3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   One year of being a bad@$$: A review (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/265535-one-year-being-bad%40%24%24-review.html)

sontaikle 09-01-2012 11:09 PM

One year of being a bad@$$: A review

I realized that this September marks a year since I started lifting heavier :) I thought I would post this here, because I still see so many women afraid to pick up a heavy set of weights.

I've been weight training since '09. Nothing serious, I lifted maybe 40lbs max. I remember STRUGGLING to lift that and ending up with back pain. Not cool. I wasn't really making all that much progress, but I did lift once a week from the summer of '09 to May of 2011, when I started watching my portions. I kept lifting as my weight dropped.

A year ago—September 2011—I said to myself: "what would happen if I started challenging myself?"

So I started adding weight to the end of my bar in the class. Within a few weeks I was lifting heavier than anyone else taking the class. Within a few months I was lifting twice as much (or more) as most people. After those few months I had enough courage to add another lifting day outside the confines of the class and began lifting even heavier on those days. Soon my weight training class was no longer the day I lifted the heaviest.

A year ago I made one of the best decisions of my life, and because of lifting heavy:

And now, the most important ones:

Lifting heavy has changed my life, and I hope that I can inspire at least one woman to look past the wrong information she's been fed and pick up a set of heavy weights. As it is I've managed to get other women at my gym picking up slightly heavier weights...now to get them to lift even heavier!

Not only has lifting shaped my body—it's shaped my mind too. I feel strong and confident, and that's an awesome way to live.

rainydays 09-01-2012 11:23 PM

LOVE this. So proud of you!

TiffNeedsChange 09-01-2012 11:38 PM

You have achieved so much! I hope that one day I can overcome my fear and self consciousness and walk into the weight room at the gym! You are an inspiration.

LaurieDawn 09-01-2012 11:55 PM

I can't tell you how much I love this thread! I love reading about strong, confident women who speak well of themselves and their bodies.

Congratulations! I plan on having an anniversary too. In about 9 months!

btrinny 09-02-2012 07:54 AM

Thank you for the inspiration. I am planning on getting a personal trainer at the gym to teach me about lifting and hope next year to have a similar post!

DietVet 09-02-2012 12:02 PM

Great write up sontaikle! I wonder if you can cross post it in the regular exercise forum so that more people will see it. Heavy lifting evangelism!

Love this, btw. It's so true:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sontaikle (Post 4455331)

Rana 09-02-2012 12:19 PM

Amazing! Congrats. I'm where you were a year ago... I'm now more focused on body re-composition than losing weight.

berryblondeboys 09-02-2012 12:37 PM

When you say, "Lifting in class". What class?

LAgreeneyes 09-02-2012 12:52 PM

I'm inspired. Thanks for the post.

GardenBurglar 09-02-2012 02:54 PM

Lifting For The Win!!!!

Your progress has been very inspiring.

faunaflora 09-02-2012 05:44 PM

You are awesome. Thanks for the inspiration!

Blueberries 09-03-2012 09:21 AM

Love it! Happy Anniversary!

This is by far my favorite part of lifting heavy:
                  Quote:

Originally Posted by sontaikle (Post 4455331)

sontaikle 09-03-2012 07:44 PM

Thanks so much everyone! :hug: This site has really been such a big motivator for me. So many wonderful ladies lifting heavy on this site :) I push myself just to keep up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DietVet (Post 4455678)
                    Great write up sontaikle! I wonder if you can cross post it in the regular exercise forum so that more people will see it. Heavy lifting evangelism!

Great idea! I think I'll do that :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4455704)
                    When you say, "Lifting in class". What class?

There is a heavy weight training class at my gym. Well, it's not really "heavy" in that most lift 40lbs at the most, but we use a lighter set of barbells. I just pile on more plates to compensate and adjust the class to my level, but I still love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueberries (Post 4456364)
                    Love it! Happy Anniversary!

This is by far my favorite part of lifting heavy:

Haha yes! Each of my lifting days includes heavy squats because I love the results ;)

kelly315 09-03-2012 08:16 PM

I looked at your pictures, and I agree about all of those things! You look amazing- who would have thought weight lifting would do so much?

TheLauren 09-03-2012 08:36 PM

Congratulations. This is so inspirational. I've planned to add weight training to my routine and this just solidifies what a great idea it is.