Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #1  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Unhappy Urinary Incontience

Howdy Folks.

I read that weight lifting causes urinary continence. This is something I've been strugglign with every since I had my daughter. I know the REAL solution is to lose all my excess weight which will take loads of pressure off my bladder. I'm just wondering though if weight training is going to make it worse? I've been doing BodyPump. Should I stick to Yoga until I loose more weight? I don't want to weaken my pelvic floor. I'm really scared about that. I'm only 20 and its already a problem. This is one of my most motivating factors for me to lose weight actually. Any advise appreciated.

I just found this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND9WklPKtG0 I think I'm petrified of lifting weights again. :S

Last edited by TempleBody; 06-13-2008 at 12:30 AM.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm not sure why weight training would cause incontinence.

Do you do kegel exercises? If not, you should. I have what's called "stress incontinence" (if I cough really hard or sneeze, I'm likely to pee just a little) and workign on my kegels has helped a lot.

Also, you can use smart balls (they're marketed as sex toys, but they're great for building strong kegels) to help strengthen the kegel muscles. I bought mine from Adam and Eve online, but I think you can also get them through Amazon.com if you'd rather not order from a sex shop!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 06-13-2008 at 12:41 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

This is the original article I read that said weight lifting causes incontinence. The author says abdominal exercises also cause it too. http://www.drdonnica.com/guests/00005226.htm

I'm guessing because when youre carrying the load of weight (especially if you're doing squats w/ weights, clean and press, etc) it puts pressure on the pelvic floor muscles.

Last edited by TempleBody; 06-13-2008 at 12:50 AM.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, I'm skeptical when a doctor says to avoid ab and weight lifting exercises. That seems rather excessive.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I've noticed that I'm not the only one who goes to the bathroom a couple of times during a weight lifting session.

Yup, do your Kegels, make sure your baladder is empty and mention it to your doctor the next time you are there.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When I stopped caffeine. I noticed a remarkable difference, I only drink decaf coffee and sodas with no caffeine.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #7  

I checked into the site mentioned in the referral, and
I find the advice quite strange. Apparently the idea is that if you use strong muscles in the vicinity of the pelvic floor muscles, then the weakest link would give.
IMO it would be more logical then to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.

And, I would think the effect would be at the moment that you are using the stronger muscles, so when you are lifting. Krista also mentions this somewhere in her site

So I agree with susan B: empty your bladder before and do your kegels.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote