Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #1  

Default Can I hang out here?

I haven't had WLS and due to medical conditions, I would never be a candidate. I developed severe gastroparesis (GP-chronic nausea & vomiting) from a simple flu bug almost 5 years ago. It damaged the nerves to my stomach, which means my stomach doesn't empty as fast as it should. That led to not being able to get enough calories/nutrition in and eventually I ended up on a feeding tube that bypassed my stomach. Due to how much GP screwed up my metabolism and other health problems that limited my activity levels, I ended up regaining all of the weight I originally lost, though it has been stable for 2 1/2 years since I have been able to be a little more active when some other health issues were dealt with. The GP is still bad enough that I can't completely get off the feeding tube plus I need it for my meds. I am trying to eat what I can, but the nausea is still bad enough that I can't always get the minimum calories/nutrition I need. Other days, I do better but then I tend to overeat- especially 'comfort foods' or end up eating empty calories because they tend to be easier to tolerate (or at least more appetizing ).

It is so tough that some days I struggle to get enough calories/nutrition in and other days I need to 'diet'- it feels like I have 'multiple-diet-personalities' or something. I've worked with nutritionist & dietitians- I know in theory what I need as far as diet/calorie/nutrition goes...but we all know that theory is much neater then reality...otherwise none of us would need to diet. With the GP, I need to eat a low fat, low fiber diet. I can't have any raw vegetables, very few raw fruits, etc...and unfortunately I never liked most cooked vegetables except potatoes (I literally come from a family of potato farmers). I am also allergic to a lot of corn derivatives like corn syrup, caramel food coloring, etc & I have to limit the amount of protein I eat at any one time as I lost a kidney due to a congenital defect.

I can only eat a little at a time and it takes forever to eat even small amounts most days. That is what got me thinking about WLS and that, in ways, I have a lot in common with many of you. The only real difference that I'm aware of is that I can have more sugar, and in fact I need to have it sometimes to help my stomach empty- in other words, 'dumping' is actually good in my situation. Can any of you give me any tips or recommendations? What is a typically day like for you in regards to food/eating? Do you mind if I hang out here?
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh pookie. i've been wondering how your sweet mom is doing. oh dear.

and christine - of course you're welcome to hang out here. i'm not sure anyone has ever asked PERMISSION before!!!!

not quite sure what to say about your food issues right now, but i'm sure someone will have some wisdom to share. who knows.. maybe it'll be me! but not until tomorrow. it's late and i'm too tired to think straight. so more tomorrow!!!!

nice to meet you...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Christine

These are the best ladies ever and if anyone can help its them.

Pookie sorry your mom is ill. We will miss you when your gone. HUGS

Jiffy must be tired b/c she is a book of knowledge
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #4  

Thank you all for the welcome I had been a member here a long, long time ago and was pretty active in the 100lb Club- back before we even had the 100lb Club (we started out in Buddy Up & then during a make over of the boards we got our own little place to hang out). One thing that would really help is if you can dirrect me to posts or links that describe what you can eat after WLS. I've seen the 'clinical' descriptions from various weight loss clinics- good information, but I know 'theory' is a lot different then 'reality'. What do you do when you feel sick & can't eat? How do you meet your nutritional needs on those days? How do you get enough water/fluid in? I feel like, that for me now, I have to think about food so much of the time...if I don't keep on top of it & make it a focus I end up in trouble by not eating and/or getting balanced nutrition in. And we all know what happens when we don't eat enough- somehow I end up 'bingeing' on high cal/low nutrition foods- UGGHHHH!!!!
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

hmmmm. what should christine eat? an interesting question. for those of us with the gastric bypass, our biggest challenge is eating enough protein. in most cases, right after surgery, that means 60-80 grams per day. after a year or two, that drops to about 40 grams [a bit higher in some people, a bit lower in others].

so, we rely on protein supplements, especially at the beginning. as time goes on, we get to add soft veggies, then a little fruit, then other carbs.

and, of course, low fat and low sugar. right now - more than 3 years out, i eat higher protein, veggies at every meal, and unrefined carbs like wasa crackers, steel cut oats, wheatberries. in short, not what you can eat!!!!

we always have an eye on the glycemic index of foods as well.

soooo, i'm not quite sure if this helps you. have you tried a little protein powder mixed into yogurt? what's your protein limit per meal? what do the dieticians tell you?

we'll help you figure this out - i promise
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:38 PM   #6  
gbo

Girl you sure have been dealing with some health issues!!! Of course you are welcome, I too was in the 100 pound club ,lost 103 lbs was layed up for nearly a year and guess what it all came back and added a few pounds with it! Beginning anew!
Pam
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote