3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   SEPTEMBER - They are going baaaack! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/180678-september-they-going-baaaack.html)

jamsk8r 09-27-2009 01:42 PM

Birch, I like the idea of having some tea along. I could take the tea fixings to the gym with me for those long Saturdays (the workout, then waiting for everyone to leave, then about 2 hours for the gym cleaning job). I hope you get your house back soon! :hug:

Rabbit, if we are motivating each other, then that's got to be a good thing! Great job on the exercise this week! I'm going to try and get my food issues straightened out this week, so I can feel like all my good exercise is not for nothing! :dizzy:

Well, today is rest day from the gym, and I am home for a day...woot! I will spend today trying to get a plan together for the food war, get the house cleaned up a bit, clean the chicken coop, and I'd like very much to clear the unnecessary tools out of my van, and load up the dog scootering supplies, so that I might take a dog along to run, when the weather is cooperating.

I'm thinking of pulling my boy from the CFKids class, if no kids show up by Monday afternoon. My brilliant plan is not working, not without any other kids in the class. :( I figure it would be better to wait until some of the other kids are ready to come back to class, rather than keep subjecting him to the class all by himself. :shrug:

Shannon in ATL 09-27-2009 06:48 PM

:wave:
The rain stopped again, no additional damage around me as far as I know. 4 roads that had just reopened near my MIL had to be closed again, so she will have a fun drive to work tomorrow...

We have DSS from Saturday AM to school drop off Monday this weekend, and DH just had to go back in to work for a little while. I spent some time entertaining the boy this afternoon during the Falcon's game - does 2.5 hours of gettin up and down and playing on the floor with active 4 year old boy count as exercise? :dizzy: pretty active 'rest' day for me, too!

Pat - the barn dance sounds like fun!

Cheryl - sorry no one else has shown up for the kids crossfit!

Birch - glad your builders are almost done!

Rabbit - I do the same thing with the sul
supplies in the AM. I take coffee, water, yogurt, fruit, string cheese and keep the making for tea in my office. I try to fill up on tea so I don't snack...

Oops, Diego over, time for bath...

Good night everyone!

WaterRat 09-27-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Pat - I cannot imagine how cold it must be in Alaska! We'll having an uncommon good weekend...sunny and 21 C.
You won't like it Rabbit! Today is very overcast and all of 3C! :brr: To be fair it was 10C most of the week.....

Hmm, I don't know what I ate at the barn dance, or my friend's house yesterday, but I've had some, um, digestive upset today, and haven't strayed far from the bathroom. I did go grocery shopping, but fortunately they have a very nice restroom. :) We're going to a concert in a couple house at the local coffee shop, but I think I may be rid of the problem. No cramps for the last hour or so...... Sorry TMI.

4rabbit 09-28-2009 03:05 AM

hi Ladies,

Birch - are you awake yet? It's monday... a new week, a new start of my 7 hours resolve. I can report that I certainly FEEL a gazillions time better than 3 weeks ago, BIked to work, so my first 30 mins is in.

Pat - sorry for the stomach trouble.

Sounds like we all had a pretty active weekend,
Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Mel 09-28-2009 07:45 AM

Monday blues here. I did get out of bed and do cardio after thinking about it for a minute after my alarm went off. Leg day at the gym.

Back to day 1 of clean eating. The weekend was under control- so that's an improvement! :D

Cheryl- Fight Gone Bad was kind of fun. I had a 250 in Standard Women, as proscribed. The last set of box jumps was a little hairy.

Nationally over a million dollars was raised for Athletes for a Cure(Prostate Cancer) and the Wounded Warrior Project.

Mel

jamsk8r 09-28-2009 08:04 AM

Morning, ladies! I'm trying to get on a good schedule for fall/winter, so I actually got myself in bed at 8:30 last night. Woke at 3, feeling rested, and six hours is my norm for weekdays, so decided to get up, rather than lie there waiting for the alarm clock. This will give me a chance to load my van with the dog scooter and supplies, so I can run Gracie this morning, after the gym, do the grocery shopping, and be home before it's too hot for little red dawgs to be riding around in the van. :carrot: I'm going to attempt to be sensible this year, and not mess up my schedule with late nights on the weekends!

Food was POP yesterday. Woot! I'm still brainstorming ideas for PWO foods that travel well, and some that I might keep in the van for emergencies. I'm going to experiment with this plan: high protein/low carb for most workouts (strength training days and easier metcons), add in the carbs to the PWO meal after a longer/brutal metcon. I'll see how I feel on that, and what it does as far as leaning out, since I still have a few pounds to go. Mainly, I'm looking to curb that PWO hunger, so I can get through running my dog and/or grocery shopping afterward, and not arrive home wanting to empty the fridge while my lunch is cooking! The protein shake worked great for this last year, so I'm hoping I can do it again this year, either with a shake or some portable food.

