3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Protein and Lifting (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/236568-protein-lifting.html)

KerriLeah 06-26-2011 03:33 PM

Protein and Lifting

I'm starting a weight lifting plan this week. I've always enjoyed this type of exercise and want it to be the mainstay in my weight loss, along with SOME cardio. I'm wondering, should I up the amount of protein in my diet if I will be lifting? I remember a lot of focus on this a few years ago in this forum when I used to frequent it. Are there any numbers to live by? I know protein is essential for muscle building, so should I be supplementing with powders, etc?

Thanks for any knowledge shares!

Kerri

nelie 06-26-2011 06:06 PM

For the most part, people supplement with powders for convenience, not out of necessity. I get between 50g to 100g protein per day myself but I don't really worry about protein, I just eat a variety of foods.

KerriLeah 06-26-2011 09:06 PM

Awesome, thanks, nelie.

Suzanne 3FC 06-27-2011 12:00 AM

Here's something else that might help. I noticed it on the front page of CNN tonight.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/24...ers/index.html

Check myth #5.

fitness4life 06-27-2011 12:30 AM

It should be relatively easy to find out protein info on line to answer your Q. There's quackery and there's current scientific data.
Just keep in mind as you navigate the waters is you're trying to lose fat and gain muscle. One of the main keys is to keep your calorie intake less than your calorie expendature to lose fat. Keep those calories rich with nutrients. When you get really lean, worry about the percentages. Right now, just worry about calories in/calories out. KISS priciple (Keep it simple).

KerriLeah 07-04-2011 12:47 PM

Thanks, ladies. I count calories but not yet interested in percentages. Glad to hear it isn't that big of a deal at the moment.

carmen3498 07-04-2011 01:07 PM

The more muscle you have the less fat your body can hold. I learned that when I was doing Chalean extreme. Weight training is fab! I took it up some 2 years ago. I started with P90x which teaches proper form and using dumbbells which will utilize more muscles than using the support of a machine. And please I beg you do not think that you will "bulk" up as a result of going heavy. Women genetically are not made to produce the testosterone to do so. I bench press about 120 pounds and I am not hard core buff. Heck I just signed up to Metabolic Research to get 35 pounds off....... Research and knowledge is power. Good luck to you

runningfromfat 07-04-2011 01:19 PM

I've found I need a good deal of protein. If I don't eat enough I start getting some intense sugar/hunger cravings. If I try to eat read meat at least once per day they almost immediately melt away. I don't do protein shakes or anything like that but I try to eat the vast majority of my calories from meat/veggies. Since I've started to do that I've finally noticed that my weight has been dropping even those I was stuck on the scale for what seemed like FOREVER before. That's what worked for me but you might find something different works for you.

KerriLeah 07-04-2011 05:40 PM

Carmen, thank you! I just finished my first day in the gym after all these years. I missed it! Have been doing some yoga and swimming the past few weeks of trying to get back in shape and was a nice starter, but I'm ready to go for it now. Today psyched me up. Not at all afraid to get bulky-- I know that won't really happen.

Running: I think I will feel that way like you. I was ravenous after the gym today. When I cooled down, I had a bottle of water and went and bought a new pair of gym pants instead of going home THAT hungry. It worked well-- ate a sandwich, a yogurt, and a glass of iced tea. An hour later, thought, still starving, so ate a cup of watermelon and that seemed to do the trick. But I know I need to up my protein, for sure.