Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #1  
I am Anti-Fat

S/C/G: 364/361/170

Height: 5' 7"

Default Gastric Surgery

Hello out there. I have been reading your posts about this surgery. I'm concerned. I've been kicking the idea around, but I'm afraid. I'm afraid that later on maybe 1 or 2 years, there may be some leakage or something where they may have to go back in and repair something.

Can any of you who are interested and can tell me about your anxities if you had any, or how you did right after the surgery and then the couple of days that followed I would be very greatful. But please, if you could just message me that would be great. I just don't want to miss any replies. I would really love to do this, but as I said I am concerned. I did read a couple of posts here where the ladies had done just fine and was doing great with eating. To give you an example of how I did with my gall-bladder surgery, (hope this helps in some way), I had a gall-bladder attack, following it one week later I had surgery to have it removed. They were going to take it out through that scopy way in which they make the 3 little holes, well turned out it was so bad they had to do a full surgery. This took 3 hours. When I was finally in my room I was doing just fine. I hardly used the Morphine machine they hook you up on, because I was in no pain. The doctor let me go the 2nd day.

I told you this just to give you an idea as to how easy I bounced back from that surgery, and I'm wondering if I had gastric by-pass would I bounce back just as well with it?

Thank you all in advance.
fawnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #2  

There are serious risks involved with all forms of WLS fawnice, and its critical to be well aware of what they are. Nobody can give you a rose colored version of these risks and still be responsible. Yes, you may well have the surgery and come through flying with no complications to speak of at all! That has been the reality of many. You haven't mentioned your age, or other health issues that may be factors. You did recover well from the gall bladder problems. But this will be uncharted territory for you. Its a matter of balance, education, judgement and also I believe of intuition. Its not a decison to go into lightly but if its what you DO decide, optimism is so important all the way through.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote