3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Lift and Chat: March 16 - 31, 2008 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/137137-lift-chat-march-16-31-2008-a.html)

helenandaudreysmama 03-22-2008 10:03 PM

OK, Ladies...I did the workout 1A(2) today and hummmm...I at least got onto the ball for the prone jackknifes...

Is that youtube video WOW is all I can say. I found a trick thanks to Nelie. I stood behind the ball and laid on it. Than rolled myself forward until my thighs were on the ball. They were more like pelvic tilts but hey I got my butt on the stinkin ball and that is more than I was at on monday...:carrot:

sportmom 03-23-2008 01:36 AM

Oh yeah, i learned that same trick from the ford model video. of course, my dd can do it no problem, even up on her toes and piked. sigh So i have my own demonstrator in the house. Mel, I'm sending her to live with you!

lalala123 03-23-2008 06:02 AM

:lol: I'm experimenting with Krista's workout 2, but all this talk about the prone jackknife is making me really curious so I think I'll try those today instead of the ab crunches (day 2). :rofl:

I did the workout for lower body yesterday and I'm disappointed that only the back of my legs hurt, and even that not that much. So I've been complaining about that - I bet everyone (friends) thinks I'm crazy for wanting the "ouch it hurts when I move!" soreness. :p
(Please tell me I'm not alone in this. :lol: I just feel that if my muscles aren't sore, I could have worked harder!)

I'm also somewhat sore in my lower back, but I'm not sure if that's ok or bad. I felt it in some exercise (I think it was the deadlift), even though I tried to be careful about form, so now I don't know if my lower back is just weak, or if I was doing something wrong.

Oh, and I wanted to comment on the "you have to leave your pride outside when you go to the gym" thing - it's so true, and I kept on telling myself that.
My gym is for women only, and most usually just do a bunch of cardio and a then go through some of the machines.
We do have weights - dumbbells and a barbell -, but the weights area is small and right in front of the cardio machines, so I always feel like everyone is watching me. :o Last time I dragged the barbell (do to OH squats) to the empty aerobics room, but yesterday I wanted to use different weight plates on the BB so I stayed there (hiding away isn't a good solution, anyway) and made "no pride in the gym" my mantra. :lol:

I'm thinking about changing gym, but I'm not sure which is worse: to work out in front of a bunch of girls who probably think that weightlifting will make you look like a bodybuilder, or to go to a gym that has a focus on bodybuilding (among other things, there's such a gym close-ish to my house and I'm considering it, but I've never been there) so it will be full of guys who lift very heavy and may also laugh at me as I try to figure out how to do things with tiny weights. :dizzy:

Ok, this post somehow became much longer than I wanted it to. :o Sorry.
I'm kind of excited that I chose a "program" to work at and that I did get over feeling ridiculous and did work with the weights. :D

Lydia227 03-23-2008 10:07 AM

Hi Lalala: It took a while for me to feel comfortable in the free weights area of the gym too. I like to refer to it as the "sandbox." My gym is a family Y. I could be in a mix of cardio only people somedays or I'm surrounded by high school and college youths who surely have been lifting since they were ten. :rofl:

The culture of the gym can influence how we may or may not progress in our lifting. It is difficult to be the only loose cannon on deck who is willing to implement new exercises on our own. We look a little unconventional and stand out. But in doing this we invite others to break out of the mold and join us. You just may find that in the end you can create a new culture in any gym you choose to workout in. Besides, we know what your trying to do over there. :p Maybe they do too but they are just too worried to move forward. :^:

lalala123 03-23-2008 10:15 AM

That would be funny, I'd then be "The Bringer of the Weightlifting Goodness" of my gym - sounds like a kind of hero, huh? :rofl:

Depalma 03-23-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lydia227 (Post 2112782)
Hi Lalala: It took a while for me to feel comfortable in the free weights area of the gym too. I like to refer to it as the "sandbox." My gym is a family Y.

I like our local Y. I don't think 99% of the members even know there is a free-weights area. Upstairs, they have the fitness center area with all the cardio equipment and the shiny, new Life-Fitness circuit machines they just replaced a few months ago. (They did get a really great cable unit for up there though which is great).

Downstairs in the basement is the grungy old weight room. I don't think they've spent money there since the 1960's. Some rusty old benches, a squat rack, a heavy old leg sled, a cable crossover with some of the plates cracked, and a handful of rusty barbells and a bunch of rusty old plates. Usually, if I work out at the Y, I have the room to myself or one or two people. In the midafternoon, the room does fill up with the high school crowd. Other than that, it's ALL MINE! It is basically a desert of rusting iron which remains me of an Eric Cressey quote, "Rust on a nail brings Tetanus. Rust on a barbell builds character."

sportsfreak 03-23-2008 02:04 PM

hey everyone

Well i just got my gym membership yesterday:carrot:. Now i can join all of you in the nrolw workouts. On monday i have my orientation and fitness evaluation. Apparently there going to be renovating this May for a pool and basketball court. Im soo excited i can finally do the weights i had wanted to. And the best thing is that this gym is a 5 min walk from my school. Its in the plaza right beside it. I have 10 days to try it out and figure out if this is for me or not, if i dont like it i can get a full refund.

Well i started on my health journey in october. I did lose 20 pounds since then and i am now content. However i had to change the eating habits of my entire family- being a kid its preety tough. However, my mom began to see the results of my food preety fast. Now without even going to the gym, just by changing the food she eats, she lost 20 pounds. She does have long ways to go but now that i have a membership, i will help her in the gym. She had a personal trainer and he did not provde her with the results i did. So now my mom knows she has no way out ;).

baffled111 03-23-2008 04:53 PM

That's great Sportsfreak! I hope you love the gym! How very cool that you were able to reform the eating habits of your whole family. That's a really great achievement. Now you just have to persuade them to eat more protein so that you can build yourself some nice strong muscles. :)

Lydia227 03-23-2008 04:54 PM

Depalma: 1960's, and cracked plates :yikes: Our Y is relatively new and the director takes good care of the equipment. :chin:There is something to be said for working out on a lower level all by yourself.

Our Y is an open floor plan. The cardio and weightlifters mingle quite a bit. It has its advantages. While doing my cardio for warmup I know exactly when my favorite bench is available. :s:

SportsFreak: Congratulations on your loss and also :hug: for helping Mom get in on the program as well. You both are very lucky to have one another to encourage. I keep telling my mom to come join me but she just isn't ready yet. I'm not exactly a "someday" kind of person but in this case I can't push her too quickly. Enjoy your new membership too!

Mel 03-24-2008 07:21 AM

Happy Monday :sunny: All the peeps and bunnies gone?

Congratulations, sportsfreak! Have fun at the gym and kudos to you for helping your mom and the rest of your family.

Today is "back on trak" Monday for me. I've been like a locust for the last week :( Workouts are great.....BUT....

Mel

Lydia227 03-24-2008 12:23 PM

No peeps here but the Dove chocolate bunnies are still intact. I've learned my lesson from Halloween. I waited until the day before to purchase the candy and only selected things that were single serving size. No half full bags of candy for Mom and Dad to scarf down on Saturday night. I did take home all of the remaining colored eggs from my mom's gathering. Hey, I can use the protein. And they look nice too with me lunch.

Elisa: Day two of the spinning class. I attempted to lift after the 50 minute class and totally hit the wall. I did about a half hour of pathetic lifts and then gave up. I think the spinning class will occupy maybe just one day of my schedule until this summer. At that time I will be able to get the lifting in an hour before the spinning class. Oh, the good news is that my bottom doesn't feel as bruised. Progress or just a different instructor. :dunno:

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Enjoy your trip Pat as much as possible. :wave:

elisa822 03-24-2008 12:53 PM

Lydia - thanks for the spin update! :) I actually haven't gone in a while...I've been trying other things but at most now I'll do one class a week. There's too much to try and when I go to spinning, I can't do anything at the same time. For a while I was doing a spin class at lunch and a Power Class after work which was fine, except the I would tire on the squats quicker...no big surprise there!

I tried my new HIIT program today. I ran at between 7.0 and 7.5 mph for 45 seconds and then walked at 3.5 for one minute. According to the machine, my HR was 168 after the sprint and would go down to 148 within the minute walking. I don't know if that's good but it felt pretty good. I followed it with most of workout 1A (minus the squats) from NROLW. I know we've discussed whether you should do the cardio first but I've got to do what works at the gym. The treadmills are full by noon so I go early to do the cardio first. Gotta work around the situation!

I'm trying to track my food on Fitday for the first time to see where I'm at with the calories and protein/carb/fat ratio. I've always just counted in my head but not paid attention to the breakdown so we'll see how it goes.

:D

midwife 03-24-2008 04:19 PM

Hi guys! I've been reading, reading, reading and I am so impressed with everyone's programs. I think I will get one of those balls and try those pike things.

I just wanted to update everyone. I have been going to the personal trainer since 2/25 and she took my stats today (9 point calipers).

I have lost 7 pounds (per my scale and her scale), but even more exciting:

body fat percentage then: 26%
body fat percentage now: 21.6%
lean mass then: 135.5
lean mass now: 137.9

Now I am not convinced calipers are 100% accurate or anything, but the TREND has me thrilled to pieces.

Good gravy, I might someday actually be BELOW 20% body fat? And that day might actually be kind of soon?

I've been having 3 sessions a week, sticking to my nutrition plan pretty closely, and doing HIIT 3 times a week.

Yeah, I like this stuff!!!

sportsfreak 03-24-2008 05:17 PM

well i went for my orientation session today and i waited 30 min b4 i told them i had to leave. Not too impressed with the service. If it continues i may be wanting a refund.

Midwife- congrats on ur progress. You'll be below the 20% badfat line in no time the way ur going.

sportmom 03-24-2008 06:45 PM

5% points on body fat is AWESOME progress in one month!!! Congrats Midwife!