Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #1  
Shar

S/C/G: 280/149/140

Default Honey, I'm home!!

Well ladies, Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I did end up having some complications that kept me in the hospital for a day or so longer. I had a major reaction to Heprin (the anti clotting drug they give you after) and well it basically made me bleed internally. They didn't have to go back in, but 5 units of blood later (over 2 days) and Now my surgeon tells me that I'll be bruised purple until about MAY! (and nope, he wasn't kidding) all that extra blood they gave me in just being absorbed in my abdomen as a large bruise. I couldn't eat too much in the hospital. Their bullion tasted like SALT WATER and can we just talk about diet HOSPITAL jello????? It's not jello in the sense that we're used to. At my pre-assesment appt I weighed in at 282. And right before surgery I was at 269. Now I'm back to about 280 or so, I weighed but b/c I'm still a bit weak I couldn't be as steady on the scale as I had hoped. but all the additional fluids (IV & blood) it's no wonder, right? I was wondering if anyone that has had this done as had the complication of back pain. My tummy doesn't hurt all that bad (when it's about an hour or so past medication time, it does) but other than that I'm not in any pain except my back. I dunno if it's because of the hospital bed, or b/c I just can't move it (like to crack or adjust it) like I would normally do. But it's gotten so bad that I've taken my pain meds just a bit early tonight b/c of it. Anyone else experience this?

Oh and I"m not sure who it was but Yes, Tricare Prime does pay for Lap RNY if you pass the medical necessary part. I had such issues (high b/p, arthritis, GERD w/ Barret's esophagus, joint pain, PCOS, IBS) and was taking up to 22 pills a day, that it was determined that it was cheaper for them to pay for the surgery than to pay for my meds for the rest of my life. Usually you just need to be 100 lbs or more overweight (without issues) and they'll do it b/c the co-morbidities are gonna catch up with you at some point.

And thanks to all of you that mentioned my daughter. I hope someday to be the mommy I wanted to be for her, to her brother and/or sister in the future. (Hugs)

XOXOXO,
Sharmel
USAFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #2  

Wow, you hit a bump or two on the road and I'm sure you're very happy to be home. I imagine it will take a few weeks to feel like you're back to some good energy levels and recovered from your ordeal.

But the good news is, you're done with the surgery. You're home. And you're on your way. Keep up the regular posts and make sure you drink enough water!!!
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

sharmel - thank goodness you're OK!!!!!! what a rollercoaster!

as for the back pain, it could be a couple of things - like the fact that you've been inactive for awhile, along witht he fact that with the lap procedure, they basically pump gas into you so that they can get better access to your innards. it takes a few days for it to dissipate, and it can make you feel achy -

and about the weight gain - several people had that problem, but it went away once the excess fluid cleared. you'll be fine [yeah, i'm an optimist]

so what's next???? details, darlin, details!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #4  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Sharmel, I had the back pain from being inactive. And yes those hospital beds do a number on you.
Glad to know you are home,,,
hugs,
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #5  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Glad you are home and recovering, now on to the new skinny you!!

JiffyPop : I just want to say, how courageous of you. I see your start weight, and then weight at gastric bypass. Now your current weight, I cant imagine, how wonderful you feel!! Congrats!
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad to hear you're home and on the mend. There were a couple of times during my first week after surgery I thought, "Oh my God what have I done?" But now I tell everybody I'd do it again in a heart beat.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Very glad to hear you are home. Those hospital beds do cause some back pain. The advice above about the gas that was pumped into your abdomen for any laparascopic procedure is correct. Keep smiling and you will get through this. Good luck and God Bless
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #8  
banned

Hi I'm new here.
But welcome back and nice to hear you're doing well.
dan1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:00 AM   #9  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Sharmel, So sorry about all you went through, these are some things I haven't heard anyone talk about on here, so I guess that makes you the expert on those, huh?? I would bet as soon as you get your strength back up & can move around some you will start feeling better--Yeah, my hospital's jello wasn't the greatest either.
Loodie

P.S Welcome dan1st!!
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote