Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #1  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

Question Lopsided Toning...

I'm sure this isn't really a new topic, but I'm looking for maybe some suggestions.

I tone pretty unevenly. Most apparent is the difference between my right and left biceps, which I guess would make sense as I am right-handed. My right arm is gorgeous, my left ...pathetic.

Other things I've noticed. LEFT collarbone is more defined than the right one. (which makes no sense to me, since my right side is obviously doing all the work) And then the right side of my back has less fat rolls than my left. Oh and my hips seem kind of crooked, too.

Really, though...the only thing that truly bothers me are the arms. The rest isn't apparent enough for me to care...

So I'm wondering if there's any specific way to even things out? I've been trying to play some Wii Sports exclusively with my left arm to try and balance things out... but for the most part, my left side arm hasn't even shown a little desire to "buff" up.

I'd like to think it will even out in time, but I'm getting discouraged.

Any ideas how to fix this?

xoxo
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Do you do anything else for exercise besides the Wiii? Do you have access to any free weights, like at a gym? You could try hand weights, that would keep your stronger side from compensating for the weaker side (which many machines can let you get away with). I am very dominant on my right side too, but now that I'm at a 25 or 30lb hand weight I'm very even in strength and appearance from side to side. If you don't have free weights you can use something from around the house like a recycled milk jugs filled with water, or a heavy cast iron pan, or a duffle bag with books or bricks in it.

People are assymmetrical from side to side, so don't worry about it too much. One foot or breast is inevitably going to be bigger than the other. I have one ear higher than the other, that's why when you get glasses made the technician has to fit them for you!

Last edited by bronzeager; 10-18-2010 at 10:16 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #3  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

Oh yeah, I do a lot of strength training... usually with 5 lb, sometimes 8 lb weights. And I do use them on both sides, but it always seems like my wrist takes up all the slack on the left side bc my arm isn't strong enough, whereas the entire arm works on the right.

I use the Wii as extra credit for my left arm. I don't count it as actual exercise, just something fun to do that will hopefully help balance out my toning... haha.

Last edited by singforthedayx; 10-18-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hey Liz

From your message you indicate a difference in physical appearance from the right side when compared to the left. However, is there a strength difference?

If you are training both sides with the same exercises and use the non dominate side ocassionaly the day when carrying things, bending, etc. then I wouldn't worry too much about the differences right now.

What you may be seeing is asymmetry caused by muscle that is still concealed under fat tissue. The thing to keep in mind is that there may not be a logical pattern (at least to us) in how the body taps into our fat reserves for energy. As we get closer to our goal (and I notice that you are about half way to yours) we do begin to see the areas that are more resistant to fat loss begin to lean out more.

Now, if you notice a significant strength difference between the right and left side, that's something we can work on. Would be helpful to know what you are doing for your strength training.

There are different ways to train based upon your goals. I'm thinking your goals are probably more about hypertrophy in nature. (Like to see some lean mirror muscle when you flex that bicep in a tank top right?) Stay within a rep range of 8-12 reps. That is, choose a weight that begins to fatigue your muscle by about the 7th to 8th rep but you can still complete till about the 10th rep. Its the last two reps of the set (they gotta feel HEAVY) that really matter. If you can do more than 12, go up in weight. Don't waste your time.

By the way, body weight exercises are highly effective for building beautiful arms. Biceps and triceps get a great workout while doing pushups and all the amazing variations beyond the plank: Incline, decline, pushups with a ball under your feet, pushups with med balls under your palms, pushups with dumb bells, t-pushups, t-pushups with rows...

Hope this helps.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #5  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

I do strength training Jillian Michaels style (aka circuit training... I do all her dvds...)

It's definitely a strength issue, not fat. My arm is very skinny on the left, and more buff on the right. I can't do things as well with the left arm.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been trying to work on push-ups for months, but my core strength is my biggest problem, so I have a lot of issues with anything that involves being in a plank.

I'll definitely try some of those things out.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

It could just be the body pulling fat from the reserves unevenly, as Lydia said...there's definitely some goofy-looking stages my body has gone through on this journey, but I wonder from your description if you don't have some underlying injury that your body is trying to protect with an off-balance stance/positioning...the small muscles and connective tissues in the shoulder area, including the biceps tendons, can have small tears/injuries that you wouldn't notice normally and might not be able to diagnose yourself. Same for the spine and other joints. Not saying it has to be that, but if you are going in for a check-up you might have it checked out by your doc and/or a chiro or physical therapist to see if there isn't some injury there that needs tending to. Better to catch these things early than to wait for the final insult that puts you off weight training for weeks...learned that one the hard way.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 10-19-2010 at 02:17 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by singforthedayx View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been trying to work on push-ups for months, but my core strength is my biggest problem, so I have a lot of issues with anything that involves being in a plank.

I'll definitely try some of those things out.

If you are having trouble with push ups (I used to be the queen of the pathetic push up!) try doing them on a incline, or against the wall even. As your strength builds up, do them on lower and lower inclines (like stairs, or a stepper box)

By doing this, I built up my strength over 4-6 weeks and I was finally able to do a REAL push up on the floor. It was somewhat sad, but I did it!

Don't do 'girl' push ups (bent at the knee). They defeat the purpose and don't do much for the core.

If I can do it, so can you! (My right arm is a half inch bigger when flexed but not physically noticeable)
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote