Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default half ton man

ok, folks. i finally broke down and watched this last not on TLC. it was extremely interesting. Patrick [his name] had lost more than half his weight, and considering he started at about 1070 pounds, that was no small feat! at the time of the show, he was a little under 500. still dangerously overweight, but quite an improvement. he had an open gastric bypass.

a few things struck me.

first, it would seem to be about time for some interim skin reduction surgery. his pannus is REALLY making it hard for him to move.

second, his wife made a couple of very interesting comments about food being such an expression of love for Patrick. And the way to show love for him was to feed him what he asked for.

and third, he was shown, at the end, eating his 'protein snack.' it looked like a small pack of cheese, with a small bag of potato chips. hmmmm. and he was eating this lying down, flat on his back. i wondered if he was going to choke! eating in bed. hmmmm

have any of you seen it? what do you think?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #2  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

I sooooo wanted to watch that last night, but I had to go to the grocery store. I will have to catch it next time.

I love seeing shows about people loosing weight and seeing before and after pictures I think it really keeps me motivated.

Has anyone ever watched honey we are killing our kids? What a wake up call that is! I have been eating so much better but I really haven't tried getting anyone else at home to join me. Yes my kids are eating more fruits and multi grain stuff but that is because that is what I am buying. I am also still buying all that processed sugar crap. What am I doing?

Crazy crazy, I guess I just don't think sometimes. haha!
40poundsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #3  
No description available.

I watched this show last night, too. Some comments made me snort (not a very kind thing I know), like...."he's not keeping down water so I buy him Sprite" (how about diet sprite?) and "He's sticking to a low-fat, low-sodium diet" when there was a package of chips next to him on the bed. His denial about the calories he must have been consuming and his remark that he would "rip someone to shreds" if they told him what he could or could not do (or eat).

I really felt for the man from New York who had lost all that weight and then gained it back. He wanted one hot dog, which turned into 4, with fries with cheese...and then he gained hundreds of pounds back.

I am not an expert and I most certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but when it gets to a point where your loved one is eating himself or herself to death, do you say, "No more!" I know it is not that simple...I guess I just don't understand. If my husband was killing himself with a habit I would intervene...but that is based on the fact that he would not "rip me to shreds" and I would never live with someone who would behave that way. But then my DH has always been very kind about my own weight issues, never critical but always supportive...are there degrees of obesity that scream for intervention? Can I be so judgmental because my own wt loss goal is 40-50 lbs and not 400-500 lbs?

It was very eye-opening.

And I want to add that I just have a boatload of respect for Richard Simmons. What fantastic support and interventions he has done....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I missed the show but boy it sounds rough. I don't know what I would do being in their shoes. If my DH couldn't get out of bed I don't think I'd be bringing home sprite and chips... maybe diet sprite and baked chips as a treat. I know, its easier said than done but I would try.

I'm not in their shoes and I shouldn't pass judgement so I'll say a prayer for them instead.

I love Richard Simmons....always have. He seems to be the one person in the diet industry that seems like he really does care about people deep down.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #5  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

The one thing that stuck out the most was that he really didn't seem like he wanted to lose the weight. I say this because he still openly chose to eat junk, and refused to listen (or even consider listening) to someone teach him a better way to eat (and live!). His attitude will be his downfall I think, and that's sad because he's come a long ways already.

I know that the show is only one small portion of his life, but I can't help but think that he's going to regain much of the weight with his habits. His wife isn't helping any - she's an enabler. It sucks being in her position too, I'm sure, but at what point do you say enough is enough?

I did, however, really enjoy watching the show(s) with the two ladies who also had open RNY and who really started changing their lifestyles. That's what it should be about IMO.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #6  
If at first you don't...

From what I remember (I watched this a few months back) he did finally have the surgery to remove some of the excess skin back in Feb. or March (I know it was originally scheduled for January but he caught a cold or came down with the flu and they postponed it). As of March he was down below 400. I haven't seen anything recently though.

Last edited by ~Melissa~; 06-05-2006 at 08:00 PM.
~Melissa~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:08 AM   #7  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I also say this but it was some time ago. The part that sticks out most in my mind is when the person doing the interview is talking to the wife about her husbands eating habits and whether his obesity was due to simply over eating. He over heard from the bed room (from the cheese, chips, soda) and he came out stating ( very defensively I might add ) his obesity was genetic. During this minor tirade the camera pans to the trash can over flowing with empty food packages. All I can remember is thinking..."Riiiight, genetics". But it was a while ago.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:23 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am confused... is this a "regular" TV show??? Or what?
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #9  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

No, it's a special that's on Discovery Health or TLC every once in a while. It's about a man who eventually got up to over 1,070 pounds and couldn't move at all. In order to save his life, he underwent GBP. It shows how he had to slowly start losing weight, and eventually shows him back at home, "adapting" to his new lifestyle.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Thanks.... I don't think I have that channel... I only have limited basic cable
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I saw this Sunday Night it was like watching a train wreck!
How many people can say they were brought back from death. . .this guy was and he didn't seem to care! I saw the overflowing trashcan filled with Diet Dr Pepper and Pepsi it seemed like he didn't want to live if he couldn't have chips. When the wife was getting interviewed about his eating he became Irate.
This show made me angry on 2 fronts
1. people who are considering surgery are going to think they can eat fried chicken and chips (he left a fried chicken leg for his protien snack later)
2 this also reinforces the stereotype that surgery's not work to lose
I wish they would have shown him having a negative side effect or trying to do something on plan
ugh sorry for the vent!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

oh kier- don't apologise! i think your comments are right on. and i have so many like that!

here's one - there's no doubt that this couple has major relationship issues - and they're showing up in the FOOD and the feeding behavior. yet, there was not one word about psychological support or counseling or behavior modification going on here! it was all about food=love.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Food = Love ??? wow, what a concept LOL

Thats my life story Jiffy.... my first love was food, and the relationship is a ***** to break off.

When the pharmaceutical industry comes up with a drug on how to survive relationship breakups... I WANT THAT ONE !!!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #14  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

Oh, I saw this show. My partner and I watched it. For me, it really empnasized how food is an addiction for some of us. It would be like me living under a bridge, killing myself with crack and my loved ones bringing me crack because they love me, because i would 'rip them to shreds,' etc. Denial is also key in his addiction. Very sad. His wife is a key enabler and has no clue.
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #15  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I saw this show a couple months back. I couldn't help but think the wife was afraid to put her foot down. She was very much an enabler and he was a master at manipulation. Personally, I'd leave his fat butt and if he had to walk to go get that junk at least he'd get some exercise. Sorry for my opinion, but he treated her like crap.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote