3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Bodybuilding Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/18797-bodybuilding-recipes.html)

shelbyw 02-22-2003 01:14 PM

Yeah, I gotta remember to measure it!

Here's a recipe that may sound gross to some, but it's really good.

My grandma used to make this all the time. Cook some peppers in olive oil and then add some eggs to it (or in this case mostly egg whites). You can also do potatoes and onions with the egg. You have to slice the potatoes very thin, like chips. Salt and pepper to taste.

****, combine all three and you have one complete meal.

Meg 03-07-2003 11:23 AM

Protein Bars

No Bake Protein Bars

2 cups protein powder of your choice (I have used chocolate Nitrotech, chocolate and vanilla MetRX, and chocolate Grow!)
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/2 cup nonfat dried milk
1/4 cup natural peanut butter, either smooth or chunky
Optional (see note below): nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, extra peanut butter

I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer with the flat beater to mix this, but you could mix and knead with your hands also.

Blend the three dry ingredients together. Blend in the peanut butter. Here’s the tricky part — add enough water to make a sticky mixture. The amount of the water depends of the brand of protein powder. For the ones I have tried (above), it’s between 3/4 and 1 cup of water. You don’t want it dry and crumbly, but not too wet and runny either. The consistency should be quite sticky. If you are not using a mixer, you’ll need to squeeze and knead this with your hands until it is blended.

Spray a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with Pam. Press the mixture into the pan evenly. I spray my hands with Pam also before I do this so it doesn’t stick. Refrigerate for a few hours and then cut into individual bars, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate.

I cut mine into six bars, but you could do eight if you wished. The nutritional info is based on six bars per pan, so you’d need to recalculate if you do eight.

Note: when I make these for the big hulking bodybuilders at the gym who aren’t watching calories — they only want to get bigger — I add in extra peanut butter, dried fruit (raisins, dried cherries etc.), nuts, and/or chocolate chips. If you want to use any of these, just add them to the nutritional info and recalculate.

Nutritional Information (six bars per pan)

250 calories

26g protein
18g carbs
8g fat

Tideypoo 03-12-2003 10:09 AM

frozen to fab chicken breasts

Someone posted a great recipie for oven chicken that is JUICY and good. This is my variation.

line a pan with lots of tinfoil (Enough to make a "package" envelope)

3 frozen chicken breasts (no skin)

1 cup water
2tbsp lemon juice
3tbsp parsley
small handfull chopped almonds
1tbsp seasame oil
2tbsp olive oil
1 chicken OXO cube (low salt)
garlic and onion powder

Disolve OXO cube in water, add remaining spices etc. Pour over frozen breasts in foil lined pan. Tightly close foil.

Bake at 200C for 1hr 15min. Serve with brown rice or pasta.

This is getting RAVES from the family!

Thanks to whoever posted the origonal "super juicy" chicken recipie with the foil idea!

Tidey

Ilene 03-14-2003 07:06 AM

Chocolate Strawberry Milkshake....
(for those late nite chocolate cravings)

1 cup CC
1 heaping spoonful of coco powder
1 heaping spoonful of Splenda
1 cup of strawberries
I added some cold water from the fridge enough to make it the consistency of as thick milkshake...and voilà ...

rochemist 03-14-2003 05:46 PM

Egg Casserole

I adapted this recipe myself and then figured serving sizes and calories so if you see any problems let me know!

3 Whole Wheat English Muffins, toasted
6 oz. of low fat ham
1 bunch of asparagus
7 egg whites, 1 whole egg
1 cup of cottage cheese
1 cup of water
1 tbsp. of Dijon mustard
1 tsp of tarragon (opt)
1 cup of low fat sharp cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350 F. Tear English muffins into small pieces into 13X9 baking dish, sprinkle with cubed ham and asparagus. In blender whip eggs, cottage cheese, water, mustard, tarragon, a dash of salt and pepper (opt). Pour over asparagus/ham/muffins in pan, top with cheese and bake for 1 hour. This is a complete meal.

Makes 6 servings
~246 calories
~6.3 g fat
~19.5 g carb
~21.5 g protein

This is my first attempt to adapt BFL into a recipe hope I did okay :)

Miss Chris

Tideypoo 03-14-2003 08:26 PM

I dont know if its "by the book" authorized but DAMN that sounds good! *drool*

Hardcore BFL'ers would omit the cheese, and probably frown on the english muffins.

Looks good to ME tho! Keep em comin!

Tidey

rochemist 03-15-2003 01:19 AM

Thank you Tidey! At the BFL website they had added whole grains to the authorized food list so you should have saw me going through all the English Muffins at the store looking for the most whole wheat, least calorie, low fat, high protein. The cheese was a toss up. Bill talks about eating a little bit of it in BFL. I am sure it can be made without it, but I think my hubby and son are digging it more since it is on there. I definitely will try again! I think I did pretty well at taking the awful stuff out like a quart of whole milk :D Thanks for your input!!!

Miss Chris:cool:

ledom 03-15-2003 08:56 AM

BFL Authorized Banan bread/muffins

from the www.bodyforlife. com. This had the BFL "Seal of approval"...and it is very good!!!

Banana Bread (2 servings)In medium bowl combine:
3 TBS Protein Powder (I use BRX vanilla creme)
1/2 cup 100% stone ground whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon

In small Bowl combine:
1 medium banana (starting to turn brown), mashed
1 egg white
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce

Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir until moistened. Divide batter into 2 mini-loaf pans sprayed w/ pam and bake in oven at 350 for 20 minutes...

or.. put all batter into 1 mini loaf pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes

or...use a regular muffin pan to make 4 muffins. bake at 350 for aprox. 15 minutes.

this recipe makes 2 servings, so 1/2 of the batter is a meal. Each serving has 38g carbs and 25g protein. "What I like about this recipe is that it is all natural, no artificial sweetneners and no oil. It tastes just like regular banana bread and takes only minutes to prepare!" - well just like a lighened version, it does have the same consistency and while DD turns up her nose, I love it.

MrsJim 03-17-2003 09:58 PM

I’ve been thinking a lot about CONVENIENCE lately…

I figure that a lot of folks who start a bodybuilding/nutrition program (BFL for example) give up for that very reason – being busy with work AND family (I really don’t know how you working moms do it, honestly!) and not having time to prepare fresh foods.

Take potatoes for example – I have bought the 5 pound bags of russets in the past (the 10’s as well) and found that a great deal of the time I end up having to toss a good portion of the taters out because they’ve grown eyes or roots or whatever…plus you have to wash ‘em, cut ‘em up – not like I’m LAZY or anything – it’s a time thing and there’s other things I’d rather be doing! Besides I find that the less time I spend in the kitchen the better :lol:

So ANYWAY, I remembered back to my McDougall diet days…recall that the John McDougall diet is a really strict vegan diet – no coffee or Diet Coke either. One thing he DID say you could eat as much of as you wanted was starches including potatoes, as long as there was no fat added of course J And he also recommended using frozen hash browns as a substitute for fresh potatoes (just check the bag – there should be no added fats). Basically they add a preservative and a TINY amount of dextrose (to keep the pieces fresh looking and from sticking together. The nutritional info on my Safeway Southern Style Hash Brown potatoes is almost identical for a regular potato – check this out!

3 ounce Potatoes, baked, flesh and skin (from www.calorieking.com)
93 Calories, 21.5 g. carbs, 2.1g protein, 0.1g fat
3 ounce Southern Style Hash Brown Potatoes
70 calories, `6g carbs, 2g protein, 0 g fat

Also, check out Potato Buds. You know the instant mashed potatoes. Here’s the nutritional info…
1oz Potato Buds (if you’ve ever used them, you know the flakes are very LIGHT when they are dry out of the box!)
99 Calories, 22.2g carbs, 2.5g protein, 0g fat

When I use Potato Buds, (sure I use ‘em!) instead of milk I reconstitute them with light chicken broth. Tastes better anyway, especially with lots of pepper!

Why not make a chicken pot pie or shepherd’s pie? I’ve never tried this but it’s been kicking around in my head awhile…diced, cooked chicken breast (Chicken prepared Rich’ Mom’s way would be PERFECT! You want it to still be moist and juicy!) or other lean meat mixed with sautéed veggies and some sort of roux made with chicken broth, just a little bit though…put that in a small casserole, then top with mashed potatoes and stick under the broiler until top is nice and brown and crunchy…

Another great thing about using Potato Buds and frozen hash browns is that they are so incredibly easy to measure – it’s right on the package, and you measure out EXACTLY what you need and put the rest back in the cupboard or freezer!

I just had my ‘fallback’ meal of the following – I have posted this before but here it is again…

Spray a nonstick skillet with Pam, then add some frozen chopped onions and your size portion of southern style hash browns (or use Potatoes O’Brien – those are really yummy with those bits of bell pepper –extra veggies!). Cover and let cook for a while, stirring occasionally. Oh and if you are going to have mushrooms, I add them at this stage.

Meanwhile get your portion of eggs ready (I generally do 4 egg whites + one whole egg), whip it together (you might want to add a dash or two of grated Parmesan – just for a little extra flavor) with a handful of fresh baby spinach and when the potatoes are slightly brown depending on how crispy you like them, pour the eggs into the skillet with the potatoes, just stir occasionally until they get to how you like them. I like adding a little Spike or some Butter Buds for flavoring. Very tasty and filling!

Now if only someone would come up with a frozen sweet potato product with no added sugar or oils (the ones I’ve seen have both) then life would be soooo easy… ;)

Tideypoo 03-18-2003 07:02 AM

Speaking of potatoes...

Potato protien comfort soup :D

2 "portions" potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 ribs celery chopped
1/2 large leek chopped
chicken stock

simmer veggies in the stock, and when they are cooked, blend them smooth. Add 200g curd cheese (this is basically cottage cheese that never became clumpy so its smooth like cream cheese or blended cottage cheese). Season to taste (I use a bit of butter flavoring, salt, pepper and herbs). Add 1/2 serving of cottage cheese to a large bowl and fill wil the soup. Stir and enjoy! Its creamy and filling and easy! Makes 2 servings.

Ilene 03-18-2003 07:24 AM

Thansk Mrs. J.... you got me onto frozen veggies, now I'll probably buy the frozen potatoes...Yippee.... less time in zee keetchen....

Ilene 03-19-2003 11:53 AM

I just found this on the L&S site... sounds good.... thought I'd share...

Chorizo:
Ingredients
2 lb. ground turkey breast
3 garlic cloves (crushed)
1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and form into patties. Saute over medium heat until brown and serve immediately.

I haven't tried it yet.. but I know I will...

wcolleen 03-22-2003 10:18 PM

Yummy "Beef" Stew

I found pork stew meat at my Super Wal-Mart today, and decided to try my hand at some stew. "Pork Stew" doesn't sound all that appealing, mind you, so that's why I'm referring to it as "Beef" Stew :cool:

2 pounds of pork stew meat (or beef, but the pork has a LOT less fat!)
Potato chunks (figure up how many servings the pork will make, and add potatoes accordingly. For me, it was 8 potatoes)
1 packet of beef stew seasoning (I used McCormick)
3 cups of water
Any veggies you'd like to add (I added celery and slivers of onion)

1. Cook meat (I boiled mine) until slightly pink
2. Drain meat and add water and seasoning packet
3. Simmer for 1 hour
4. Add potato chunks and any other veggies you wish to add
5. Simmer for approx. 45 minutes

ChiroLisa 03-23-2003 03:41 PM

Salmon?

Any good salmon recipes?

While we're at it, do smoked or gravad salmon count as a protein portion? And tidey, what is the swedish name for the CC that you use, especially the low curd one?

Lisa

spamtravels 03-24-2003 10:02 AM

Cured Salmon

ChiroLisa - I think any cured fish would be a free day selection due to the amount of salt and/or sugar used in the preparation. Here in the US they put all sorts of MSG (I'm very sensitive to it) into some smoked salmon, so I make my own. I also make my own gravlax for freedays (since they have no idea what that is in the Southern part of the US).

Grilling the salmon and serving it with a sauce made of plain yogurt and dill is one of my favorites.