PS to Mel: Great score! I've only done FGB once. I got a 185, because I didn't understand the rotation, and accidentally took an extra minute of rest when I should have been doing high pulls. Probably about 201 if I hadn't done that, so you still kicked my butt on that one! Great job, and congrats on all the moneys raised! Our gym doesn't participate, since we're already doing the Fraxa fundraiser every year. The gym owners figure one big charity event is enough, I think, plus I think we're hosting regionals next year, so that will be a furball, I'm sure!

silverbirch 09-28-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4rabbit (Post 2945710)
Birch - are you awake yet?

Yes, thank you! :) I was just leaving the house as you posted. Good work on the exercise front. Miss Marple and the rowing machine is a great idea.

Cheryl : PWO? please? Is this something I need?

Mel: hope you're feeling a bit better. VG on having an under control weekend.

Shannon: good to see you posting. I scored high points last week by telling someone due to fly from here into Virginia and out of Atlanta that there had been bad floods! :D 3FC is so good for us posers! Glad things are improving a bit.

Pat: you're busy busy!

Had a slightly tricky start to the day involving cuddling a large 9 yo boy - both of us in a smallish chair. That, um, screwed up my back a little so I bought frozen fruit (necessary purchase anyway) and sat in the supermarket car park icing the part and drinking coffee before doing a warm-up and stretching session at the gymn. Anything is better than nothing, don't you agree? And I feel better now. ...

... I'd like to have one of those straightforward days with a smoothly running body, household and car. In the meantime ...

Have a good day, all. And you lurkers, too. :wave:

Shannon in ATL 09-28-2009 02:09 PM

Hello!

Pat - hope you are feeling better! I wish we had a little cool down here, or at least a cut of the humidity. I'm ready for fall after all this rain.

Rabbit - :high: on the two weeks of exercise!

Mel - I looked up FGB. Ouch!

Cheryl - You got up at 3am? Wow. I was just barely getting to sleep solid at 2:30... :high: to you for your POP food yesterday!

Birch - sometimes you just have to cuddle with the boy, even when the chair is too small. :) I have a nice left quad cramp today from the same thing with my 4 yr old boy yesterday.

No exercise this morning. I have got to get myself back in the habit of exercise in the morning... Going to do something when I get home, maybe yoga. Dunno yet. A little stiff from last week, first full week back on my exercise schedule after being sick.

I am starving starving starving today. Is it because I ate less protein for the last few days than normal and had more carbs? I had more than the RDA every day, but no where close to what I was getting...

:wave: good day everyone!

WaterRat 09-28-2009 03:57 PM

Morning. Feeling better today so I've rearranged my exercise schedule and I'll be doing a full-body circuit tonight (Day 1 that I posted earlier), and moving the rest day to Thursday which is where I need it. :) I'm finding it hard to get out of bed at 5:15 am when it's dark and cold (30F/0C) in the morning. I'll go tonight, tomorrow night, wed noon, off on Thurs, and - sigh - early am on Fri as I've plans for both lunch and after work. Weekends are easier because the gym opens later so I can't go early....

I have my budget presentation this afternoon, and then work should settle back into a quieter routine. I have a couple of long-term projects I'm working on, but nothing on the horizon to be stressed over.

Cheryl - PN recommends that you have the majority of your dense carbs within 3 hours of a workout. That's one reason I like early morning workouts - lets me eat oatmeal and 1/2 bagel for breakfast. :) Otherwise the carbs come from fruits/veggies.

:wave: to everyone. Gotta scoot.

jamsk8r 09-28-2009 05:17 PM

Birch, sorry! PWO= post workout, so I was talking about what to eat after my workouts.

Shannon, thanks! Hopefully today will be day 2 of POP eating. I'm ready to kick these last few pounds out of here and be a maintainer!

Pat, all my carbs come from fruits/veggies, at least normally they do...I've been slightly off kilter since the day at the fair, but hopefully am back on track now with the food. :crossed: I do allow for sugar/milk in my tea, but that's it for the carb action.

Speaking of carbs, interesting little tidbit. Dr. Barry Sears has a lecture posted on the CF Journal (free for all, not just members, if you're interested). Now, I'm not a doctor, so have no idea if it's true or not, but he says if you're too low carb for too long, it increases the release of...er...cortisol? crud, that might not be right...something that starts with a "C", I think, that can lead to depression. My BIL has been diagnosed with and struggling with depression this past 2 years or so, and he's been on Atkins for maybe 6 years, so I found that statement interesting and wondered if it is true. :chin:

The CF report follows:
--------------------------

This morning was great...I think I approve of this 3am thing! (like it will ever happen again, :rofl:) I got to the gym at 6:30, went for a mile run, spent a while stretching/overhead squatting with the pvc pipe, to loosen things up, did my push-ups and sit-ups and pull-ups. Then I still had lots of time, so I practiced squat cleans. I am getting more comfortable with this lift, and it no longer seems like there are 42 different form points to remember. :carrot: Anyway, it was fun!

