3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   whats the average gains? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/34112-whats-average-gains.html)

slimmingsi 11-05-2003 11:02 AM

whats the average gains?

although i been lifint for ages really i been out for about a year just doing cardio stuff and the odd lift hear or there for the fun of it. i started lifting again last month and in the last 4.5 weeks i put on 6lb the read out says 2lb fat 4lb muscle. is this normal? i'm not using any supplements to aid muscle growth. although i do eat alot of protein. cos i'm poor and sausages are cheap :) i know you make alot of gains in the fist 12-24 months then it slowly winds down. but is a lb of muscle a week sustainable?

Tideypoo 11-05-2003 01:12 PM

Umm if you're eating sausages chances are you wont be getting the best protein, and a LOT of fat along with it. Might want to rethink those :(

Chicken is a much better bet (and can be cheaper too). A lb of muscle a week is not possible to sustain as far as I know. But Im not the best person to ask :)

Tidey

Mel 11-05-2003 09:58 PM

A POUND a week?

Geez, hate to burst your balloon, but I'd double check those numbers if you've been lifting for a while. For a beginner, male, fairly young, that may be sustainable for about 2-3 months. Then you're lucky to add 1-1.5 lbs of LEAN mass a month for a while, then it drops significantly after a year of training. And to do this, as Tidey said, you need high quality protein (chicken, eggwhites, lean cuts of beef, fish) not sausage. Tho they sound good :) Or protein powder. Or some magic bullet that's not entirely legal....
And don't forget good complex carbs.

mel

ok- just re-read your post. So you USED to lift a lot. That puts you in somewhat of a different category- the previously muscled beginner. There really is such a thing as muscle memory and you can see those kind of gains, but again, not for very long. And everything else I said about food still holds true. :strong:

mel

bicker 11-06-2003 03:57 AM

My understanding is that a man with a sufficient level of testosterone can work towards gaining a pound of muscle mass every other month or so. Women can work towards a much slower rate of growth.

Mel 11-06-2003 08:00 AM

My Typo

Sorry, I shouldn't try to reply to posts late at night. My second line should have read:
Then you're lucky to add 1-1.5 lbs of LEAN mass every other month for a while.

I know a few natural bodybuilders who are fairly seasoned lifters, who've managed to put on 10-12 pounds of lean mass in a year through very controlled bulks and periodized lifting. They are usually ecstatic with a 10-12 lb. LBM gain.

mel