you have to lose but a few pounds you don't want hanging around any more. WW is doable.
You find lots of delicious foods that fill you in and yet you lose weight. I heartily recommend it. Good luck with anything that you try!
Old 12-20-2001, 10:06 AM   #6  

Smile

What I like about WW is that you can go to meetings, work the program at home or on-line. It's easy to learn, and it works. The part you'll need to decide once you join is the best method for you.

I started with meetings for the first year, and am now with the at-home program. Since I'm not able to attend meetings regularly, I come here often for daily support and ideas. It's been a god-send for me!

I wish you all the best of luck. There is tremendous support here and hope you join us!

Old 12-20-2001, 10:57 AM   #7  

Squiggy:

First of all, I commend you for asking your question here... it's so important to get advice when making lifestyle changes.

As a frequent WW; meaning I have joined, quit and rejoined countless times over the last 20 years, I can tell you without hesitation that the "points" system is easy to follow and it works. This is my first go at the points system... I started on October 26th and I have noticed more energy, better skin, less aches and pains and have lost 20 pounds.

It is worth the time, money and effort Squiggy. Sure, you could try it on your own, but I strongly believe that you will have a much better chance at success if you join and go to the meetings. And, don't obsess about counting fat grams. You might find that adding more fat will actually help you lose weight. That is the part I love most about this new lifestyle, I can eat anything I want. With that in mind, I choose foods my body responds well to and I experiment with protein vs carbohydrate vs fat content. WW will teach you how to find the right mix of what works best for you. The online support that is available here is something you will find invaluable as well.

Good Luck Squiggy. We're rooting for you.

Michelle
Old 12-20-2001, 05:33 PM   #8  
cookies are for browsers

Default why WW didn't work for me

Hi Squiggy,

I have spent over $800 on WW and am still not at goal. Why? Because WW didn't address the reasons I had in my head for being overweight. I found a program that is working for me (Deepak Chopra's Perfect Weight) and now, if I get a tracker out and count the points, I am within the daily WW allowances. The Chopra plan can work hand in hand with the WW points program, but it addresses the reasons why balance isn't in your body. For me, that has been key. I'm losing weight now and it feels great.

WW is a great program and works for a lot of people. I have food allergies and can't eat very many processed foods because of it. It could have been the center I was going to, but it seemed like the weekly meetings were often a sales pitch for the latest frozen foods or recipe books. Also, I retain water something terrible - sometimes 16 pounds a cycle!! - and the weigh-in people were not nice about it, they kept asking "are you drinking your water" when I was actually drinking TOO MUCH water for my body to process properly. I spent a lot of time beating myself up because I would follow the program to the letter and lose .25 of a pound while other women boasted how they'd cheated on the plan and still lost 4 pounds. The other problem I have with WW is that they are very strict about eating the minimum points and if you don't feel like eating the points, you are feeding your body when it isn't ready to process the food. For me, learning to eat only when hungry has taken about 2 months to learn and I still struggle with it. I think this is why I am finally losing weight; I finally know when my body is on empty I should eat but I shouldn't eat if it's still got some fuel.

I guess I still have some issues with WW. It is a very healthy program and works for a lot of people. In fact, I still have healthier habits because of WW. I think the big thing is whether you are ready to lose weight and have resolved the reasons why you are overweight.

Hope you lose weight, whatever you decide.

Jennifa
216/198/170
Old 12-22-2001, 12:51 PM   #9  

Default Interesting...

jennifa, what you said is so interesting... WW does deal with the mental aspect, but in a way that I can't relate to...

What I've learned in my ups and down, but 100 down after 2 years is that you can work WW in any eating style...

I'm a snack volumn eater, somtime full course meal eater as well..

I can see someone working the Atkins food system along with WW, Vegetarians can win with WW, etc...

So Squiggy (love your name) don't give up... I have a friend who is going through what you are as well, and I'm encouraging her to find a better location... I always tell myself I'm giving up, why pay all the money... But after 100 lb weight loss in two years, is a blessing from God. And like Jennifa, I've learned so much about healthy eating and the food industry.

We all have our doubts, don't feel defeated or alone... It's a process that works.. I'm learning so much about me... I to struggle with wanting to over eat/ not staying within the points.... (it's a mental thing) I hate to journal, but I'm working with that to... I'm learing to cook more foods that benefit me, body mind and spirit...

Before I just wanted the weigh to come off, could careless how the weight was hurting my body... I still want to shallow thin body image, but I am also thinking about my physical and mental health, after watching some family members suffer from bad health due to unhealthy eating habits and not doing some form of exercise..

At least take the healthy lifestyle and exercise to heart... It does not have to be a butt kicking heart attack exercise, but breathing and moving 30 mins to get your cardio happy is a good thing..

Now that I have rambled, it's time for me to sign off...

Hang in there, Squiggy.....

Last edited by Swan_lake; 12-22-2001 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:17 AM   #10  

Any weight loss program will work if you make it work for you. You have to have commitment and give the necessary time to it.

If you want to keep the weight off, you will have to learn new, healthy eating habits. You will not be able to eat the same as you do now and be successful...your current eating habits are not good or you wouldn't be overweight.

You need to learn good nutrition and practice it. You need to drink water. You need to get moving...not necessarily working out at a gym, but getting off you chair and doing something...even housework burns calories...a lot in fact.

Learning to eat different foods was a key to my weight loss.

There is no magic bullet to get the weight to disappear and no way to lose it quickly and be successful. It took time to gain the weight and it will take time to lose it.

I love WW because I am able to eat a higher protein, lower carb diet (per my MD and RDA) and still keep the weight off. I snack on fruit, veggies, cheese...I seldom eat chips, sugar or processed foods. Works for me...might not work for someone else.

I wish you success.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:53 AM   #11  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Quilter,
What a fabulous weight loss. I've lost 25 pounds and got kind of stymied last year--ending up 2001 exactly where I started it.
Somehow I've turned things around and plan on losing the rest of my weight this year. This is a very personal program and the introspection into what has made us overeat at times is worth pursuing.
Good luck to all of us and continued success.
234/207/199soon
Closed Thread