Today's WOD was a birthday workout for one of the ladies:
Run 380 meters
9 Push Press (95# men/65# women)
28 KB Swings (54# men/36# women)
3 rounds for time

My time was 13:13/Rx'd. Wow, this was much tougher than it looked, though mercifully short! I came in off that first sprint, sucking wind like a racehorse, and that made the push presses gobs of fun! There was no "take a breath and hold it" today. Between the running and the kettlebells, I was sucking wind the whole workout. :faint:

After the gym, I sucked down a protein shake, took my dog for a run, just about 2 miles, since she's still out of shape from having the summer off, then did the grocery shopping at Costco on the way home. The shake did the trick, since I felt full all the way to lunchtime. :carrot:

nelie 09-28-2009 05:30 PM

I'm so lazy, I was going to wait until October 1st to post which I thought was tomorrow but its not!

Anyway, I am doing well. I have karate 1 night per week and I practice on other nights. I've been doing c25k. I am also trying to do weights and kettlebells regularly again. Beyond all that, my food is good although today is definitely a hungry day. I've been counting calories for the last week but not strictly until today. I looked and saw I don't have much room for my normal piece of dark chocolate at night tonight :) I may have to turn it into a few times/week treat instead of daily.

I asked about magazines in a separate thread because I was interested in finding a good magazine to subscribe to that will help give me ideas and just be overall informative. I liked the Fitness Rx For woman magazine I picked up (other than all the ads). If anyone could pipe up, I'd appreciate :)

Shannon in ATL 09-28-2009 11:14 PM

Cheryl - I've read that about cortisol before. Or maybe it was something about lowcarb lowering serotonin levels over time? I think there may have been a discussion about that topic on here, can't remember if it was in a general forum or the Atkins specific forum. I'll see if I can find it...

Nelie - not October 1st yet! I've been reading Women's Health lately. They have some fluff, but I've been enjoying the workouts. Though, I learned after I subscribed that you can get the workouts off the website for free... :dizzy:

Pat - hope the budget presentations went well!

jamsk8r 09-29-2009 12:54 AM

Hey all. Pretty good rest of the day today. The boy got his school done, and we made it on time to his CFKids class. We left early, just in case, but with the fair finally over, and that traffic gone, we made it with time to spare. Two other boys did drop in late for the kids' class today, but with no kids other than my son actually paid and committed for the whole 6 weeks, the trainer decided to just cancel it, and wait for more kids/parents to show interest. She did invite my son to come do the regular wods, but he doesn't feel ready for that, and I don't really think he's mature enough or interested enough, at this point, for that to be a good experience. I think I will start taking him with me on Saturdays, just to hang out, so he's staying in contact with the other kids there, and making some friends. My son did say he'd be interested in doing another kids class when it starts up again. :carrot: I think taking him once or twice a week with me will still be good, because then he won't feel like "the new kid" when the class does start up. So, it didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped, but he did seem to get enough to at least be interested and willing to try it again later. :)

I'm off to bed. See if I can at least get up on time, if not a little early again. Food was POP today...day 2.

4rabbit 09-29-2009 04:49 AM

Hi ladies,

Fly by post.
I managed to get my wo in yesterday: powerclass & biked to work, total 2 hours.
Today is biking to work (1 hr total) and if I/m not too tired (BIG if) zumba is on at 9 pm at the gym. I'm considering that,but it really is late for me.

Cheryl -pity the CF did not work out for your son.
Re depression: cortisol is a stress hormone. It is linked to depression and to accumulation of belly fat as far as I know. I've never heard of the lo-carb link tough. Re BIL on Atkins: I did mindfullness and behavioral therapy for my depression and that worked out really good. Both teach you skills to counteract the onset of depression and nip it in the bud immediately, which prevents getting in cycles of depression. I hope your BIL has not been depressive for long.

sacha 09-29-2009 08:32 AM

Hello ladies, thank you for the congrats :hug:

I have not worked out since last Tuesday (one full week!) because this has been the week from ****. Nausea, sore boobs, fatigue, no coffee (worse than all other symptoms combined).

OK. So today, I start working out again.

New 8 month program starting Sep 29, 2009: Crossfit Mom (http://www.crossfitmom.com) + 1 hour walk per day (doggie)

Today's workout:
Skill Day
Today, do the Burgener warm up and practice the heaving snatch balance with PVC.

I don't have a PVC but since I'm still in the first trimester, I'll just use an Olympic bar (45lbs). Maybe a broomstick if that's awkward.