Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #1  
ryn

Default Wondering if WW is for me.

Hi Everyone,

I need your help, as I'm wondering if WW is for me.

First, about me: I am a 27 year old woman, with pre-diabetes and celiac disease. I am looking to lose the last 15 - 20 lbs of weight I am hanging onto.

I've been around the "weight loss block" enough times now that I have a pretty advanced understanding of nutrition. [And have lost 55lbs in the process]. I've also become a total foodie, and insist on eating only whole, natural foods... eating local and what they call "close to the ground." I avoid processed foods at all costs.

What does this mean in my everyday cooking? It means I eat a ton of fresh ingredients, including fruits and veggies, lots of fish and lean meats, healthy fats - including nuts, I have no fear of eggs, and will not hesitate to use real butter. I will not eat low fat or fat free products (their fillers are usually full of sugar, processed ingredients and gluten). I do not eat a lot of sugar, and if I do, its usually the unprocessed type - I try to avoid artificial sweetners.

I wonder if - given all of the above - if WW is for me. Is it possible to do WW while avoiding things like artificial sweetners and low fat/fat free products? I am leaning towards core, but see that all of my dairy would have to be counted as points as only fat free dairy is core. Should I then be looking towards Flex? Is there anyone out there like me who's been successful at WW?

Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #2  
Lost in Wonderland

S/C/G: 230.5/199.5/150

Height: 5'10"

i find it totally possible to do WW without using artifical sweetners and pre pakcaged items

It does take more effort , but i feel better when i do it naturally

dont get me wrong, its nice to have "help" every now and then in terms of ease in making meals ... but WW can totally be done, the fact you already have good nutrition knowledge should make it easier for you
Old 04-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285

Height: 5'8"

WW is definitely simple to do if you want to avoid processed foods at all cost... I've been doing the online program for three weeks and I also only like to eat non-processed, fresh foods. I chose the Flex plan and it's working well! I have a lot of weight to lose and I'm encouraged by the fact that I've lost about 10 lbs already
Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

I believe it would be absolutely possible for you to succeed on weight watchers. I try to stay as close as I can to a whole foods/natural diet, but every once in a while I'll find myself grabbing a FiberOne bar or something like that...sometimes it is so hard to resist I do not use artificial sweeteners. I use sugar or nothing. As for low fat/fat free products. The only thing like that in my house right now is some half and half and that is only because someone else in the house is using it!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #5  
ryn

That is awesome to hear. Thanks everyone! I think I'll stop by a meeting tonight to sign up.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #6  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

ryn - I was thinking about this thread this morning when I was pouring my coffee. While I USED to put fat free half and half and artificial sweetener in my coffee, I now use milk (organic) and NO sugar or sweetener at all. I switched to sugar in my coffee and then decided it just wasn't worth the points. I like coffee just fine with no sugar. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you may find that you give up some of the things you are eating right now (maybe instead of cream or half and half in your coffee you will switch to milk - less points!) but it is worth it and you can still live a whole foods/natural lifestyle. How did your meeting go?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn View Post
What does this mean in my everyday cooking? It means I eat a ton of fresh ingredients, including fruits and veggies, lots of fish and lean meats, healthy fats - including nuts, I have no fear of eggs, and will not hesitate to use real butter. I will not eat low fat or fat free products (their fillers are usually full of sugar, processed ingredients and gluten). I do not eat a lot of sugar, and if I do, its usually the unprocessed type - I try to avoid artificial sweetners.
Sounds like Core may be for you. However you can also do Flex but Core does much of what you are already doing.

Quote:
I wonder if - given all of the above - if WW is for me. Is it possible to do WW while avoiding things like artificial sweetners and low fat/fat free products?
It is very possible to do W/W and avoid artificial sweeteners but Core may be hard unless you make your own salad dressings to do. But also remember that Core gives you the option to earn some points for those nonCore foods with exercise everyday and you do get weekly points to use for those nonCore foods.

[quote}I am leaning towards core, but see that all of my dairy would have to be counted as points as only fat free dairy is core. [/QUOTE] Is skim milk not acceptable to you for medical reasons. There are some skims out there called SKIM PLUS or something similiar that have the consistence of 2% but are skim. I agree that the fat free cheeses are terrible (which is one of the reasons I don't do Core --- i try to eat mostly Core foods and follow Flex).

also remember that Nuts are not core foods.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #8  
banned

Thumbs down

im sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear, but based on your situation , id say no because: full fat dairy is high in points so on either plan theyd get used up quickly and esp. on core, if you look closely, theres alot of fat free fats as well as dairy so youd have to use points for those as well and you only get 35 so bt the dairy and the fats(w exception to 2 tsp. oil) the points would be gone really fast.

i personally am ok w low fat so i cant relate to you, sorry
Old 04-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Hi there! I use the flex point system, and have yet to buy a processed meal or use pre-packaged foods, or use artificial sweetener. This includes all fat-free items including hard and soft cheeses and yogorts, packaged Lean Cuisine type meals (I don't even own a microwave!) and baking items such as Pam and eggbeaters. I even use real butter and olive oil as required when I cook, and I have eggs for breakfast almost every single day. I eat pretty much 100% natural foods that are home-made to boot and have found that although I have to account for everything in terms of points, I have had few problems. ESPECIALLY when it comes to using those great natural foods like nuts, seeds, beans, etc. I know that this sounds close to the Core plan, but unfortunately, Core is NOT for me, as I have a tough time assessing my true hunger levels and as a result, overeat. I also have a tough time accounting for any and all combined foods in the core program (i.e. a whole-wheat pasta and veggie lasagna with some mozza on top is easier for me to control if I count up the points as opposed to eating until I am full). Just my personal problem, I'm sure. Give it a shot! You CAN make your dietary preferences work for you in either plan...and, even though I have plateaued for quite some time, I am really, really happy with my 67 lb weight loss and MAINTENANCE of it (which in my opinion is SO important) for over a year now. The rest will come off when it comes off (PATIENCE!!!) You can do it!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:03 AM   #10  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I think it's totally doable with flex or core. It just depends on how you want to work the program and make it work for you. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Closed Thread